News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Door glass alignment question

Started by 69chargerrt, March 31, 2008, 10:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69chargerrt

Actually, my question is not about the glass alignment with the door but the alignment of the glass with the chrome trailing edge guide piece.  In reassembling the passenger side door on my '69 Charger I noticed that the trailing edge piece didn't quite align with the top edge of the rolldown door glass.   That is, it sticks out about 1/8" to 3/16" above the top edge of the glass itself.    As far as I know, this guide piece is glued on the glass, correct?   I'm assuming that over the years the glue lost it's 'grip' and the chrome piece managed to slip upwards on the glass.

Can this be fixed?   Or would I be better off just leaving it alone?   The door seems to close ok,  but I wanted to verify this before I reassemble the interior door pieces in case I need to make an adjustment/repair.

Thanks!
David

'69 Dodge Charger R/T

keepat

David,
You could try spraying it inside and out with soapy water and taping it down. Or you can remove it and use black double side tape on the the glass (both sides), soap up the tape and trim, slide the trim on.
Good luck!
Pat

69chargerrt

I think I'll try the soapy water idea first- I'd rather not remove the glass if I don't have to.   :eek2:

Thanks!
David

'69 Dodge Charger R/T

Shakey

I used glass setting tape which is not really tape as it has no adhesive, but a thin sheet of rubber.  I removed the SS trim, polished it, put a new rubber/felt seal and put it back on.  It will be very snug, which is good.

The first photo shows what it looked like before I took it apart.  You can see that there is a small gap at the top where the SS trim sits over the glass.  This would cause a wind whistle I am guessing which is why when I put mine back on I was sure to have some of the glass setting tape go over the top of the window.

I may have covered it in this thread.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,28517.0.html

69chargerrt

Quote from: Shakey on April 02, 2008, 07:34:33 AM

I used glass setting tape which is not really tape as it has no adhesive, but a thin sheet of rubber.  I removed the SS trim, polished it, put a new rubber/felt seal and put it back on.  It will be very snug, which is good.

The first photo shows what it looked like before I took it apart.  You can see that there is a small gap at the top where the SS trim sits over the glass.  This would cause a wind whistle I am guessing which is why when I put mine back on I was sure to have some of the glass setting tape go over the top of the window.

I may have covered it in this thread.

Thanks for the URL- lot of great info!  I've now got it bookmarked :)

On the first photo- mine's got a gap about twice that of what you have in the pic :(   I think if I'm careful I can use the soapy water to carefully slide the strip back into place.   But if the soapy water trick doesn't work then I guess I'll have to take the glass out and replace the tape.  Not looking forward to having to do that :P

'69 Dodge Charger R/T

69chargerrt

Quote from: Shakey on April 02, 2008, 07:34:33 AM

Well, got some interesting news....

The soapy water worked.   Worked too well :)    Actually I think it was loose on the glass to begin with - I had soaked down the mounting area with the soapy water, then took a rubber deadblow mallet to the top edge of the chrome strip with the idea of GENTLY tapping on it to A) work the water down into the join and B) seeing if it had any give at all.    Yes it had give- lots of it.   It popped back into place just like that, but it concerns me that it's such a loose fit - I can slip the chrome strip off the glass by hand.    Now with the glass still in place I THINK I can slip the chrome strip off to the point where I can remove the old padding/adhesive and add this glass setting tape to provide a tigher join.      But where can I find this tape?

'69 Dodge Charger R/T

bill440rt

Instead of the tape you are referring to, go down to your local Pep Boys, auto parts store, auto body supply house, etc & pick up a roll of 3M butyl tape, or windshield sealant ribbon (same stuff).
Stretch a piece out to a thin string, peel the molding back & lay this inside. Press the two together & the molding isn't going anywhere. Or, try to put a bead of liquid urethane (for windshields) in the molding groove.

These methods are much easier as you do not have to remove the original ribbon that's in there.
Good Luck!  :thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69chargerrt

Quote from: bill440rt on April 14, 2008, 08:23:31 AM
Instead of the tape you are referring to, go down to your local Pep Boys, auto parts store, auto body supply house, etc & pick up a roll of 3M butyl tape, or windshield sealant ribbon (same stuff).
Stretch a piece out to a thin string, peel the molding back & lay this inside. Press the two together & the molding isn't going anywhere. Or, try to put a bead of liquid urethane (for windshields) in the molding groove.

These methods are much easier as you do not have to remove the original ribbon that's in there.
Good idea!   One question though- making the assumption that the tape/ribbon has some thickness to it...  Given that the tape/ribbon would add a little bit of width to the glass/molding (possibly causing some interference when the window is rolled up/down), would I be better off using the liquid urethane?   Or will it compress down when I reinstall the molding?

'69 Dodge Charger R/T

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: 69chargerrt on April 14, 2008, 10:18:13 AM
Quote from: bill440rt on April 14, 2008, 08:23:31 AM

Good idea!   One question though- making the assumption that the tape/ribbon has some thickness to it...  Given that the tape/ribbon would add a little bit of width to the glass/molding (possibly causing some interference when the window is rolled up/down), would I be better off using the liquid urethane?   Or will it compress down when I reinstall the molding?

IMO W/S urethane would be youre best bet.

Just be carful with it , it can be very messy . :Twocents:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............