News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much movement of the bore happens when a torque plate is used?

Started by Blakcharger440, April 04, 2008, 05:53:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blakcharger440

I had spoken to a couple of engine machine shops here in town and one machinist told me that he would not even recommend using a torque plate as almost no movement of the bore actually occurs when it is done anyway or at least not enough to make a huge difference on whether the cylinder was bored with a torque plate or without.

I am looking for a local place to take my block for my 440/512 buildup.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on April 04, 2008, 05:53:52 PM
I had spoken to a couple of engine machine shops here in town and one machinist told me that he would not even recommend using a torque plate as almost no movement of the bore actually occurs when it is done anyway or at least not enough to make a huge difference on whether the cylinder was bored with a torque plate or without.

I am looking for a local place to take my block for my 440/512 buildup.
All I know is the guy that rebuilt my engine has been doing this all his life and did it that way on my 440.  He explained it in detail and It made sense to me.  Basically he bored the motor walls to a shape that was under the same stress as when the head is bolted on.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

chargerbr549

You don't have to use a torque plate since the factory didn't use one but its one area that you can improve on cylinder sealing, longer ring life and quicker break in, every block will be probably be different but on several 440's we checked using the torque plate the bore distorted out of round between .003-.004" after the torque plate was removed from the freshly honed cylinder. If you have access to one I would definately use it.

Kevin

firefighter3931

Attention to detail during the machining process seperates the average engines from the excellent ones. If the shop won't use a torque plate for the boring and finish honing then i would find another shop.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Musicman

Rob R

A fair bit of movement can be seen with your own eyes especially around the head bolt area where it's very pronounced...see it every time with the first stroke  of the hone...who ever says a tq plate is not needed has never honed a block... :Twocents:

aifilaw

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 04, 2008, 09:33:10 PM
Attention to detail during the machining process seperates the average engines from the excellent ones. If the shop won't use a torque plate for the boring and finish honing then i would find another shop.  :Twocents:

Ron

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree: :iagree:
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Ghoste

Just one look at the restrictions to race in stock eliminator should answer that one.  The fact that those cars can run so quickly and do it exactly the way they were "supposed" to come from the factory is all the evidence to support what Ron said.  That's the difference between engine rebuilding and engine blueprinting.

superduperbee

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 04, 2008, 09:33:10 PM

Ron

I totally agree, find another shop. Block preparation is critical to long engine life. it does no good to throw state of the art parts into an egg shaped cylinder.

Blakcharger440

Yep thats what I thought also. I was already looking for another shop by the 4th reply. Done and Done!  :smash: