News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine/trans on K frame installed with no lift possible or not?

Started by 4aThrill, April 07, 2008, 07:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4aThrill

Putting the engine and trans all in once without a lift can it be done and what's needed?
I've been pondering on how to put the engine with headers/trans sitting on the K frame in from under the car with no lift. The car will be freshly repainted; this is a 71 Charger 383/727. I have seen some photos of other front ends up in the air so the engine/trans can be slid under into position and then slowly lowered down and such.  :D  Has anyone tried this or done something similar and what were the pros and cons anything you would have done different? Meaning was it easier than doing the basic engine and trans from the top then under the car?  :scratchchin:  I do have some time before I will be putting anything back in to the car but I like map out what and how things will be done in order.   :popcrn:

BigBlackDodge

I think it can be done................someone posted pics on this a long time ago. I believe they used an engine crane to move the car to the engine/tranny.

BBD

472 R/T SE

Having a lift makes the procedure a really nice way of doing it.  Afterall that's how the factory does it.  As long as I have a lift available that's the only way to do it.  You need a little dolly system for the drivetrain & k member assembly.  W/o a lift, you'll just have to rig up the cherry picker to lift the front of the car.
We (with me mostly holding wrenches) had mine dropped in a little over two hours with a lift and built dolly system.

Here's how Kori Alexander does it.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

4aThrill

sweet  :drool5:  having the hood on there seems not right when doing that  :slap:

4aThrill

say that I do put the engine and trans in from under the car with aftermarket headers. how do I replace the starter if it goes out? just thinking out of the box with some problems that may happen if I go this way. if I go the other way of putting the engine and trans from top I would already have the dings and such on the headers and know how to get them out  :lol: 

y3chargerrt

The hood is installed so the hood, hinges, bolts etc can be painted at once. Installing a mini starter with headers should help with clearance issues.

4aThrill

the headers still need to be loosened and some what moved around but I have only have used dynomax and super comp Hooker headers which were really fun  :pullinghair:  :smilielol: but it was alright got to check everything else while I was down there