News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

The search for black grille paint

Started by 69bronzeT5, April 08, 2008, 11:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronzeT5

I've been on a long search for black grille paint. Somebody suggested semi-flat black paint but I couldnt find any. I went everywhere I could think of. There is still one more place to check BUT I have been experimenting with black paints to see if I could get a close match to the original shade of black on the grilles. I tried three different brands and shades.

1- Krylon "Satin Black"- marked as SAT. in picture

2- Painters Touch "Semi-Gloss Black"- marked as S-G in picture

3- Colourplace "Flat Black"- marked as F in picture

Here are the test sprays.

I have to go to the paintball store tomorrow at Lunch to buy a few things for paintballing this weekend but on Thursday or Friday, I will go check the last place I can think of for semi-flat black. I will let you guys know what I find :2thumbs:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

69bronzeT5

Quote from: terrible one on April 08, 2008, 11:45:04 PM

Whichever is cheapest, as long as it's not #2.  :Twocents:

#1 sprays and comes out like crap.  #2 comes out really good and #3 seems too flat.

terrible one

#2 just looks too shiny to me. But that's my opinion that is not in any way based on factory correct or whatever.

69bronzeT5

Quote from: terrible one on April 09, 2008, 12:15:48 AM

#2 just looks too shiny to me. But that's my opinion that is not in any way based on factory correct or whatever.

I agree, it is too shiny but it seems like the best out of those 3. I will try to find some semi-flat black at the auto parts store.

1969chargerrtse

In most grille threads we were using the SEMS semi flat black.  Can't ya just order it?  Then at lunch time you can actually eat lunch while it gets delivered to your house.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

resq302

I have always used Krylon Semi Flat black number 1613.  I think that is the number.  It is the regular stuff, not the specially bonds to plastic crap that is out there.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

Krylon is good, just keep in mind that it is a very "hot" paint. It's lacquer based, & will sometimes "eat" any paint it's sprayed over.

I think I used Plasti-Kote Satin black when I did mine. SEM is also excellent.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69*F5*SE

I used Plasti-Kote's "flexible" bumper & trim #1895 semi-gloss for plastic and metal bumpers and trim.  Again, it turned out great in my book.   :Twocents:

yeahitsgotahemi!

Hey, sweet cuda. As far as the paint, SEM trim black all the way. Stuff is awesome; sprays well, dries fast, and has great color/texture.
"I don't advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, they just always worked for me"  - Hunter S. Thompson

plum500

You might want to check out Dupli-Color Low Gloss Black - it's a high heat/engine enamel. Stuff is by far my favourite paint from a can bar none. Really nice satin finish, dries fast, it's durable, and blends really well when doing multiple coats etc. Stuff is awesome as far as I'm concerned. I'm doing all my grill brackets with it - I'm actually using a flat black for the actual grill pieces, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Works great on lots of the "little pieces".

69bronzeT5, you should be able to get some in the automotive section of Canadian Tire if you want to check the stuff out.