News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

backfire throught the exhaust

Started by MedPhys, April 04, 2008, 03:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MedPhys

I'm not very knowledgeable about ignition timing.  If I had a backfire through the carb and the motor wouldn't start I would think that the distributor might be in 180 degrees out.  What if I get a backfire through the exhaust (very loud, I think a woman nearly peed herself based on the scream she made), but the engine will eventually start?  Which way would I need to rotate the distributor, or what could cause this?

firefighter3931

Quote from: MedPhys on April 04, 2008, 03:24:31 PM
I'm not very knowledgeable about ignition timing.  If I had a backfire through the carb and the motor wouldn't start I would think that the distributor might be in 180 degrees out.  What if I get a backfire through the exhaust (very loud, I think a woman nearly peed herself based on the scream she made), but the engine will eventually start?  Which way would I need to rotate the distributor, or what could cause this?

A backfire through the exhaust is caused by the ignition firing while the exhaust valve is open. It could be ignition related (timing) or the valve may be sticking open.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs