News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1974 Charger Rally 400-4V

Started by moparterry, April 01, 2008, 06:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparterry

I have a 1974 Charger Rally with 400-4V. I found another 74 Charger in a junk yard with a manual sun roof on it.
Would like to know if putting the sun roof on my car would hurt the value of my car?
1953 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe (331 HEMI)
1966 Plymouth Valiant coupe (MP 360 - 4speed)
1974  Dodge Charger Rally (400 - auto)
1981 Chrysler Imperial (rare moon roof)

FLG

Are we talking a numbers matching, un-molested car?

Fitz73Chrgr

74 Rallye Chargers are pretty rare, and the value of them is bound to go up.  Right now I don't think it would hurt the value much if it were installed properly, but down the road you never know.  If you don't put the sunroof inu its still worth picking up as I'm sure you could get a decent chunk of change for it. 

:Twocents:
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

moparmusclecars

I'd grab the 74 in the yard and hang on to it for a while. You don't need to make a decision right away on whether to install it in your car. Either way, if you decide not to use it, sell the yard 74 car to someone. If you decide to install it, then you can at a later date. You win both ways!

rudyjrusa

Quote from: moparterry on April 01, 2008, 06:11:26 PM
I have a 1974 Charger Rally with 400-4V. I found another 74 Charger in a junk yard with a manual sun roof on it.
Would like to know if putting the sun roof on my car would hurt the value of my car?

is the manual sunroof in good shape??  i have one on my 1974 charger and it's great. 

moparterry

Yes my car is numbers matching, except the engine. The 74 at the junk yard is total junk except the roof, which I want to cut the top off(the only good part of the whole car).
1953 Chrysler New Yorker Deluxe (331 HEMI)
1966 Plymouth Valiant coupe (MP 360 - 4speed)
1974  Dodge Charger Rally (400 - auto)
1981 Chrysler Imperial (rare moon roof)

Doright

Early 71 & 72 Sunroof cars are rare as the cars were shipped to American sunroof for instal.
73 74 cars not as rare as they were installed at the factory by way of a kit from American sunroof.
Sunroof Parts from 71-72 do not interchange with each other or interchange with 73-74 cars.
All 73-74 were Manual crank roofs and parts are interchangeable with each other I THINK! I would have to ask a friend of mine who is the expert.

(All info is just my info and some facts may be wrong! but I am not far off)

I would pick up the roof for parts do not let it get crushed IF THE CAR IS NOT SALVAGABLE
If it is salvageable and you have a place to store it pick it up.
Rarest parts in there are the cables and the drive gear which drive the roof they are non existent and what's out there is it! no one is making parts for them some one that needs the cables will kiss you for saving them. The panels are dif rent sizes and I haven't seen them go to hi price when available if the hand crank is there and in good shape grab it as well.
Last set of cables I saw on ebay went in the $300.00+ range 71-72 way more than that!
If you buy to resell parts make sure you add states they are for 73-74 as they will not work in 71-72.
Also marks which cable is left and right they cannot be swapped and they look exactly alike. 
The cables are VERY hard to find. And they break very easily if the roof is not maintained properly.

Replacing or installing the roof in another car would take a master sheet metal guy.
And like what has already been said your car is already rare, a poorly installed roof would defiantly diminish its value.

When it comes to these roofs you here the term "Dealer installed". I have never seen a dealer installed roof but it could of happened.
The price of this mod at a dealership to any car would have been astronomical though It is not an easy thing to do properly.
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

Doright

Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more