News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

how close is a 57 belvedere to the original christine car??

Started by police1, March 08, 2008, 08:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

police1

hi. is the 57 belvedere the same as the christine car from the movie? thanks !!

charger490

the 58 plymouth was the christine car they used the 2 door fury car but in some front and rear takes of the car they also used the 4 door  don

police1

TUFCAT

The movie car in Christine wasn't a Fury - - it was a Belvedere.  1958 Fury's only came in only came in one color, beige (ivory) with gold trim.  All 1958 Furys had the word "Fury" on the fins.  I'm not sure if I saw any 4-door 58's used in the in the movie.  Only a real 1958 Fury had the 318 8-bbl engines with two 4 barrel carbs - like they showed in the movie.  

police1

is the 57 boy the same as the 58? what are the differences if any? :shruggy:

Zinc

pretty much the same body style, however the 57 side trim dosen't turn up the tail fin like a 58, a 57's side trim, sorry, is simular to a 57 chevy belair, go horizontal with the bodyline, also the lower grill underthe front bumber has vertical slots, whereas the 58's are horizontal, and looks like the main grille, also the 57 has an odd shape smaller hi beam lense and housing, whereas the 58's quad lites are all sizzed the same, the cars are very close if you wanted to convert 1 yr to the other? the interiors also are very simular, hope this helps, and fior the record Chistines body style is thatr of a 58 beveldere, not a fury, although steven king portrayed it in his book as a fury, the large wide hokey stick applique strip, was only used on bevys, sport sedan bevys, the fury had a single chrome strip about 1 1/2" wide that ran along the bodyline and turned up at the tailfin, the dual 4 bbl engine shown in chistine was only available in the fury, 290 HP, 318 cid,also the tailights went from triangle in 57, to round bullets in 58

LeeBoy

I believe these are a 57 and a 58
My 68 Charger build http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,41318.0.html
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 2005 HEMI Ram( totaled with only 27,000 miles on it!), 1977 Power Wagon (Sold), 1977 Plymouth Trailduster, 1974 360 Cuda, 1973 Satellite Sebring Plus, 1973 D200 Adventurer Sport, 1968 Charger (sold), 1965 Dart (sold)

694spdRT

Don't forget the 350 with 2 4bbl's was also available in 1958. :yesnod:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

bull

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 08, 2008, 09:38:16 PM
The movie car in Christine wasn't a Fury - - it was a Belvedere.  1958 Fury's only came in only came in one color, beige (ivory) with gold trim.  All 1958 Furys had the word "Fury" on the fins.  I'm not sure if I saw any 4-door 58's used in the in the movie.  Only a real 1958 Fury had the 318 8-bbl engines with two 4 barrel carbs - like they showed in the movie.  

I heard they used both models for the movie (and made them all look alike) but according to the story it was a Fury. "Belvedere" doesn't sound very scary.

Charger_Fan

I like the 57's taillights better than 58's. They fill the fin area, instead of being a little dot in a big panel that the '58 model has.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

pettyfan43

Quote from: Zinc on March 08, 2008, 11:49:32 PM
pretty much the same body style, however the 57 side trim dosen't turn up the tail fin like a 58, a 57's side trim, sorry, is simular to a 57 chevy belair, go horizontal with the bodyline, also the lower grill underthe front bumber has vertical slots, whereas the 58's are horizontal, and looks like the main grille, also the 57 has an odd shape smaller hi beam lense and housing, whereas the 58's quad lites are all sizzed the same, the cars are very close if you wanted to convert 1 yr to the other? the interiors also are very simular, hope this helps, and fior the record Chistines body style is thatr of a 58 beveldere, not a fury, although steven king portrayed it in his book as a fury, the large wide hokey stick applique strip, was only used on bevys, sport sedan bevys, the fury had a single chrome strip about 1 1/2" wide that ran along the bodyline and turned up at the tailfin, the dual 4 bbl engine shown in chistine was only available in the fury, 290 HP, 318 cid,also the tailights went from triangle in 57, to round bullets in 58

on the 57, the smaller light isn't the High beam, it is the turn signal and housing.

pettyfan43

Quote from: TUFCAT on March 08, 2008, 09:38:16 PM
The movie car in Christine wasn't a Fury - - it was a Belvedere.  1958 Fury's only came in only came in one color, beige (ivory) with gold trim.  All 1958 Furys had the word "Fury" on the fins.  I'm not sure if I saw any 4-door 58's used in the in the movie.  Only a real 1958 Fury had the 318 8-bbl engines with two 4 barrel carbs - like they showed in the movie.   

The engine shown in the movie was the 350 Wedge (the first b engine), Never seen a poly 318 with the distributor up front.   :icon_smile_big: plus if you watch the "show me" scene, the valve covers have red detailing on them and have "350" on them in red.

Mike DC

Steven King called it a "Fury" but he knowingly changed the car's original color to something non-factory. 

Beige just doesn't strike terror in the hearts of high school delinquents the way red does. 

FastbackJon

I still think it should have been a '66 Charger instead of the Fury. The headlights would rotate over to show she's alive!!! AHHHH!!!
"This was the dedication of the altar, in the day when it was anointed, by the princes of Israel: twelve chargers of silver, twelve silver bowls, twelve spoons of gold..." -- Numbers 7:84 KJV

Cooperman

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian because I hate plants!

HITMAN 149

http://www.junkyardjewels.com/cars1.html

check these out... there is a belvedere & a fury!!! LOL
as well as some cool mopars too
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

bull

I unearthed this by accident and thought it would be relevant here: http://www.allpar.com/history/christine.html

Below is a pic of the stunt car that got Moochie in the movie. The guy found it in a studio wrecking yard, bought it for $900 and restored it. They had to push it from behind with a bulldozer for that scene. :o

MoParMetal

my wife knows all about Christine. mostly cause her name is Christine. she has tons of copies of the book. i think theres like 5 different covers. she has the first series printed. second series. i dont know. she keeps them hidden from me, mostly cause id probably grab em with my greasy hands.  :yesnod:
looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

694spdRT

Quote from: bull on March 25, 2008, 12:08:30 AM
I unearthed this by accident and thought it would be relevant here: http://www.allpar.com/history/christine.html

Below is a pic of the stunt car that got Moochie in the movie. The guy found it in a studio wrecking yard, bought it for $900 and restored it. They had to push it from behind with a bulldozer for that scene. :o

That is an interesting story. I think the actual car pushed by the dozer was another one with a rubber front if I am reading that right. This one chased Moochie around.

The other part that I totally missed until reading it was the details on filming the assembly line during the opening scene. It never really occured to me that all those cars were the ones being smashed up in the movie shortly thereafter. I guess in my perfect world all those biege beauties just went home to their warm garages after filming.   :'(   
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

bull

Quote from: 694spdRT on March 25, 2008, 12:39:58 AM
The other part that I totally missed until reading it was the details on filming the assembly line during the opening scene. It never really occured to me that all those cars were the ones being smashed up in the movie shortly thereafter. I guess in my perfect world all those biege beauties just went home to their warm garages after filming.   :'(   

Funny, I thought the same thing. After reading that article I'm like well yea, duh, they've got all the cars they need for the movie right there in line behind Christine. Those movie guys can really mess with your head. :eek2:

Mike DC

That one didn't sneak up on me.  I was thinking about the fates of all those other cars right away when I saw the opening scene.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: 694spdRT on March 09, 2008, 12:28:42 AM
Don't forget the 350 with 2 4bbl's was also available in 1958. :yesnod:

that was what was used in the movie....   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip