News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

White Smoke (solved). Carb questions now.

Started by Goodz, April 03, 2008, 09:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goodz

Car doesnt see mto be overheating at all, but after driving for a little bit (10 minutes or so), it's like a cloud following my car.  Any ideas what it could be?  any chance it isnt something catastrophic?
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

firefighter3931

Quote from: Goodz on April 03, 2008, 09:56:58 AM
Car doesnt see mto be overheating at all, but after driving for a little bit (10 minutes or so), it's like a cloud following my car.  Any ideas what it could be?  any chance it isnt something catastrophic?

White smoke usually indicates water/coolant is making it's way into the combustion chamber. That could mean several thngs ; blown head gasket, cracked cylinder head, cracked block. Start off with a compression check and then do a pressure check on the cooling system. The blown head gasket is the best case scenerio.

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

tkkruzer

question I have is ,is it smoke or steam ? if smoke then it could be a bad vacuum modulator. burning tranny fluid gives off white smoke. if its steam then it is more serious..let us know  :2thumbs: Tom

squeakfinder

Quote from: tkkruzer on April 03, 2008, 11:21:38 AM
question I have is ,is it smoke or steam ? if smoke then it could be a bad vacuum modulator. burning tranny fluid gives off white smoke. if its steam then it is more serious..let us know  :2thumbs: Tom

Vacuum modulator?
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

Jon Smith

Quote from: squeakfinder on April 03, 2008, 05:58:31 PM

Vacuum modulator?

GM thing, 727s dont have one...
could be burning brake fluid if the master cylinder seals are shot and you have power brakes...

RD

please state specifically where the smoke is coming from, either:

from your exhaust pipes

or

from under your car

identify the source of the smoke first, then please provide that information.  until that, it is pretty much guesswork and assumptions.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Goodz

ok, i will get more info and get back to you guys.  thanks.  couple of things to rule out though...

its a new master cylinder, new power booster, new brake lines, new vacuum lines, etc.  dont think its that stuff.

i BELIEVE the smoke is coming from the exhaust pipes, not under ther car, but not sure.  will have to find out.

at the time this was happening though, now that i think of it, it was determined that the new gas tank was leaking gas from the hole for the fuel sending unit since the idiots who put on the new gas tank didnt seal it right.  would that cause any prolem like that per chance?
"If there are two ways to interpret something I said, and one of them offends you, I meant the other one."

tkkruzer

Quote from: Jon Smith on April 04, 2008, 06:37:18 AM

Vacuum modulator?

could be burning brake fluid if the master cylinder seals are shot and you have power brakes...
well here I go again,, sticking my foot in my mouth,,,by the way furd uses them too,, but who cares I still made a fool out of myself  ::) sorry   Tom

squeakfinder

Quote from: tkkruzer on April 04, 2008, 03:48:29 PM

Vacuum modulator?

well here I go again,, sticking my foot in my mouth,,,by the way furd uses them too,, but who cares I still made a fool out of myself  ::) sorry   Tom

We all know your trying to help. Who knows, maybee he's got a turbo 350 in his Charger. 

squeakfinder

I'd think there would have to be allot of gas dumping on to your exhaust to create a big cloud.

Has your coolant level bean dropping?

aifilaw

If its cold outside condensate will come out the exhaust, true white smoke will smell heavily of antifreeze if its coming through a cracked block/head or head gasket.

Blown head gaskets happen often, and really all three of the scenario's are going to get worse... a lot worse if you leave them alone. Some are unfixable.... one is easily fixable in an afternoon (head gasket).

In my experience it is always just as easy on any old mopar to pull the intake and the heads off the engine and find one of those three causes then it is to run a compression test. If you truly have coolant coming out of your exhaust, then your compression test is going to show that anyways, the sign is already there, start pulling the heads off.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Goodz

Quote from: aifilaw on April 05, 2008, 07:09:39 PM
If its cold outside condensate will come out the exhaust, true white smoke will smell heavily of antifreeze if its coming through a cracked block/head or head gasket.

Blown head gaskets happen often, and really all three of the scenario's are going to get worse... a lot worse if you leave them alone. Some are unfixable.... one is easily fixable in an afternoon (head gasket).

In my experience it is always just as easy on any old mopar to pull the intake and the heads off the engine and find one of those three causes then it is to run a compression test. If you truly have coolant coming out of your exhaust, then your compression test is going to show that anyways, the sign is already there, start pulling the heads off.

i wish i had that kind of mechanical skill.  unfortunately, i dont.  it has been at a repair shop for a couple of months now.  they only fixed the fuel tank leak from the fuel sending unit, but havent had time to check out the engine much, other than to say that the freeze out plugs are leaking.  they are a mom and pop shop owned by a dad of one of our friends.  since there is no rush, its free storage in the meantime til we get it on the road.  i have a friend of my brothers that may be able to come over and do some engine work for me if the shop determines its something major.  thanks for all the help guys.  i promise to keep you all updated when i find out whats wrong.

Back N Black

Go to a local garage and do a leak down test, much more accurate than a compression test. plus ,it should not cost too much.

Go Hogs Go

Do you ever hear your engine detonate? The timing was slightly off on my engine causing it to detonate after it warmed up right off of idle.  When I got on it even though I did not hear any detonation I would get white smoke from the exhaust. I retarted the timing until I could not get the engine to detonate under any circumstance and guess what, no more white smoke ever.  Check your timing.
Go Hogs!

Ghoste

Quote from: squeakfinder on April 04, 2008, 05:39:12 PM
Quote from: tkkruzer on April 04, 2008, 03:48:29 PM

Vacuum modulator?

We all know your trying to help. Who knows, maybee he's got a turbo 350 in his Charger. 

Trans fluid leaking from the front pump seal on a 727 can also be a culprit.  For that matter, it can leak from the shift lever pivots, the rear seal, the speedo pinion seal...

472 R/T SE

Antifreeze being burnt has that distinct smell, kinda like gear oil.

aifilaw

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on April 08, 2008, 03:43:35 PM
Antifreeze being burnt has that distinct smell, kinda like gear oil.

But nowhere near as sexy as the smell of high octane leaded fuel exhaust scent....I swear, if they make a purfume out of that I will buy it it and pour it on my my wifes head every day.

Yes, there are several things that have a distince aroma.... antifreeze being burnt and going out the exhaust is definitely one of them.
'72 B5 Metallic Blue Hardtop
426" Wedge - Hydraulic Roller Stealth heads

Goodz

i honestly didnt get the chance to smell it.  i was driving the car at about 65 mph and i noticed the smoke, pulled over, and the car shut off on its own.  it started back up again, but didnt want to stay on.  i honestly didnt know what the smoke smelled like, and sadly, wouldnt know the difference if i did.  (except burning fuel.  i know that one)

Tilar

If it's antifreeze from a blown head gasket, you can pull the radiator cap and see if you are getting combustion pressure and gases in the cooling system while it's running.

If you are losing anti freeze and it's not sending combustion pressure into the radiator, I'd check your intake manifold or gaskets, but in this case you are probably going to have water in your oil which will give it a milky color.

Also as mentioned before, It may be brake fluid, and just because those parts are new doesn't mean they are good, and it might explain why it just started. Check the brake fluid level. Just a little bit of that stuff can create a lot of smoke.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

charger Downunder

could it be caused by a bad batch of fuel with diesel contamination.
[/quote]

Tilar

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Goodz

The white smoke (so far) seems to be gone.  I drove it home from the shop the other day and my gf drove behind me in her car.  She said she didnt see any smoke, so maybe they fixed that problem.  Of course, nothing is easy here so far, so there seems to be a new problem.  The car seems to idle low and stall out when you hit the brakes to stop the car.  After reading some posts on various sites from other people with the same problem, it sounds like it is the vacuum lines.  I will replace them ASAP to see if that is the trouble. 

The engine looks like it has a single barrel carb on it.  I havent taken it off yet, and granted I dont know much, but thats what it looks like judging by pictures I have seen of a single barrel carb.  I didnt see the butterfly like you normally see on a double barrel.  I was advised to take the carb off completely and see how many holes are in the intake manifold.  I believe the carb thats on there now is bad, but the engine needs a tune-up anyway, so I will let you guys know how that goes. 

I took some pics of the engine which I am going to post now.  It looks like there are some hoses coming out of it that the old owners so skillfully "customized" by putting BOLTS into the ends on the tubes.  I have no idea what they are for or what they might be used for, so if you know what they are for or WHY they would have done something like this, please let me know.  Let me know you thoughts about this post as a whole..

SeattleCharger

Probably was a replacement carb and didn't have all the same connections, so it looks like vacuum line points of the new carb he didn't need, he just put a couple/few inch hose on and a bolt in it.    It doesn't look cool, but it does block off that line ok.  An old Dodge truck with 318 two barrel I had had one or two of those, there is probably a cleaner looking way to do that, hopefully someone will say.
    I don't know about that carb,   looks different/unique,  wonder what the cfm is on a one barrel, look sort of big,
   maybe somewhere cheap you can find a different carb and intake, if you have to take off your intake anyways to find possible leak there . . .

Why would you want anything else?  Just give me a Charger and I'll be happy.

Steve P.

You can buy replacement vacuum plugs from most auto parts stores. Summit also has them.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

FLG

I would also change those spark plug wires to correct ones. The only correct one i see is the one with the straight boot. Might be causing some problems and i would be worried about one of them working there way loose while driving.