News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Painting a Steering Wheel?

Started by Captain D, March 20, 2008, 04:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi guys,

I've been talking with BEA Parts, and they're reproducing the stock 69' Charger steering wheel repro in just a few weeks. If I recall correctly, they're selling them in blue, red, and black. This type of wheel is exactly what I'm looking for. However, I need it in either brown/tan color. The salesman on the phone suggested that I paint it. I may be new at restoration, but something makes me skeptical about painting something that's going to get a lot of wear/tear, ect. I don't want to have to re-paint it later on down the road. He suggested using regular automotive paint, w/ layers of clear coat.

Has anyone ever done anything like this before? If so, how well does it work/hold the paint?

Thank you for any replies,
Aaron

Mike DC

If you were dealing with a softer vinyl part that gets subject to that much wear, then I suspect it would never hold up for very long.  But a hard-plastic steering wheel might actually be a decent bet for trying to paint it.

I'd probably try a thin layer of something just to get the color right, and then several rounds of a good catalyzed clearcoat to make it durable.   

------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly I would just get the repro wheel and paint it whether the color wears over time or not. 

Cracked steering wheels are a real pet peeve of mine when it comes to cruisers.  And even when you get them repaired the gaps between the finger-grips are always gonna be uneven afterward.  I'd settle for a worn-color steering wheel that feels more intact any day. 

Ghoste

I guess I agree with MIke for the same reason, cracked wheels look like crap in a car but I agree with you as for being skeptical that paint would hold up very well.  For the time and trouble and rate of wear versus having a cracked wheel, I'd do it any way.

Chatt69chgr

I remember reading a post by a guy on here that restores plastic type steering wheels that have cracked.  He fills the cracks with an epoxy compound, sands everything smooth, and then paints them with a real high quality automotive paint.  Really, if you think about it, what choice do you have.  So, I would go ahead with the paint making sure that the surface is prepared properly and then use a clear coat as suggested. 

Death1970Proof

Could a steering wheel possibly be powdercoated???  :shruggy: It seems to hold up very good... :shruggy: :shruggy:
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

Ghoste

Wouldn't it melt during the baking process?

Death1970Proof

True probably should have thought of that .....but I didnt rememer how hot it got....  :smilielol:
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

gasoline_24

I would use this on your existing wheel.  Get some SEM paint to match the color you want for a topcoat.  I used the same on my wheel and it came out great.  I haven't used it yet so not sure how long it will hold up, but the cost is much cheaper than buying new and repainting.  It is an easy part to remove so repainting should not be too difficult every several years.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2569&itemType=PRODUCT

Captain D

Thanks guys for the responses,

I found one of these Deluxe Stock steering wheels in brown/tan color (the pebble-grain version). It is in need of some restoration, but a lot of people recommended Gary's Steering Wheel Restoration shop. I called & they can make it like new & match the brown/tan color it came w/ from the factory.

The painting option may work, but I think I may send it off for restoration. It just seems like the best sure thing in the long run. But, "thank you" for the many responses & suggestions!
High regards,
Aaron

plumbeeper

I may be wrong, but I think the pebble grain wheels didn't come out till 70.

Dave
http://www.woodgrainwheels.com
CLICK ABOVE FOR THE BEST MOPAR WOODGRAIN STEERING WHEEL RESTORATIONS

bull

SEM dye is the only thing I would think would stick like you want it to since it's made for hands-on use with arm rests, visors, etc.

Captain D

A lot of good info - thanks guys!

I found out that BE&A Parts is not only making the stock/deluxe steering wheel, but also the woodgrain version as well. Mike said that it'll be about 2 months. So, after all that I may just go w/ one of these woodgrain wheels. Recently, I learned that PGClassics also produces the woodgrain wheel. Does anyone have a pic of this wheel on their car? I searched the PGClassic website. The pic came up, but wasn't the greatest.

Thanks again!
Aaron

bull

Quote from: Captain D on March 28, 2008, 11:33:53 AM
A lot of good info - thanks guys!

I found out that BE&A Parts is not only making the stock/deluxe steering wheel, but also the woodgrain version as well. Mike said that it'll be about 2 months. So, after all that I may just go w/ one of these woodgrain wheels. Recently, I learned that PGClassics also produces the woodgrain wheel. Does anyone have a pic of this wheel on their car? I searched the PGClassic website. The pic came up, but wasn't the greatest.

Thanks again!
Aaron

Actually B/E&A and PG Classic use the same parts but B/E&A has licensing agreements with Chrysler to use original part numbers and the Chrysler symbol so in essense it's a real Chrysler part. I'm not trying to speak for Mike at B/E&A, just attempting to clarify the way they operate. Hopefully I got it right, or close to it.

Captain D

That's good to know. Yeah, BE&A Parts seems like a good company. If I recall correctly, I asked Mike what the price may be for the woodgrain steering wheel when they're done. And he said about the $300 ballpark range. That seems like a really good deal for a woodgrain 69' Charger wheel.

He was telling me about the new Charger upper door panel medallions they're producing. This month, they're on sale, so I snatched up a pair. I'm really looking forward to the woodgrain steering wheel!
Kind regards,
Aaron

plumbeeper

Don't hold your breath. Mikes been saying for over 2 years that the woodgrain wheel will be out in a few weeks. This is just his way of keeping people interested in his products and surveying if the demand warrants actually making the product. In the mean time, you'll have to rely on me.
Dave

Ghoste

But that only helps if you already have one.  ;) :stirthepot:

plumbeeper

Quote from: Ghoste on March 29, 2008, 12:47:33 PM
But that only helps if you already have one.  ;) :stirthepot:

I have some good cores so you don't necessarily need one to start with. It's usually cheaper for the restoration if you already have a core, I mean these core wheels were not free so I have to recoup the money I have in them to start with.  :icon_smile_big:

Dave

Charger-Bodie

Painting a steering wheel is actually simple its get it ready thats the real work (fixing cracks etc.) Make sure if you paint the wheel that you put a few coats of the appropriate gloss leval clear to avoid it wearing off as quickly........................Ive use base clear on a few steering wheels and theyve turned out well and still look great today.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

gasoline_24

How much are yours if you don't have a core Dave?

plumbeeper

I've been selling the 68-69 B-body woodgrain wheels for $1000.00 which is complete with the centercap, horn switch, cap retainer etc. ready to bolt on. The rimblow wheels are $1400.00 complete and ready to bolt on. The standard E-body woodgrain is $750.00 complete and ready to bolt on. I need more good cores so I can continue to offer this service. I have a lot of new and used parts for all of the woodgrain wheels in stock.

Dave

Captain D

Dang, seems odd that Mike, or any seller for that matter, would string buyers along in that perspective (regarding the woodgrain steering wheel repros). I don't know Mike as well as others, I've only purchased the upper door panel medallions from him for my 69' Charger. But, he's already produced the pebble grain, stock, steering wheels. So, perhaps it'll only be a matter of time before he cranks out the woodgrain wheels as well. As far as seeing if there is a "market" for the woodgrain wheels, I would highly think that there would be a market. After all, the woodgrain seems to be the most popular steering wheel for the Charger.
Kind regards,
Aaron

BEAPARTS

Quote from: plumbeeper on March 29, 2008, 11:53:50 AM
Don't hold your breath. Mikes been saying for over 2 years that the woodgrain wheel will be out in a few weeks. This is just his way of keeping people interested in his products and surveying if the demand warrants actually making the product. In the mean time, you'll have to rely on me.
Dave

Actually Dave, it was the rim blow steering wheel you and I discussed at the show not the bbody woodgrain.  I told you it was definitely something we will be looking at doing, not a wheel we were working on.  Yes, the bbody steering wheel is almost finished.  We had some issues with the die for the metal frame which has to be right.  Is there a part I let information about out to the public that we didn't come through with?  All the rest of you guys please don't pile on about the upper door pads, I have production sets in the shop right now and they look gorgeous.  Problem is, we put the lock knob location is for the 68 and 70 and since the 68-69 grain is the same I don't have the 69 with the correct lock location.

Dave, there's no question, your woodgrain wheel restorations are nothing short of stunning.  The rim blow you did that I have on one of my Cudas is awesome.  It is very discouraging to me to hear your comments, they kinda sound self serving for your wheel restoration.
I know you Dave and it's very unbecoming of you to make comments like that to promote your business.   

Bull, your comments are correct.

Michael C. Ross - Owner
B/E & A Restoration Parts, Inc.
www.beaparts.com
330-725-3990

plumbeeper

Whoa!...Whoa!...Whoa!...Don't get all ruffled. I was just rattling your cage a little, nothing serious. Maybe I should have added a  :poke: or  :stirthepot: there's no need to get out the  :2guns:

I know how hard it can be to get a product from an idea to production. It's usually not a quick smooth ride but the time invested pays off. Your products speak for themselves. I wouldn't have spent thousands of dollars on them if I didn't believe that.

Keep up the big :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Dave

BMOTOXSTAR

I was wondering the same thing. I am wanting to clone my Satellite and I want to add a RR steering wheel.
I want to dye/paint a steering wheel green, for a 74'. Sounds like it might work. I guess I will try the SEM.
73' Dodge Rallye Charger 400/4BBL
06' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4X4 HEMI
15' Dodge Dart 2.7 SXT