News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

sure grip question

Started by rusty lee, April 03, 2008, 10:07:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rusty lee

I saw an ad for a sure grip rear and it said  Dana style. in the reasearch I've done I found 2 styles a cone or clutch. what would a Dana style be?   Thanks

firefighter3931

Quote from: rusty lee on April 03, 2008, 10:07:22 AM
I saw an ad for a sure grip rear and it said  Dana style. in the reasearch I've done I found 2 styles a cone or clutch. what would a Dana style be?   Thanks

The Dana style would be the clutch plate suregrip which was originally std equipment in 741/742 8.75in housings.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

rusty lee

Is there an advantage to either kind? or do they both work well I'm not building a monster just want to lay down some dual rubber.    :drive:

69charger440

Well I think the clutch type can be rebuild, while the cone type cant. I am not sure about this 100%. But I do recall something to this sort. I was always told to go with the clutch type! hope this helps
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

mr. happy

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 03, 2008, 10:46:26 AM
Quote from: rusty lee on April 03, 2008, 10:07:22 AM

The Dana style would be the clutch plate suregrip which was originally std equipment in 741/742 8.75in housings.

Ron

ron , 68 down 741's will have a clutch type , 69 up are cone type ... this is assuming that the chucks are factory .

as far as answering which you want , CLUTCH TYPE , cones aren't worth their weight in SCRAP value ...

terrible one

Quote from: 69charger440 on April 03, 2008, 12:14:33 PM
Well I think the clutch type can be rebuild, while the cone type cant. I am not sure about this 100%. But I do recall something to this sort. I was always told to go with the clutch type! hope this helps

Basic rule of thumb for most people. The cone type technically can be rebuilt, but it takes someone who knows what they're doing with it and machining of the cones, etc. The clutch type kits are still available from your dealership.

69charger440

Yeah, that is what i figured!!
1969 Charger 540 Blown Hemi 1000HP, 69 Road Runner 500 Stroker 665 HP

firefighter3931

Quote from: mr. happy on April 03, 2008, 12:41:49 PM

ron , 68 down 741's will have a clutch type , 69 up are cone type ... this is assuming that the chucks are factory .

Agreed, in 69 they went to a 489 case which had the cone style SG unit so all earlier cases (741/742) came with the clutch style suregrip. Like you said all this assumes the centersections are factory....

as far as answering which you want , CLUTCH TYPE , cones aren't worth their weight in SCRAP value ...

While i agree the clutch style is preferable ; the cone SG units have worked OK for me in the past in a street application with non-sticky tires. I wouldn't be racing (slicks) with a cone style SG unit and expect it to last long, but for the street with limited traction tires they seem to work ok...from my experience. More often than not the problem is pre-existng when you buy a used centersection (with cone SG unit) that has been abused and is near the end of it's service life.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

rusty lee

thanks for info. always good to know before you buy. 

mr. happy

Quote from: firefighter3931 on April 03, 2008, 02:35:30 PM

Agreed, in 69 they went to a 489 case which had the cone style SG unit so all earlier cases (741/742) came with the clutch style suregrip. Like you said all this assumes the centersections are factory....

While i agree the clutch style is preferable ; the cone SG units have worked OK for me in the past in a street application with non-sticky tires. I wouldn't be racing (slicks) with a cone style SG unit and expect it to last long, but for the street with limited traction tires they seem to work ok...from my experience. More often than not the problem is pre-existng when you buy a used centersection (with cone SG unit) that has been abused and is near the end of it's service life.  :P

Ron

Ron , misundertanding , the 741 was used till the end of the 8 3/4 production , starting in 69 they got cone types like the 489 .

as far as the cone type being a good sure grip there is a point people miss .

think about it you are MACHINING the cones so they aren't bottom out , why did they bottom out ??? because the cones and/or the case has worn , read as metal has been ground away , all that metal went somewhere , into the oil . the 8 3/4 is a pain to change the fluid in so its one of those things people don't do . next time you take apart a rear that has a cone type take a close look at the gearing roller using a magifying glass , the surface of the rollers will be all pitted from the metal being run thru them because the oil is littered with it . the cone type is self destructing everytime the car even turns slightly .

if a person is looking for a suregrip they would be wise to steer completely clear of ANY cone type unit , even the new auburn units which, are not rebuildable, live a very short life , i've seen people post that they barely have gotten a year out of one if they have done any drag racing with it .

the spicer clutch type is the superior design

rusty lee

wow I will stay away from cone style.  sounds like clutch type is better in the long run. Thanks