News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I put a fiberglass 6 pack hood on my 69?

Started by Hemidoug, April 01, 2008, 12:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackcharger

if your doing a 100 point show car, no. but if you're doing a car to drive and have fun with it, hell yeah. besides, if it was good enough for the Dandy One, then it';s good enough for the rest of us. I've seen 2nd Gens with a Six Pak scoop. looks pretty damn good. remember that Direct Connection ad a few years ago with a '69? had the Six Pak scoop and the chin spoiler. never thought a '69s looks could be improved upon till I saw that.

bzabodyn

Quote from: CB on April 01, 2008, 03:46:28 PM
I love the 6 pack hood on a 2nd gen!!

Just needs the black "H" Wheels and that would be one mean, all-black beast!

BZ
1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

Joshs68

I like em . I was thinking of putting on on my car as well

CB

So what should I do?
Here is another view of the car. Maybe someone can photo shop one on to see what it would look like...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21149.0.html

you can ask ds440 , he does magical things with photoshop  :2thumbs:
CB
1968 Dodge Coronet 500

68charger383

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

ds440

My vote is no. :Twocents:

The reason?  Once at the local track was a guy with a '67 Charger.  It looked nice, but it didn't look to be anything special.  Stock interior with a 4pt cage, a dash tach, stock seats, etc.  Being the only Mopar there, I chatted with the guy briefly.  He told me the car was a "basic 440 street/strip cruiser."

Well you should have seen everybody's jaw drop as he ran a 9.90!!!  On DOT tires!  Through exhausts! :o

So I come running up to him after his run and he's laughing.  He pops the hood and underneath is some B1-headed behemoth.

My long-winded point?  Sometimes it pays to be a sleeper.... :yesnod: :angel:

(I found out later he was a runner-up at a 'fastest street car' challenge)

I've been following your Hemi rebuild.  Keep us posted.

Good luck, Doug. :cheers:
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

resq302

Doug, I would vote no only because, I think it would be TOO much black on your car then.  After all, you have the all black vinyl roof, black interior, and black tail stripe.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

BrianShaughnessy

Here's another  :Twocents:

How about a up22.com  3.5" cowl induction hood painted pewter   :scratchchin:

You got another set of wheels instead of the magnums?
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

charge1

go for it i think they look great

Joshua

Dick Landy used various scoops on his cars.....I think the '67 WO23 scoop looked best. Then the Hemi Dart scoops...... :2thumbs:

charger01

I say no.  It just looks odd.  I think it interupts the design of the hood.  with the stock hood indentions it looks like out of place with a hoodscoop covering half of them up.

Arkgl01

Where do you get them? I was told they didnt make one that fit a charger and body work would be exspensive?
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

gj69charger

Lowprofile

A Six-Pac Hood & a set of Centerlines for the race and your good to go!

My bro runs that combo on his 68' GTX when he goes to the track.  :2thumbs:

Looks good on this mad max 68'!
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

Hemidog

Joshua

Quote from: Lowprofile on April 03, 2008, 02:59:21 PM

That's NOT a Sixpack scoop.....it's a Hemi Dart scoop..... ;)

alenglish

I say  go for  it     Big  Al
>You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape.  If it doesn't move
>and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct
tape.
>

R2

Doug,
I would do it,,,,,,,,,,,,,I have one on my Charger,,,see pic,,,,,,
When i did mine,,,i didnt want to mess with the original hood,,,so that was taken off and put into safe storage,,,,,,,
I ordered a glass hood,,,hinge style,,,,with light weight springs,,,so i didnt need anybody to help me remove the hood,,,,,i had the hood company (VFN),,,graft on a 3" scoop,,,,and it turned out nice.....
For what you are going to do,,,i dont see a down side,,,it will put some fresh/cool air into the carb,,,,,and you could even seal the carb to the hood scoop.........
its lighter,,,,,quicker ET (not much, but it helps )

you can put it on and remove it,,,,,and put your old hood on,,,,in a matter on minutes....................

I miss my stock hood "at times",,,,,but as far as performance,,,,,( and looks,,,to me ) i like the glass hood,,,and scoop,,,,,,,,,,,

I painted mine organisol black,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I have a 5" scoop on my Belvedere,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it DOES help with performance............

good luck at PINKS<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

if you were closer,,,,we could just bolt my Charger hood on your car for the weekend......................

Doug

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: bull on April 03, 2008, 03:08:44 PM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on April 01, 2008, 12:55:19 PM
NO.

:icon_smile_cool:

:down: :iagree:

Did you feel a breeze over top of your head?    ::)   

I know Doug,  Doug knows me.  He's seen my hood a bunch of times.     If mine was the orgasmol black I'd drive my car over to his place before Pinks and let him borrow it for the show.  In Doug's in a pinch and don't care about gloss black then the offer is open anyway.   But I'm reading he's looking for a season long solution and not just the weekend.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

mally69

Just my  :Twocents:  But I think you should do it. In my mind it looks great, I  have a six pack glass hood for a 68-69 charger and I am going to put it on my next charger gauranteed, well I kinda have to. :D

suntech

Just remember the speed limit on fibreglass hoods, with pins to hold´em down :D :D :D :D
Was´nt that 153 mph???
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

Lowprofile

Quote from: Joshua on April 03, 2008, 03:51:17 PM
Quote from: Lowprofile on April 03, 2008, 02:59:21 PM

That's NOT a Sixpack scoop.....it's a Hemi Dart scoop..... ;)

Well, I guess you told me. I'll go stand in the corner now...... :'(
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL