News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timing problem

Started by Grip64, April 15, 2009, 05:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grip64

Fella's have a problem with new build not wanting to start, and i have run out of ideas  ::)

When trying to start the motor its blowing back though the carb ( flames ) like the timing is WRONG.

The TDC mark on the Damper is correct, i have checked with piston stop.

The cam is dialed in.

Distributor is instailed correct, NOT 180* OUT.

Had two carbs on with the same results, So its timing for sure...

Motor is a 440.

Can anyone HELP, i'm losing the will to live  :brickwall:

Thanks.

oldschool

DOULBE CHECK THE FIRING ORDER ,ALSO TRY CHECKING THE TIMING FOR NO.1 FIRING POSITION  :scratchchin:
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!

Back N Black

When you checked number 1 for TDC was it on the compression stroke? because it will also show correct on the damper if its on the exhaust stroke. Pull the cap off and set it up TDC on compression and the rotor button should be pointing at number 1 on the cap. Kinda make sense.

maxwellwedge

It sure sounds like 180 to me or timing waaay of. Do as suggested. Pull cap, stick your finger in #1 spark plug hole, bump motor a little at a time and watch timing mark. You'll know when you are on the compression stroke......keep bumping a little at at a time until mark lines up and then check to see if the rotor is pointing at #1

Grip64

Thanks for your input fella's.

But yes the firing order is correct.
1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke, NOT EXHAUST STROKE.
TDC mark on the damper is correct.
I HAVE TRIPLE CHECKED THIS.

This is a NEW build, but this is the first time i have built a motor with a CUSTOM grind cam.
Even though i have dialed the cam in, i'm thinking there may be something wrong with the cam timing ???
Is there a way of checking this without removing the timing cover ???

Thanks again.

Chryco Psycho

w2here are you trying to set the timing , I would have around 16* initial timing in the engine at idle with a total of 36-38* above the advance curve

john108

I remember reading another post where the question was raised concerning aligning the dots on the timing chain gears.  Is it possible the timing gear on the cam is 180 degrees out?  Dots together vs both pointing up?

Chryco Psycho

makes no difference both dots at 12 position is firing #1 cylinder
dots at 6 & 12 is firing #6

Steve P.

I know this is a few months old, but there is no answer to running or not at this point and this is a question that comes up very often, so I am going to post this as if you were starting out.

((It sounds like incorrect ignition wiring to me also))..

Small block = clockwise rotation

B & RB       = Counter clockwise

All mopar V-8's are 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

The cam turns 1 revolution for every 2 revolutions of the crank. Understanding that tells you that it doesn't matter if the dots are set at 6 or 12 o'clock positions because the very next rotation of the crank will align them if set wrong.

It is easiest and more efficient to set the distributor with the drivers side valve cover off and watching your intake valve open and close on number 1 cylinder while turning the crank by hand. Turning the motor over by hand is easiest with no spark plugs in the heads. Once you have a closed intake valve, continue to turn the crank to the TDC locating mark and set your distributor in the block with the rotor pointing to or barely before #1. Follow the rotation for your motor and install the plugs with the wires to follow and you can't miss. Once the motor is running, set your distributor timing as needed.

Hope this helps....  :cheers:

Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

62dodge

Is your dist new? I went thru 3 new elect dist on my 383 cuda before I got a good one both were out of phase. The dealer said that he tested them before they were sent out this was a lie.  This took me 2 months of fighting with the cuda and the dealer before I got it running

Challenger340

I know it's a new build,
but,
if this problem persists, you may wish to entertain going back to the beginning, and starting fresh with a Compression test ? 
Just wondering if you don't have a soft seating Intake Valve ?

You "dialed" the Cam in, what was the Intake C-Line ?  Grind ?

Does it flame worse when you pump the crap outa the pedal, THEN start cranking it ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !