News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Gas tanks and locatoins?

Started by ck1, March 19, 2008, 11:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck1

I was just watching a commercial and notice a gas tank filler neck behind the licence plate...............what car had this? and what weird locations have been gas tanks and filler necks?  think the older jeep CJ5 had one under the driver seat and filler neck just to the lower left of door jam causing a explotion from a cigarette which cause the company to relocate tank and filler neck so driver wasn't exploded 500 feet in the air.......................old Chevy trucks had this same problem from what I remember for theres were just out the drive side window too by door jam in line with the lower window in cab?   Any cool defect story's are welcome.  Like I herd Chrysler had a law suit about there older cars had no locking seat latch to prevent the upper seat from coming forward on a head on collsin......
CJK

bull

I remember lots of cars that had the flip down license plate access to the gas cap when I worked at a gas station back in the late '80s. I think it was a GM thing for the most part although some Mopars had it. I know some of the old Belvederes had them.

Rolling_Thunder

Behind the license plate ?

Ummmmm  ALOT of cars

1970-1974 Plymouth Cuda
1968-1970 Plymouth Road Runner/GTX/Satellite
1968-1970 Dodge Coronet/Super Bee

and ALOT of GM cars...    some fords
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Mike DC

It's a nice way to hide the filler location. 

But I can't imagine them ever building a car like that now.  Safety concerns.

8WHEELER

Hey CK
My 70 Superbee was behind the plate, It was kind of a pain when I started it at work, pulled up to our
gas tank to fill it up, and left it running to let it warm up some. I know I should have just shut it off, but
when its cold as hell out, it was always nice to let it warm up faster letting it run.............

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

1969chargerrtse

Most Gm's were there back then.  Our new 69 Chevelle was one of them.  Another reason the Charger was so cool.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

greatwn73

71-74 Chargers !!!

57 chevs had it behind the tailight

Tilar

So did the cadillac in the mid 50's. Then there was the VW where you raised the hood.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: greatwn73 on March 20, 2008, 06:20:23 AM

71-74 Chargers !!!

unbelieve that nobody mentioned before!!! ( same as 4 doors brothers )

just that on Chargers wasn't flip down, is flip up

I LOVE THE 50s CADDIS LOCATION hidden down the driver side tail light , would wish to see the face of gas station operator searching it LOL ( I already have fun when they are searching mine )
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Brock Samson

Good gripe..
the b bodies all had them there except a few models like second gen charger 66-57 gtx the 67-8 cuda and the darts and such,... my 71 R.R. has it there and it's a real pain as i have to get down - stooping over, sometimes on my knees to get the licence plate down, while unscrewing the cap then it had too go some where while i manuver the nozzle into position sideways... not much room either to get the nozzle in either, it must be done at a radical angle meanwhile streaching the hose to it's limit, and i have to be careful to get the rear middle of the bumper where the plate is located as close to the pump as possible... not allways possible if there's a larger car of truck at the pump ahead of me...
yeah it's a bug pain in the kiester,.. I'd say the Chargers fender mounted flip top is approx. a 90% improvment...
what i don't like about the chargers' flip top is the trunk space taken up by the filler pipe in the trunk...