News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Build Sheet Fun

Started by Kevin68N71, April 03, 2008, 10:21:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin68N71

As I have written before, I have a 1968 Charger.

YEARS back (as in maybe 20) I had pulled out the rear seat bottom and noticed the build sheet stuck there, complete with the spring of the seat markings on it!  I did not know anything about build sheets at the time, but I knew enough to SAVE it, thinking that it might have some information on it that I would like to have someday, and I didn't want it to further deteriorate under the seat.  Little did I know what that sheet was.

Anyways, I may or may not still have it---pressed between an old magazine somewhere, tossed accidentally out with old magazines or papers, or lost.  I have not seen it in years, would be nice to have obviously.

That said, are there other areas I might look to find a duplicate?

I have heard many tales, curious what others have found.

Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

694spdRT

I have heard to look in the following places.

Above the glove box, under the carpet, above the gas tank,(how that would survive I have no idea), under the front seat, and in another car on the assembly line.  ;)
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

dodgecharger-fan

On top of the glove box liner.
In the headliner.
In just about any other car that came down the same assembly line. It sounds like i'm being a smart-ass - I am a little bit - but it's true.
Lots of cars come off the line with other car's build sheets.

I'd be ripping open every magazine in the house, if I were you.

I hope you do find it or a duplicate, if it exists.

Best of luck.

Kevin68N71

Thanks guys, I think I will try the easy one first, under the front seats!  The gas tank is awaiting its replacement, don't think one was ever there.

On a semi-related item I have a 1964 Olds Starfire.  It never had a glovebox liner since I had the car, just a few scraps where it had broken and not fallen completely out.  Last year I was poking around in the dash wiring (some fool rewired the front door switches, don't ask, all white wires) and a little bundle of faded brown papers flutterered to the ground.  They were the Olds build sheets, showing every option on the car and alot of interesting information.  They were duplicates so where one had broken away or was missing data, I had the other one.

I scanned them with my desktop scanner, then saved the originals in plastic.  It was amazing.  The car has a ton of options that I thought came standard with the car  (electric wing windows were one). 

I am hoping for a similar experience here, but not holding my breath!
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

Charger41971

Quote from: 694spdRT on April 03, 2008, 10:36:05 AM
I have heard to look in the following places.

Above the glove box, under the carpet, above the gas tank,(how that would survive I have no idea), under the front seat, and in another car on the assembly line.  ;)

I helped a friend drop his gas tank on a '70 Charger R/T some years ago. We found the remnants of A build sheet but not enough to tell if it was for his car. In my sons '71, we found an extra sheet for an almost identical car. The only difference was it had a white vinyl top where my sons didn't.  ;)

Tim
'71 Charger McCandless-built 383/727/3.55 SG (sons)
'06 2500 CTD

andy74

i found one for another charger in the springs of the front seat i swapped into mine,that car was totaled years ago,but the sbuild sheet was damn near mint! never found mine though

694spdRT

My '69 Charger had half of its original buildsheet because it was protecting a pristine one for a B5 blue 318 Coronet.  :-\
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

1BAD68

my 68 has it under the driver seat, there's probably only about half of it left because its so dried out, I'm afraid if I touch it it will disintegrate.

moparraw

Found mine behind the back of the back seat in nice shape. its the one that says "Lease car" on it if anyone has more info.
Did they put them behind the door panels as well?? I have not checked mine yet.