News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gravity Bleeding

Started by bordin34, March 20, 2008, 10:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

I tried gravity bleeding my rear brakes on my PB 73 Charger SE. I uncapped the master and opened the bleeder screw and not even a drop came out. The bleeders were rusted and I had to use penetrating oil to loosen them, could there be rust plugging them or can they not be gravity bled.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

69chargerR/T

Your bleeders are probably plugged take them out and clean them, you should be able to gravity bleed them once you clean the bleeders :2thumbs: 

bordin34

I one man pump bled the rears today. The front are rusted stuck on the drivers side and the nipple was broken off and stripped on the passenger side so I couldn't bleed the fronts.

Mahwah,NJ

firefighter3931

Quote from: bordin34 on March 21, 2008, 07:09:55 PM
I one man pump bled the rears today. The front are rusted stuck on the drivers side and the nipple was broken off and stripped on the passenger side so I couldn't bleed the fronts.

Time to replace the front wheel cylinders (or calipers)  ;)

You would be wise to replace the bleeder valves on the rear as well while you're at it.  :Twocents:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Steve P.

I would also check the rubber hoses. If they are old, cracked or the rubber looks like it is flaking change them. If it looks like you can get away with just 1 front don't do it. Change all brake parts in pairs.

Keep in mind that the MOST important part of your car is the brakes.   :2thumbs:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

bordin34

The pedal barely firmed up by bleeding the rears. Also I did not see any air bubbles, so I am thinking that I may have a bad master cylinder. The lines look fine so I don't think I will be replacing them yet.

Mahwah,NJ