News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Converting to Discs up front.

Started by TripleBlackGator, March 24, 2008, 07:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TripleBlackGator

I am thinking about converting to SSBC discs up front and have a questions concerning the distribution block. I see that Inline Tube and Pirate Jack are offering what they call factory Dist. blocks for disc brake cars. Does that mean that they are truly bolt in, run your lines and go items? I currently have HD 11" drums and I'm at the point of running my hard lines in the engine compartment so I need to know if I should remove my original dist. block now and get a factory style block from one of the two companies I mentioned. What are the major differences between a drum block and a disc block. I am sure the ratios are different but outwardly they are very similar looking. I would rather go this route than plumb in and aftermarket adjustable block. Any thoughts?  :shruggy:
Malicious, vindictive, spiteful, cynical, pessimistic, sarcastic, & antagonistic. And those are my good traits!

Musicman

If you currently have Drums front and rear, you will need more than just a distribution block. You will need a proportioning valve for the rear drum system... depending on the vehicle you may or may not already have one. You will need a hydraulic switch, often referred to as the distribution block... it's where your idiot-lite connection is made. Most importantly, you will need a Metering Valve... A.K.A. Hold-Off valve for the front disc system. Sometimes the items are individual units (69 Chargers,etc), but more often than not, they are incorporated into one single assembled unit known as a Combination Valve (which is almost always mistakenly referred to as the "proportioning valve"). You would also be looking at installing a 10psi Residual Pressure valve in the Rear brake line somewhere. Not a requirement, but it does give you a little higher pedal.

My advice to you would be to check out some of the available information at the Pirate Jack web site, concerning various brake system requirements. It's not the most detailed information available, but it should get you pointed in the right direction anyway.

Below is an illustration of a typical Mopar style Combination Valve... although many different styles were actually used.

Chatt69chgr

Inline Tube just repoped the dist block, hold off valve and proportioning valve.  But don't call them, nobody there seems to be able to talk Mopar.  Call Fine Lines.  They sell the Inline tube items I just mentioned along with the brake lines in stainless or regular steel.  And they can talk intelligently about your application.  You can look on the Inline Tube website to see the items.  They are sort of hard to find but if you play around on the site for a while, you will find them.