News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Car prices really down @ Palm Beach...

Started by Just 6T9 CHGR, March 28, 2008, 05:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just 6T9 CHGR

Anyone else noticing a trend?  I was watching some of B-J's Palm Beach, FL auction and saw some really good buy's go on the block.
Particularly was this 71 GTX 440 4-speed Super Track Pack car.   Rust free CA car only went for 30k!

Vehicle Details
LotNumber   52
Year   1971
CarMake   PLYMOUTH
CarModel   GTX
CarStyle   2 DOOR HARDTOP
ExteriorColor   WHITE
Interiorcolor   BLACK
Cylinders   8
Engine   440
Transmission   4-SPEED MANUAL
Summary   Rare and original California survivor. 1 of 327 4-speed GTX cars offered in 1971. Also has the Super Track Package.
Description   This rare 1971 GTX is a true, rust free, California survivor equipped with all of the high performance options. 1 of 327 4-speed GTX cars offered in 1971, the final year of production for high performance Mopars. Best of all, this one is also equipped with the A34 Super Track Package, plus the HEMI 4-speed transmission, DANA 60 rear with 410 Sure Grip differential. Other options include HD power disc brakes, HD super cooling package, power steering, bucket seats, center console, pistol grip shifter, vinyl top, upgraded 15" x 8" Rally wheels, AM/FM radio, high performance tires and the HEMI suspension package. Documentation includes the original Fender Tag, the original Build Sheet, decoded Fender Tag and copy of previous California title. This is a very early production, highly collectable and truly awesome to drive car. This is pure Mopar muscle.

Vehicle Pictures

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars//64125/64125_Rear_3-4.jpg

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars//64125/64125_Engine.jpg

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars//64125/64125_Interior.jpg
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

y3chargerrt

I would pay 30K for that GTX. I think it would have went for 75K a few years back at auction.

Back N Black

That is a good deal, you will never build it for that kind of money. I bet the owner's dreams were shattered of making good coin on that car.

moparstuart

if people are still selling in this market , they must really be hard up for money  :Twocents: :Twocents:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

ChgrSteve67

They were interviewing Mr. Jackson and he said in the past they have not televised the first few days of the auction and the prices like this are normal. Usually the televised portion has been on the more desirable or rare car portion of the auction that brings the high dollars.
Also the fact they removed the ability to put a "reserve" on the cars makes these deals posible.
It still takes two to run the price up on a car.

There were a few that rolled across the block that I would love to have and were deals.  (the 66 383 Charger was not one of them)

If I was in the market for a nice completed car BJ would definitely be on my list of places to go find one.
Don't tell anyone I said that.

Steve

Brock Samson

personally i didn't care for the stripe, color, v. top combo on the GTX...
sweet car otherwise,.. IMO too bad it wasn't the lemon twist or some other hi-impact minus the v.top but if i remember correctly, that was the stripe package on the GTXs that year..  and i guess the V. top was part of the loading it up with options deal...
that was a really cheap price..  :shruggy:

694spdRT

I would have loved to get that car for $30K. Dad bought a brand new '71 Winchester Gray GTX 440 4 speed optioned out nearly identical to that car.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Arkgl01

I have herd from several people that muscle cars are down. I watched a auction after barret jackson where a 440 wing car sold for 75k!! I was thinking that was really low. Also the lowest optioned 71 cuda went really cheap. The guys talking were saying they thought these cars were going really cheap.. :shruggy:
69 440 RT matching.. mostly original!

Magnumcharger

You know, the seller of that car is probably slitting his wrists right about now.
No way in hell he could have restored that car for any less than 50K, and then there's the original buy-in price as well.
I feel sorry for that poor fool. :eek2:
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Go Hogs Go

You guy's are forgetting about the buyer comissions. What are they, 8% ? That would mean the high bidder will pay around $2400.00 in comissions. Still not a bad deal, but you have to count it in the cost. BJ made about $5000.00 on buyer/seller comissions off that car.
Go Hogs!

TruckDriver

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

keepat

The seller pays 8% and the buyer pays 10% BJ gets 18% and all the car have a reserve! The owner of the car can have someone bid for them if the bids are to low! As the owner you have the right to buy your car back for 8% So if you have a car that you think is a 100 k car but the highest bid is 40 k you as the owner can bid 41k and pay 8% $3,280 to BJ to keep your car. The thing about it is as a buyer you don't know if you are biding against another buyer or the owners bider. :rotz:
Pat

472 R/T SE

I don't know.  Some of the prices of some of those Mopes from Pete's post look like same ol', same ol'.  A 383 powered '70 RR for $50k, personalized '69 RR for $36k & less than stellar '70 Cuda recreation for $46k.  :o I thought these were all good prices compared to the GTX.

Maybe, close your ears 471 & Brock, but just maybe the third gen. Plymouths still aren't appreciated.

My buddy who goes to Scottsdale says the cars that don't seem to bring the money, there's usually a reason.  The "internet restorations" can be deceiving he said.  Although there is always an exception to the rule which may be the case here.  :Twocents:  He also said the Ford Fairlane that was way underpriced this year was one of the nicest cars there.  It's all about timing, IMO.

Supercharged Riot

J-440

With all the havoc the economy is in I would say people are holding onto their money a little more.  Gas is going up, the stock market is a little paranoid right now, the dollar's not doing too hot, and I believe the Federal Reserve (pardon that...us taxpayers) are going to bail out all of these mortgage closings.  Man, isn't that nice of the feds to do?  I think I'm gonna go out and buy a $65,000 car, default on the loan and see if I can have the Feds pay for it for me.  After all, I don't know any better.  Sorry for the rant but yeah, the prices do seem a little lower than usual.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

69_500

I think many of you are missing a few points on the GTX that sold for so cheap. It wasn't a restored car, it was a "survivor". Not sure if it was up to the Survivor status of the Chrysler cars, or if that is the "survivor" status of the Corvette's, but either way it wasn't restored.

Rolling_Thunder

I was watching the Russo auction this morning that was taking place in Scottsdale...     nice 1970 Superbird 440 auto went for $78,000    i would say the market is down right now
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

TruckDriver

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on March 29, 2008, 01:11:06 PM
I was watching the Russo auction this morning that was taking place in Scottsdale...     nice 1970 Superbird 440 auto went for $78,000    i would say the market is down right now

The first of three today at B-J sold for $168,000. It is the shows top over all seller so far.

PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

nakita7

Quote from: Magnumcharger on March 28, 2008, 02:39:38 PM
You know, the seller of that car is probably slitting his wrists right about now.
No way in hell he could have restored that car for any less than 50K, and then there's the original buy-in price as well.

Best way to buy them, isn't it?

als500

The GTX wasn't all that great. I think it was price right , you would need $75,000 to make it into a show car. I know I was there it didn't look like a survivor to be. It look like a 80's paint job that someone paid $500.00 to do. To be honest I think the car was worth less, some people bring these daily driver to the show and expect $100.000 people down here aren't stupid, they know there cars. You can't said that the prices really down just because you see a car onTV, after all the Bird sold for $168,000 and it wasn't a HEMI. :icon_smile_cool:

als500

Quote from: 69_500 on March 29, 2008, 08:45:09 AM
I think many of you are missing a few points on the GTX that sold for so cheap. It wasn't a restored car, it was a "survivor". Not sure if it was up to the Survivor status of the Chrysler cars, or if that is the "survivor" status of the Corvette's, but either way it wasn't restored.
If someone call a car a survivor, this mean the has never been restored in any way which includes the paint. I don't think that the GTX was a survivor or a restored car, it was just a $ 25.000 dollar car that someone over paid for and that about it. I think we shouldn't say that the car prices really come down in Palm Beach because that is not true. :slap:

hemihead

You say that GTX paint job looked like someone paid $ 500 for ? Just remember a factory paint job looked like a $ 300 paint job back when it was new.  IMO you would have to be a moron to buy or sell at BJ . Paying him all that money ,  whether you are buying or selling , has got to be the dumbest thing ever. I am convinced that we Americans have become the most spoiled and stupid people ever to walk the face of the earth .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

als500

Quote from: hemihead on March 29, 2008, 10:41:50 PM
You say that GTX paint job looked like someone paid $ 500 for ? Just remember a factory paint job looked like a $ 300 paint job back when it was new.  IMO you would have to be a moron to buy or sell at BJ . Paying him all that money ,  whether you are buying or selling , has got to be the dumbest thing ever. I am convinced that we Americans have become the most spoiled and stupid people ever to walk the face of the earth .
The paint job wasn't original, so I would not say survivor and your right, why give him 10%.. :slap:

1969chargerrtse

Times are hard for everyone. Gas, home heating oil through the roof.  Houses taking a dive, forclosers up the hing yang, all this has to effect peoples toys.  Lets just hope we can hang on to ours no matter what the market does.  I think most of us are into it for the love not the investment.  I know I am.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

ChargerSG

Seen allot of GL´s(not talking about L´s buckets here) on Ebay and other sites that never meets the reserve, and they ones with out reserve sell under 20K.
Worst one yet is a 69 RT/SE Charger in pretty good shape that went for 35k(i think it was up for like a few hours on net untill it was sold), i would pay 35 right away for that car.
Have seen allot of cars for sale that you dont see on the market for years(not under 70-100000k anyway).
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

471_Magnum

That GTX is obviously a repaint. The V7X pinstripe is missing and V8X (hood-fender) stripe is applied incorrectly. Another case of the "survivor term being applied a bit too liberally.

That said, having just sold and bought a couple of 71 GTXs myself, I'd say that car was bought pretty well if it was truly rust free. 71 GTXs VERY are hard to find, particularly so with the 4 speed. Only 3000 or so produced, with 300 or so 4 speeds. I feel they are generally under valued and under appreciated.

The dates are conveniently smudged out on the photos, which tells me those photos are not recent. True condition probably wasn't as nice as the photos would seem to indicate. Pictures never tell all.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

greenpigs

QuoteThey were interviewing Mr. Jackson and he said in the past they have not televised the first few days of the auction and the prices like this are normal.

I wouldn't believe a word the guy has to say
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

bzabodyn

Quote from: Magnumcharger on March 28, 2008, 02:39:38 PM

I didn't read anything about the car being "restored"??? The description says it was an original, survivor car...  :shruggy:

BZ

EDIT - if I would have read a few more posts, I would have seen you all caught that too... overall, most prices looked fair to me other than the '66 Hemi Charger and the two deemed "survivor" 440 Superbirds...

1969 Dodge Charger R/T - 426 HEMI/4 speed/Track Pack

JimShine

I watched a 70 Super Bee with non-stock 440 6 pack, 1968 dash, and flawed trim sell for $50K. That seemed like alot of money to me for a car that was non-original with period incorrect parts and in need of firther restoration.

ChargerSG

$50k for that was way to much for that car... :eek2:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: 471_Magnum on March 30, 2008, 09:40:58 AM
That GTX is obviously a repaint. The V7X pinstripe is missing and V8X (hood-fender) stripe is applied incorrectly. Another case of the "survivor term being applied a bit too liberally.

That said, having just sold and bought a couple of 71 GTXs myself, I'd say that car was bought pretty well if it was truly rust free. 71 GTXs VERY are hard to find, particularly so with the 4 speed. Only 3000 or so produced, with 300 or so 4 speeds. I feel they are generally under valued and under appreciated.

The dates are conveniently smudged out on the photos, which tells me those photos are not recent. True condition probably wasn't as nice as the photos would seem to indicate. Pictures never tell all.
I saw it live on TV go across the block (as well as outside in the sun in the staging area) and it looked as good, if not better than the pics
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi-hampton

Since I restore cars for a living it took me about 2 seconds to see that GTX had a quicky unprofessional Earl Scheib resto performed on it. It is also getting popular to have a weathered worn 80's resto passed off as original. I assume thats the case here. :brickwall: :scratchchin: :shruggy: :Twocents: :slap: LEON.