News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

novice engine building

Started by gordo1968charger, March 24, 2008, 05:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo1968charger

i have a few mechanical skills,did my ssbc brake conversion,fitted my gear vendor and dana.(i m strictly bodywork)
but how hard is it to build a 500 stroker?
rolling thunder once posted its just nuts and bolts!
which seems insulting to the pros out there,is it something i can do myself and more importantly sucessfully?
any books i can read,while i m saving for my build?
:cheers:
gordo
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

hutch

getting your engine to balance is going to be an issue.  I would pay to have someone do the build for you only because if something goes wrong you have some type of guarantee most times that your investment will be protected if something goes wrong within the first 6 months or so.

:Twocents:

FYI, this was posted here before and it shows even the pros can make mistakes.   when something goes wrong with an engine build, often its a nasty issue and one thats hard to recover parts from after the fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Kh-A08FAc
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Chatt69chgr

There's no doubt that if you wanted to take the time to study up on all the aspects of rebuilding an engine that you could do it.  Now what kind of longevity you would have would depend on how well the job was done.  It just takes one little mistake to end up with a pile of junk.  So it seems to me that you could do your research and then look at rounding up the parts and then get someone who has experience to do the actual rebuild.  Better yet, talk to your rebuilder before you round up the parts to see if they have suggestions of what kind of parts to avoid.  I think it would be good that whoever does this builds a lot of motors and has a dyno.  That way, they can run your engine for a while and determine if it is going to be OK.  Would also allow them to get your carb jetted properly.  Maybe they would even let you hang around and watch.  I rebuilt a 1954 Ford 239 OHV  when I was about 20 years old.  It was a low rpm engine so somewhat forgiving.  When you are talking about something like a 440 high performance engine, it's a whole different story.  I will have a lot of money tied up in just the parts alone.  Paying an experienced person a few hundred to put the engine together just seems to me to be the best bet in achieving a reliable end product.

firefighter3931

The Key to a successful build is good planning, quality parts and  attention to detail during the machining process. If the machinework is poor/sloppy the chances for failure increase dramaticly.  :P

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

gordo1968charger

thanks guys,i think it ll be ray barton who ll be getting my business.unless anyone has a better suggestion?
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Runner

Quote from: gordo1968charger on March 25, 2008, 03:34:34 AM
thanks guys,i think it ll be ray barton who ll be getting my business.unless anyone has a better suggestion?

you biulding a hemi?     might want to take a good look at porter racing heads, best machine, and for hemis only ( if thats what your biulding). all seem to be very good at what they do with great customer service  .for hemis only ive only heard about   im a poor old wedge guy.   best machine seems to have alot of very happy customers. 

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

gordo1968charger

i only want a 500 wedge,not too bothered about a hemi.
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Rolling_Thunder

Well - i rebuilt my first engine at 13 - it is just nuts and bolts - but if you have any hesitation or just dont have the time sending it to someone else is just plain easier sometimes.   I am so busy at the shop now-a-days that i have the short block outsourced...    i just done have time to drop pistons and rings down holes anymore...

I believe it is something anyone can do - but sometimes its just easier to have someone else do it 

Good luck with it    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip