News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

318 build up

Started by ereru7, February 26, 2008, 05:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ereru7

I pulled a (64,000 mile strong running) 318 out of a 1983 Dodge Diplomat. I want to get the most out of it affordably. I bought a set of 360 heads and a edlebrock intake. What size cam should I get? Any advice? I bought a TCI trans from mancini.

Challenger340

340 resto stick works well.

How radical you wanna get ?

I used to have a '73 318 that we tweaked "for fun", (and a bet on a friends 327 4 stick Chevelle)
Stock low-pop slugs were reversed, 2.02 J heads, Decent Intake & thermo-bog with a Crane Cam.
Darned if the thing didn't get in the 13's in an A body !

Bye Bye Shovel ! Was VERY humorous !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Charger74SE

If your  not planning  to run headers, than you will need a new set of exhaust manifolds to match up with the 360 heads. Exhaust ports are slightly larger than your 318 heads.

I also ran a 340 resto cam in mine.

2012 Charger SE
1974 Charger SE
USAF and A&P mechanic retired.

Death1970Proof

Quote from: ereru7 on February 26, 2008, 05:25:00 PM
I pulled a (64,000 mile strong running) 318 out of a 1983 Dodge Diplomat. I want to get the most out of it affordably. I bought a set of 360 heads and a edlebrock intake. What size cam should I get? Any advice? I bought a TCI trans from mancini.

If not to radical you could go with a comp cams 268H. These will work very well with a 318. I dont know how much gear you are planning to run or how crazy you wanna go with it. If you increase the compression with a set of shaved 360 heads and get the compression up to around 9/1 or 9:5:1 with a decent gear Id look at the lunati voodoo 268 (494/513). The right dual plane intake and carb makes it come to life. Be careful with your came choice because a 318 can be easy to overcam. Less can be more with cam choices on a 318 :2thumbs: Just dont slap a 509 mopar purpleshaft in there with a stock converter and 2.76 gears and expect it too be hot  :smilielol: Dont laugh I know people that have done it....  ::)

Keep in mind that alot of late '70's 318's used the same  exhaust manifolds as the 360's so there's probably no gain there. Just my  :Twocents:
Bolt on a $100 set (or cheaper  :icon_smile_big:) headers and have some fun
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...