News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

spray bomb or brush with metallic paint?

Started by andy74, April 08, 2008, 01:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy74

i really want to get my engine bay and trunk up to snuff,and the only way i can afford/do myself would be either brush,or spary paint-prep and sanding i can do but no compressor and not enough funds and or time to allow a shop to do it,i checked with napa and they can get me the paint-what do you guys think?or should i just live with th eblack engine bay and splatter trunk for another driving season?

Ghoste

The trunk wouldn't be too bad to spray if you are careful do mask off everything on the outside but to do the engine bay well you really need to yank the negine and a lot of other parts underhood.  For that, I'd tough it out for another year.

andy74

i re read the thread o moparts about the cheap paint job,and im thinking i may try that under the hood,the undreside of my hood is painted to match the car,just the firewall and inner fenders need to be painted,they are flat black right now-im going to have a few beers and think about it right now!

Charger-Bodie

Andy, Id just hold off 'til you can do it right.

Something needing to be done looks better than something done wrong.  :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

terrible one

For my situation, being broke and not being able to or caring about repairing the rust on my car, etc. spray paint was just fine. I used rattle cans for the engine bay due to all of the creases, etc. and for the rest of the car I rolled the paint on as the thread on Moparts suggests. Three coats and wetsanding, and it really looks good. Now I'm not going to lie either, the durability of the spray paint is definitely sub-par, even when prepped right (at least, I tried my hardest to prep it right!). I suggested the spray paint method simply because it seems like you're in the same position as me (I can't pay for anyone to paint the car, don't have a compressor, etc.) but then again your car is a lot nicer than mine . . .

71_Charger_R/T

Quote from: 1hot68 on April 08, 2008, 09:06:24 PM
Andy, Id just hold off 'til you can do it right.

Something needing to be done looks better than something done wrong.  :Twocents:

:iagree: 100%

andy74

i have to agree that id rather leave it then do it wrong,i am just really bored and really broke right now,and it would give me something to do in my free time

charger2fast4u

i'd spray paint it for the time being but thats my  :Twocents: i'll be spray painting my whole car this summer because i can't afford  to get it painted as long as it looks half decent i don't care

gtx6970