News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69' Charger steering wheel general questions:

Started by Captain D, March 23, 2008, 12:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

As I learn more about the Charger, and the steering wheels, I was curious to ask:

- Why were there differences between the steering wheels? I know this is probably a dumb & trivial question, but what Chargers had the woodgrain/chrome spokes, and other Chargers had the pebble grain Deluxe version? In other words; were R/T Chargers & SE Chargers more likely to have the woodgrain/chrome spokes and the "regular" Chargers have the pebble-grain Deluxe version? Or did it really matter what steering wheel went on what Charger?

Again, I apologize for such a trivial question, I was just just curious to ask.
Thank you for any replies,
Aaron

Ghoste

It isn't trivial at all.  There were three actually, a half horn ring version that was standard and a full horn ring version that was optional and then there was the woodgrain.  The woodgrain one was optional unless you ordered an SE and then it was standard.  Outside of that SE though, it didn't matter whether it was an RT or a base Charger the steering wheel choices remained the same.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Captain D

Awesome info guys! Thanks for posting!  :2thumbs:

I have a basic Charger, & it's interesting to learn about them! If I may continue w/ just one more question:

Other than the steering wheel options, were the Chargers exactly the same? With the exception of the Charger 500, were the SE, R/T, and basic Chargers identical? The R/T probably had the 440's perhaps...? If they're different, what are those differences?

Thanks again!
Aaron

Just 6T9 CHGR

Aaron, browse through my registry site including the gallery section which has scans of the facts & features manual....a lot of your questions can be answered there

www.1969chargerregistry.com
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

I would note that the 70 charger black plastic steering wheel does have a pebble texture on it.  I don't think the 68 or 69's have this. 

With the exception of the Charger 500, the bodies are the same.  The differences revolve around the drivetrain selection as well as power brakes, power steering, upgraded radio, tach, etc.  R/T's got improved suspension packages.  The hemi version got a different K-frame and Dana 60 for 4-speed equipped cars.

If you have enough money, you can start with a base small block Charger and end up with a Hemi monster just like you could buy in 1969. 

694spdRT

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on March 24, 2008, 07:16:32 PM
The hemi version got a different K-frame and Dana 60 for 4-speed equipped cars.

The 440 4 speed came standard with a 3.54 geared Dana 60 just like the Hemi.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Mike DC

Yeah, for functional purposes all the Charger unibodies are the same.  (Except for the torque boxes.  Not a big difference and they can be retrofitted.)  These cars are extremely interchangeable.  It helps us find a lot more replacement parts for them these days.

For that matter, Chargers are all extremely similar to any mid-sized (B-body) Chrysler car of the same model-years.  You could set up a Dodge Coronet 4-door station wagon with the whole drivetrain & chassis equipment of a manual-shifted 426 Hemi if you wanna spend the money.  It would end up being the same performance car as a Charger other than the weight & seating differences. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The biggest differences in terms of that structural stuff would be the bolted on K-frames: One for the wedge V8s, one for the 6-cylinders, and one just for the Hemi motors.  Each engine family needed different motor mounts.  And the Hemis also got a small extra skid-plate.

The axle assemblies hanging on the rear leaf springs were different too.  But once again, stuff interchanges with nuts & bolts.