News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Magnum 500s

Started by dd44068, March 31, 2008, 08:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd44068

I need a little help. I have a set of magnum 500s on my charger they are not very old and they are starting to show signs of a little rust. The car is garaged kept and rims are dried off after every wash. My question is, does anybody know of someway or somethng to help remove this? Thanks in advance Dom

Charger-Bodie

Fine sos pads or steel wool,
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mally69

I know mine are only 3 years old and the black is peeling off  :brickwall:  :flame:

A good thing to use on them once you get the rust off is called ( never dull ) or ( no dull ) its sold in a tin can with black lettering, I got mine at wal-mart. Really gives them a good shine. Actually if you rub that on the rust hard enough depending on how bad the rust is, it should pull the rust off, and also protect it from rusting again.

dd44068

Thanks for the advise. I also have the problem with the black peeling off. Any ideas on how to fix that?

mally69

I was told that there is a company that sells paint that sticks to chrome really well, but I forgot the name.

68hardchargerrt

Quote from: dd44068 on March 31, 2008, 08:33:35 AM
I need a little help. I have a set of magnum 500s on my charger they are not very old and they are starting to show signs of a little rust. The car is garaged kept and rims are dried off after every wash. My question is, does anybody know of someway or somethng to help remove this? Thanks in advance Dom

Hmmm...I bought my rims brand new about 3 years ago, and after the car was outside for only the first 9 months or so, they started to pit and now are rusting more heavily.  This is even despite cleaning them with chrome cleaner and removing the rust repeatedly.  I wonder if you bought them from the same place I did.  I know it is simplly LOUSY, CHEAP, LOW QUALITY chrome plating from the wheel company.  Simple as that.  I don't care if I left those rims out in a 9 month hurricane,  they should never rust like they did.  Neither should yours.

My friend has originals and the chrome is still very good with hardly any pitting after 40 years.

It is going to be a constant maintainance chase...clean off rust and polish, rust occurs, clean off rust polish, rust occurs, etc. etc..

Chrome polish from Mothers works ok and also some people use naval jelly on heavier chrome.

Good luck and sorry to hear of you experience,
Greg.
"If you ain't breaking stuff, you ain't driving it right"  Carroll Shelby

1969chargerrtse

This is very sad to read.  I have 4 new rims on my car.  I thought the chrome looked thick.  I'll keep a close eye on them now.  That sucks.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

mally69

Bought mine from summit racing  but the box said that wheel vintiques or someting of that nature, I think they are junk. Ill buy weld prostars the next time around..

69*F5*SE

This is an original set of real FORD 15 inch Magnum 500's not the repops.  They have the FORD stamp on the backside. The chrome has held out after all these years and they still look great.  It's disappointing to hear that the repops are sprouting rust so fast for you guys.  I would've thought the repops would be as good or better quality than the originals.  I bought these 12 years ago and couldn't be happier with how they've held up.  Mine have original Mopar center caps installed on them and they are holding out well also.  I guess you could use some SOS pads to clean up the little bit of rust that's sprouting up and then use some chrome polish on them to help keep the rust from popping up again. Good luck.   :Twocents:

472 R/T SE

Just a little reminder as I found out the hard way.  Use the finest steel wool or SOS pad initially and work your way up, otherwise you'll be scratching the chrome.  I only had a couple balls of steel wool and didn't realize they made finer stuff until the damage was done.  :eek2:

hemihead

Keep in mind , Chrome isn't what it used to be . With government EPA issues and companies wanting to make large profits , Chrome is done very poorly today .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

resq302

Quote from: 69*F5*SE on April 06, 2008, 07:57:03 PM
This is an original set of real FORD 15 inch Magnum 500's not the repops.  They have the FORD stamp on the backside. The chrome has held out after all these years and they still look great.  It's disappointing to hear that the repops are sprouting rust so fast for you guys.  I would've thought the repops would be as good or better quality than the originals.  I bought these 12 years ago and couldn't be happier with how they've held up.  Mine have original Mopar center caps installed on them and they are holding out well also.  I guess you could use some SOS pads to clean up the little bit of rust that's sprouting up and then use some chrome polish on them to help keep the rust from popping up again. Good luck.   :Twocents:

So Ford rims have the same bolt pattern as our Dodge's? :scratchchin:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

Same bolt pattern but you have to watch for the axle centers.  The Fords don't all have as big of a hole there in the center of the wheel as we do.  Some of them go on but some just aren't going to.

bill440rt

SOS pads will surely scratch the sh*t outta the chrome.  :nono:

You'll never fully REMOVE the rust, just make it more invisible. If you're going to use steel wool, then get some 0000-grade. I'd try a polish first. I like Griot's Garage Chrome Polish, hands down. It won't scratch your chrome, it is very mild.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

speedfreak68

One of my friends had chrome rims that would rust and what we used to clean them up was windex and aluminum foil. it seemed to clean them up very well and didn't scratch the chrome.