News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has anyone used The Chrysler Historical Society

Started by az69rtcharger, October 10, 2005, 08:35:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

az69rtcharger

Has anyone used The Chrysler Historical Society to get any information on thier Chargers????

Here is an address I found;
THE CHRYSLER HISTORICAL SOCIETY
Address: Daimler Chrysler Corporate
Historical Collection CIMS 410-11-21, 12501
Chrysler Freeway,  Detroit MI 48288, USA

Ghoste

I am in the middle of that process right now.  I just recieved the application from them to get the build record for my car.  They also sent me a service available and price list sheet.  They have owners manuals and service manuals but there is a notation that they are no longer reproducing manuals so availability is limited to whatever is left.
Photographs of most vehicles with limited color available prior to mid 80's at 15 for 8X10 bw and 25 for color.
Research.  Nothing to extensive here only that if your request requires a lot of time you will be contacted to discuss a research fee.
Production numbers (general numbers with no color or option breakdowns) for no charge.
And build records for US built cars prior to 1967 for 45 bucks.  25 dollars for US built trucks prior to 1954.  Neither one can be had before 1930.
Until my build record arrives, there isn't much more I can add.

ITSA426

I got the build info for my '67 from them.  Prompt service, no complaints.  I also sent in a request they couldn't fill and they sent back a nice explanation and returned my check so I guess I'd recommend them.

AKcharger

So they have all the data on when my car was built? is it just the same stuff that's on the fender tag or is there more data...this might be somthing I'm interested in

Thanks

Charger_Fan

How does the process work? Do you mail a request for info & they mail back an application, then you return a check with the application?

Also, I've heard that because of a fire they had way back when, that the records were destroyed for late 60's to early 70's cars...or was that different records?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

694spdRT

You are right ChargerFan. The data for the earlier cars is much better than the later ones. There was a fire that destroyed most of the records from approximately 1968 on.   You can always try it I guess. They have info on our 1959 Sport Fury that we are sending in for soon. I think there is just a form to fill out along with the payment.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

Ghoste

It clearly states on the sheet they sent me that they do NOT have any records after model year 1967.  I guess you can always try it.  Yes, if you write the address and make the request, they will send you the form, you send them a check and voila, there you have it.  Basically, it is a photocopy of the IBM punch card used by the factory to generate a broadcast sheet.  In other words it is the master document for the broadcast.  All of theoptions that came on your car will be listed there as well as the scheduled build date and the "ship to" which is helpful if it went to a dealer and you want to know.

beedees

Could  a build sheet be reproduced from the info. on from the punch-cards? If so, would it be acceptable as being authentic? Mine is missing and was just wondering.
                       Thanks ???

694spdRT

I don't think anyone is reproducing buildsheets just fender tags.  The punchcard is the next best thing to a buildsheet and will authenticate what your car came with.
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Dodge Don

Ghoste

I don't think you could get the buildsheet repro'd but you could get a fender tag done.  A lot of cars didn't come with the buildsheet anyway.  It was never intended to go (or not go, it was for assembly line use only) with the car.  However, they should all have come with a fender tag.

beedees

I've got the tag, but there seems to be some confusion over just what is supposed to be on the car.
Seems the tag doesn't jive completely with the car.....ask three people what the tag says, get four different answers. I'd just like to know what is right. :eyes:

694spdRT

Quote from: beedees on October 10, 2005, 07:38:23 PM
I've got the tag, but there seems to be some confusion over just what is supposed to be on the car.
Seems the tag doesn't jive completely with the car.....ask three people what the tag says, get four different answers. I'd just like to know what is right. :eyes:

What are the inconsistencies between your fender tag and the car? I am sure the members here can give you a good idea what's right. 
1968 Charger 383 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T