News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Cowl Cut

Started by Bobs69, March 24, 2008, 10:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobs69

Anyone ever replace a front clip on a 69 charger or similar b body?  I have the section from the rad support including frame rails, inner-fenders, firewall to the torsion bar mounts.  I have dreams of powder coating it and grafting it onto my car someday when my shop is clean and organized enough for surgery. 

Basically I want to do what these boys in the magazine did at this address............. http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/projectbuild/5110_1969_plymouth_road_runner_re_body/index.html

Bobs69

Really?  No one has done this to a car??

BrianShaughnessy

It's not like a front subframe deal like on a camero.   The front frame rails are part of the unibody structure along with the inner fenders.  If you powdercoat those pieces it'll get burned up welding them back to the rest of the car.

You can powdercoat the K frame and other pieces but the frame rails, inner fenders, firewall and rad support are normally painted body color.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Bobs69

Yeah unfortunately us mopar fellows have it hard.  My neighbour has a camaro and was telling me it is bolted on with something like 6 bolts.    I realize the powder would burn off, but not all of it I wouldn't think.  I'll attempt to post pictures.  My clip includes the cross member for the torsion bars. 

I figured whatever got burned off along the frame rails when welding it to the floor and firewall could be touched up.  But for the most part powdercoating is far superior to spray painting isn't it???  It will help seal the seams?  I fwas even thinking even if I had to powder coat it black then paint it body colour it may be worth it.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Bobs69 on April 01, 2008, 08:06:49 PM

I figured whatever got burned off along the frame rails when welding it to the floor and firewall could be touched up.  But for the most part powdercoating is far superior to spray painting isn't it???  It will help seal the seams?  I fwas even thinking even if I had to powder coat it black then paint it body colour it may be worth it.

Um...   you do realize that part of the powdercoating process is heating up the piece to about 400 degrees in a big oven so once the cowl and parts are welded onto the rest of the body,  the entire body now has to fit into the oven.  So "touching up" is not really an option.   

Powdercoating is superior in most cases IMHO.   I have been taking small pieces in when I can.
My local powdercoater can fit frames but I don't think an entire body is possible - that I've seen.    And the oven heat issue would nullify the use of fillers to smooth out the panels.     

I'm sure someday in the not too distant future people will be able to powdercoat an entire body but they will need to do some super clean metal work in lieu of filler.   Then there's the issue of the gloss...  I get some pieces done in "wet black" which is fairly glossy for powder but it's not really as glossy as paint at this time.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Bobs69

Yes I realize that the temperature is high.  I want to powder coat the clip before welding it on.  I realize I'd have to grind some of it off again in order to weld it to the body, but I don't care, the majority of the piece will be protected.

And the local shop here can just fit it in the oven.

Also the guys at the shop told me about this stuff called "ALL METAL".  It is a filler made out of aluminum powder and resin, made by United chemical and plastic.  USC.  Anyhow, they tell me they have used it lots of times and it takes the heat.  Now they did mention something about gloss.  I think adding gloss to it.  Not sure.  It would be nice to have it goto the oven and get it on the car and not have to repaint it all.  But if so then that's the way its gotta be.  I'm just thinking that having the protection of that stuff would be nice.

Bobs69

If I'm way off in my thinking, let me know.  I was just excited to find that there was a powdercoating shop in town.

Mike DC

We won't be able to powercoat whole bodies until we can buy the whole thing repro'd in a single piece and get straight metal.

.  .  .  and at that point, the main motivation to coat everything THAT well against long-term corrosion  .  .  .  is also gone. 

Bobs69

I only want to powder coat the front clip before putting it on the car.

daytonalo

I own a small powdercoat business and if someone walked in and asked to do what you want , I for sure would thing they are high on Crack !!!!!!!! What a waste of time, effort and money !!!! Not to mention Powdercoat inherently has orange peel which is very noticeable on flat surfaces . Hire a good painter !!!!!!!!

NMike

what about powder coating just the underside of the car, in stead of the standard rust proofing/ undercoating?

Mike DC

Same basic problem.  The whole body would have to do a session inside a giant oven.  (Probably not even good for metallurgy of the car for that matter.)

You've gotta remember, these cars didn't rust because a good finish was subjected to 40 years of weathering. 

They rusted because they only had a crappy layer of protection to begin with, and they didn't even get undercoating on half the important places they needed it.  Then they were subjected to 40 years of weathering, and the rust protection usually got no touch-ups or maintinence work during that time at all.

Use a modern epoxy primer and a catalyzed urethane paint coating.  Keep it out of the road salt.  Hose it off when it gets crud caked onto it.  Touch it up when it gets chipped.  The car will last a long time.     

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 07, 2008, 03:06:50 AM

Same basic problem.  The whole body would have to do a session inside a giant oven.  (Probably not even good for metallurgy of the car for that matter.)

You've gotta remember, these cars didn't rust because a good finish was subjected to 40 years of weathering. 

They rusted because they only had a crappy layer of protection to begin with, and they didn't even get undercoating on half the important places they needed it.  Then they were subjected to 40 years of weathering, and the rust protection usually got no touch-ups or maintinence work during that time at all.

Use a modern epoxy primer and a catalyzed urethane paint coating.  Keep it out of the road salt.  Hose it off when it gets crud caked onto it.  Touch it up when it gets chipped.  The car will last a long time.     

:iagree:
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

daytonalo

PLEASE POWDERCOAT IT !!!! WE ALL WANT TO SEE WHAT YOU HAVE LEFT !!!!!!!!!!!!! I KNOW , A RIPPLED UP SHELL OF A CAR WITH POWDERCOAT ON IT !!!!!!

Bobs69

Daytonal.  Is this the way you (and others here) talk to someone who is looking for advice from you because they know or hope that you know better?  If that's the extent of your people skills then now wonder you only own a "small" shop.

daytonalo

SORRY IF I GOT YOUR PINK PANTIES IN A BUNCH !!!!!!! JUST HATE SEE PEOPLE WASTING TIME AND MONEY ON CRAZY IDEAS !!!!!!!  :icon_smile_big:

Bobs69

Actually I serious doubt you give a shit what other people waste their time on.  And I was, and am, trying to respond to your ignornance in such a way that's completely out of character for me; so I won't offend others here that may actually have some usefull information to share with me.

daytonalo

I have a small shop because I give Honest advice !!! Sure I could say I can do at your risk and your Dollar , but no I have always been up front with people ! Yes a little Harsh , but always honest ! Again sorry to Ruffle your feathers .

Larry