News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

(Southern) California Paint Shops?

Started by Finn, March 29, 2008, 12:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

Does anyone have some numbers/websites of recommended places/people I could call by chance? I just finished all the body work and I just called House of Customs and I about choked.
10-15 thousand for media blasting and paint.  :eek2: and it would take about a year.  :'(
Im not looking for super flashy show or stock colors (especially since mine was red and Ive heard that red paint costs more??). Even if I did have the money, I plan on driving it a lot so I cant justify spending that much on paint just to have it chipped and scratched.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

68charger383

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Finn

Santa Clarita/Valencia...by Six Flags Magic Mountain theme park. I drove around and talked to some shops and found 2 places to call (not open today), and one of them I could literally push the car to.
Ill be talking to them Monday but Ill take any recommendations you guys have, never hurts to shop around haha.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

hemi-hampton

brant

Media blast and paint? Meaning all body work and alignment/fitting has to be done? I'm not sure how you will find quality work for less $$. Thats a lot of work.

I'm curious to know how much people are charging just for the final seal and paint.

Finn

Just had a guy from a local shop some out and look at it. He said 10 as well.
Looks like Ill be dusting off that old spray gun.
But on the plus side he said it doesn't need media blasting, so that saves 1000 bucks.
Ive got a friend that doesn't have a lot of money but he does have a tr-4 that he gave a cheap rattle can paint job too. Maybe I can convince him to let me paint it. Practice for me and hopefully a better paint job for him.

2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

440AirForce

I just got my 69 out of the shop last week. I went to Russ's Auto Body in Reseda, It was $10K exactly, but there was alot of grinding and body work that needed to be done (even after I had it media blasted already) But, the lines are clean and very straight
Whether or not I'm good at English is inimportant!

chargerman68

1968 CHARGER R/T CLONELOOKING FOR ANOTHER PROJECT 69-70 CHARGER SHELL

moparmusclecars

I believe I could do as good a job as any of those body shops are doing out there for less, but I'm in Montana. I've had a few cars in Hot Rod and the Import mags. Depends on exactly how much your doing. Are you doing engine compartment, removing the engine and painting? Inside truck, door jambs, etc? All depends on what you expect in the end. Lyle's Auto Body  Great Falls, Montana...    Lyle

Finn

Dang, nice work. And yes I am, plus its not the simplest paint job. Without giving too much away I can say that its going to be mocking the general lee (or the general lee's evil twin as I like to call it) and all the people that told me to make it into one  :eyes:  :icon_smile_tongue:

I'm trailering it a few miles Saturday to a paint shop that was recommend by another mopar fanatic who helped look over the car when I first got it. Supposedly they can do it for between 3-5 grand, pending on what they see in person.
I'm keeping my figures crossed.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

68charger383

Finn, get the whole deal in writing (what they are going to do to the car and in what time frame....there are alot of horror stories on body shops getting the cars and then going out of business and you come close to losing the car or get the car in 100 different boxes and no $ back. They also may make your car the down time car and we'll see the finished pictures sometime in 2010.

1968 Charger 383(Sold)
2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10

Doright

I say do it your self and save a bunch! its a driver any ways right?
That way if you want to make it a show car latter think of all the cash you saved for a pro paint job!
Doright
A&P FCC 
I play with cars because Jets are way too serious to be fun any more
I have so many car projects that cars are beginning to be no fun any more

moparmusclecars

I agree with what was said in regards to getting it all in writing. Make them be descriptive in what will be performed and a fair time frame on completion of written down work. If they are also doing bodywork and your hesitant, maybe go to the stage of having them complete the bodywork and upon your satisfaction you will agree with them to have it painted. In this fashion your not obligated to continue with them if your not happy. Use your gut feelings and what you see being performed and make a decision as you go. If they start asking for a bunch of cash down, be very cautious. I've had several cars brought to me to redo (or start over) from shop that collected cash and thats where it ended for the most part. Ask what paint they intend to use, are they clearcoating, what clearcoat are they using, etc. 3-5 doesn't sound bad, just be careful. Maybe there is some finished auto's you can peek at. Never be afraid to ask them questions. It's your car and your money that they are earning. Good Luck!   Lyle in Montana