News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

UPPER DOOR PADS UPDATE "PRODUCTION PIECE PHOTOS"

Started by BEAPARTS, April 04, 2008, 08:16:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BEAPARTS

Here are photos of the finished 70 upper door pads.  I only have a limited number with more coming in the next week or so.  The grain is as close as we could possibly get.  Is the grain an absolute dead nuts match? Nope, not possible.  However, for anyone out side the 2% that hates all reproduction parts these are bathroom material.

I will be testing the rear pads today, if they fit as good as they look we will have a winner.  The front pads are $325 w/medallions installed and the rears will be $275 when they become available in the next 2-4 weeks.  At this point, we are not sure of colors and what the market price will be.  However, I can say we are doing white right after the blacks.  68 white will be different from 69-70.

I wanted to also post this here so people could respond, good or bad, I want to here it all.

Michael C. Ross - Owner
B/E & A Restoration Parts, Inc.

BEAPARTS

BEAPARTS

Hey, how did that 68 grille we restored for a local customer get in there?  Would you believe the grille was broken in several pieces with fins missing out of the center?  The guy we did it for swore it wasn't his and we exchanged it with an unbroken one.  No glues or epoxies here, all ABS black plastic.  We were even able to find the right rivits for the head light doors.

gasoline_24

daytonalo

PLASTIC WELDING ??? I PLASTIC WELD ALL THE TIME !

LARRY

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

BEAPARTS

Quote from: daytonalo on April 04, 2008, 08:44:33 AM
PLASTIC WELDING ??? I PLASTIC WELD ALL THE TIME !

LARRY

Plastic welding? Nope, tends to make the surrounding plastic more brittle.  The process was given to be by a chemist from Hoover vacumm company, they would repair proto-type parts with the process.  Call me Larry, I'll tell you the secret.

68charger383

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

B5 Charger

Those look great to me.  Now when will we see white 69's???

BEAPARTS

Quote from: B5 Charger on April 04, 2008, 11:10:45 AM
Those look great to me.  Now when will we see white 69's???

Jury is still deliberating on colors. Seriously, we need to check the pulse on the blacks.

Charger_Fan

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

nitrousn

Here is the simple grille repair procedure.

Start with 100% pure Acetone, buy a gallon.
Pour an ounce or so intp a glass jar (small open mouth jar). Take a scrap grill and using something sharp, scrape off peelings (like pencil shavings size) into the jar of acetone. Put allot of shavings in, the acetone will gradually melt the plastic into a goo. Add enough plastic until the goo reaches toothpaste consistancy. Once you have a good batch melted put the lid on the jar tightly and set it aside. Now, prep your grill as normal, V out cracks on both sides, etc. Use clamps near the joint to alightn the two sides flush and parralell. Smear on some plastic goo, leave it crowned up over the crack like a regular weld looks, let it cure overnight. Sand to flush the next day, fill any pinholes with JB Weld. The crack will practically dissapear at this point, paint as normal

dodgecharger-fan

gasoline_24

When might we know on the 68 white?  I am getting close and don't want to pay the Just Dashes prices unless the others aren't coming.  Just wanting some information.

BEAPARTS

Quote from: nitrousn on April 04, 2008, 12:41:59 PM
Here is the simple grille repair procedure.

Start with 100% pure Acetone, buy a gallon.
Pour an ounce or so intp a glass jar (small open mouth jar). Take a scrap grill and using something sharp, scrape off peelings (like pencil shavings size) into the jar of acetone. Put allot of shavings in, the acetone will gradually melt the plastic into a goo. Add enough plastic until the goo reaches toothpaste consistancy. Once you have a good batch melted put the lid on the jar tightly and set it aside. Now, prep your grill as normal, V out cracks on both sides, etc. Use clamps near the joint to alightn the two sides flush and parralell. Smear on some plastic goo, leave it crowned up over the crack like a regular weld looks, let it cure overnight. Sand to flush the next day, fill any pinholes with JB Weld. The crack will practically dissapear at this point, paint as normal

I would have to say you're really close and I'm sure that works well.  You may want to use something other than Acetone, if the flash time is only over night you may not be getting complete pennetration into the surrounding plastic to form a solid piece again.  What I have used is Methyl Ethel Keytone (MEK), it seems to be a little more aggressive on the plastic.  I'm sure either way will accomplish the same end result and anyone can perform it at home for almost no cost.  Cracks are pretty simple, it's when you're missing pieces or need to graft in donnor pieces that separates the men from the boys, to be able to perform the repair and no one on the planet see it once the part is finished. 

Good catch.

BEAPARTS

Quote from: gasoline_24 on April 04, 2008, 03:31:23 PM
When might we know on the 68 white?  I am getting close and don't want to pay the Just Dashes prices unless the others aren't coming.  Just wanting some information.

I can't give you a definitive date yet.  Now that the black fronts are done, I'm just now leaving to test fit the rears so we can get those out before colors will be done.  If you will take a guess, I would say weeks not months.

daytonalo

I have MEK in my shop , I do a great deal of Fiberglass work all the time .

69_500

This is just one mans opinion here. I realize that a large portion of these cars came factory with black interiors, and it makes logical sense to reproduce parts in black. However one would think that it would make just as much sense to reproduce them in White as well as black, to allow for the individual to dye the new pieces to whatever color they choose. IE would keep your cost down of only doing 2 colors. And allowing the customer to dye theirs tan, blue, red or green. Its always easier to dye something from white to another color than black. I realize that the white of interiors in 68, 69 and 70 aren't a pure white so the shades after dye might be off by a little.

ChargersETC..ETC..

Great work with uper door pads I am sure quite a few cars need them . 

You say the grain textures a little diffrent then the original well it's better then nothing reproduction wise ain't it ? :D

As for the grille repair looks good !  I tried the acetone methood (got it from a post here on DodgeCharger.com grille thread)
It worked and bonded the plastic stronger then I ever would have expected Great tip Thanks  :2thumbs:
I used a scrap piece of plastic and melted that down. But when you run out of scrap plastic will newer plastic work as good? The grilles ABS plastic isn't it?
What's a good source of cheap clean new plastic to melt down ? Black water pipe Lego's ? I found if you guess wrong and try and melt down the wrong type of plastic nothing happens my jars been sitting a couple days nothings happening yet wrong plastic don't want to mix the wrong plastics probley won't melt and if it does won't weld or fuse together properley. :smilielol:

Thanks for the Tip! :cheers:

terrible one

Looks great, just like everything else you guys have churned out!

And the grill . . .  :o :drool5:

Mike DC

Those look great!  Good enough for my eyes, that's for sure.     :cheers:

I know this isn't very high on the list of factory colors in demand, but I'd sure love to see a '69 set molded in Saddle Tan vinyl. 

On a General Lee, those upper door pads basically function as kick-plates whenever you climb in & out of the windows.  No dye job will ever last very long at all.