News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new torque converter needed on a tranny refresh?

Started by Charger72SE, March 24, 2008, 10:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger72SE

I'm thinking of having my 727 rebuilt - only 50K miles on it but there is a leak at the rear band anchor shaft that just won't quit leaking.  I've tried sealing it twice already and it just ain't working.  I took it to a shop and their job didn't seal either.

So I'm thinking of having the tranny rebuild to change the seals.  3 out of 4 places I called say a new torque converter should be installed.  The other place said would check it out and reuse it if it was in good shape.

Does a torque converter need to be replaced?  I have a 440 with 323 gears in the rear.  I was quoted $1000 to $1300 with a new torque converter from the 3 shops and $600 - $800 using the old one.

what do ya think?

Runner

if they are charging you 400-500 for a converter id buy one  on my own.  you can getr a t/a 11 inch for around 300 and a 10 inch for 450ish.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Big Lebowski

I'd go w/ an aftermarket 25-2600 stall. that way you can shove a bigger cam & carb. on the 440. Put some 3.90's in it for the bitch'in no bog tire fryer option... That's the best part.
"Let me explain something to you, um i am not Mr. Lebowski, you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the dude, so that's what you call me. That or his dudeness, or duder, or you know, el duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

694spdRT

One thing I have been told with using the old converter is whatever filings, etc. that were in the old fluid end up in the torque converter and that can then end up back into your rebuilt trans. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

MedPhys

I will be facing a tranny rebuild soon.. What brand converter do you guys recommend for a street/strip application? I'm sure some converters are more efficient at transferring energy than others.

Dave

John_Kunkel

Once you've seen a used converter cut open you'll never want to reuse one again.

I wouldn't do business with any shop that would reuse one or try to sell a machine flush.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Charger72SE

thanks much for your replies - I'll see what type of torque converters they use

and thanks John Kunkle for your response regarding reusing a torque converter.  I would never have known.  That's why I luv this sight - it's kept me out of the ditch many times!!

andy74

i had a tranny rebuilt a few years ago,and when i suggested reusing the convertor they told me they wouldnt do the work,they felt that strongly about it! do your self a favor and get a new convertor,a good one shouldnt run you more than 300-500 dollars and you wont have to go through the tranny twice! :cheers: