News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stupid comments about your car

Started by 69bronzeT5, March 18, 2008, 01:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHRGR SE

While pushing my '73 Charger SE into a space for the start of a two year restomod, one of the younger bodyshop guys asked, "What kind of car is this?". Granted the emblems are long since gone but you would think the fetus would have at least known it is a Charger. I might put on one of the new Mopar M emblems but I am afraid they may mistake it for an early M series BMW.
Under construction 1973 Charger SE/RT resto-mod.

Kevin68N71

1) The biggest one for me is "Mr. Displacement".  You know the kind.  "Hey, does this thing have the 440 Hemi?  Oh, I knew a guy with a GTO that had the 383 in it.  Yeah, but my brother had a 429 in his Corvette and it was the fastest....." and on and on.

2) Had a guy insist my car was a 1970, to the point I thought he was going to take a swing at me.  "You're car is a 70, 70's don't have a divided grille!"  "Uh, no.  A 68 has an open grille.  A 69 is divided.  A 70 is open but has a CHROME BUMPER GOING ALL THE WAY AROUND IT."  "No way dude, you're wrong!"

3) Yes the dumazz General Lee comment all the time.

4) "Mr. Correct".  "That bumper is not right.  You need overspray here.  That bulb should be frosted.  The wire retainer is missing.  The...."
Do I have the last, operational Popcar Spacemobile?

FLG

Yep, i really dont understand why i get the "Dukes of hazard" comment from some folks.... :brickwall:

Brock Samson

...engine bay shouldn't be black?...
6. ...Both seats should have tiger skins?...
7.  ...I had one just like that?...                   :smilielol:

Kevin68N71

Oh, I mentioned this in a long screed when I first joined.

Idiot ex-wife's "freinds", the guy literally sold hot dogs at the beach in Venice.  I was driving my Charger as an everyday car then, and he commented on what a gas guzzler it was (this would have been like 1985, not exactly outrageous gas then).  He said I should sell it and buy a Honda, a real car.

I wonder how the hot dog business is now?

69*F5*SE

I've gotten the typical "You should paint it orange and turn it into a General Lee" too many times.   :flame:

Johnny SixPack

OK, I've gotten: "I'll give my left nut for your car", what, no one wants to give up their right nut? and, "what's that, a Camaro?"
Plus the oft spoken, "when you gonna put the flag and 01 one on it?", comment on my '70 (v2).

Either way, I don't care, because I'm the mofo driving out of there in a '70 Hemi-Orange R/T SE SixPack.  :D :nana: :2thumbs:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

General_01

Quote from: 68Charger4me on March 18, 2008, 04:00:39 PM
"All it needs is the flag on top, and an 01" :flame:  If I had a dollar every time I hear that one...

I never hear that one. :icon_smile_big:

My favorite: I have owned my Dodge Charger Super Bee since 1989. My mom, who passed away in 2003, would always tell people about my "Challenger". :smilielol:
1971 Dodge Charger Super Bee
496 stroker
4-speed

BlaineKaiser450

well i dont have a Charger (yet) but my dad and I have gotten a million retarded comments about our 69 Cougar. One kid and his friend were argueing that it was an "older Jaguar" and one guy at a gas station asked if it had a HEMI haha i just laughed at him
1969 Plymouth Satellite - 440 - 727 - 3.73 - 8 3/4 Suregrip

1993 Dodge W350 Dually

1999 F250 7.3

myk

"Hey dude, AWESOME Roadrunner!!!!"
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

ereru7

typical older know it all.... i had my dart the parts store. informs me how he had a 66 road runner with a hemi 440. and it ran ran low 11's when he rejetted it......... :eyes:

Kevin68N71

Quote from: ereru7 on April 15, 2008, 10:42:41 AM
typical older know it all.... i had my dart the parts store. informs me how he had a 66 road runner with a hemi 440. and it ran ran low 11's when he rejetted it......... :eyes:

Damn, see that is JUST the kind of talk I hate the most.  Like what are you supposed to say?  Just nod like an idiot, look away, or what?

Manfred318

I had this one last week.

I pulled in to the local eatery one morning to grab me a biscut before I had to face the hell that is the Post Office. Anyways I went in to order my breakfast and one of the guys that work there was on break, so he says " hey that is a nice car" I say "thanks" and continue waiting for my food. He then says "so is that a '78 or '79? My (insert family member here) had one just like it." I say "really, are you sure?? I don't think they made those then" He kinda looked at me with one of those dumb looks and I procede to explain that it is a '68. Then he asks me if it has one of those 383 Hemis in it. I said something to the effect of "My God, how did you know?!?" :ohhthesarcasm: Hopefully he picked up on the sarcasm because I was laying it on pretty thick. I them said "no actually its just a small block..." and before I could say 318 he blurts out "350!" I say "not quite its a 318" Then he says "yea those 317s are great motors. My (insert family member here) had one in his old Buick" I finished up my breakfast and headed out the door laughing at this moron :slap: The good thing was it gave me a good laugh while I had to stand in line in Hell (Post Office).

Current MoPars:
1968 Charger. 318 Out of commission:(
1975 Dart Swinger. 225 Pops daily ride.
1990 Dodge Ram. 360FI My daily ride.
2007 Magnum R/T. 5.7 Family wagon.

RECHRGD

Yesterday at the local NAPA store------Salesman tells me he had a '68 Charger that had the special "Police Interceptor 383".  It was originally ordered from the factory that way and the only reason they built it was because the original buyer was a retired sheriff.   ::) ::)
13.53 @ 105.32

andy74

2 of them here

yesterday i stopped at a friend of mines job,he is a salesamn at a local harley store,some 200 year old guy says to me as im leaving"i love your gto"

last night i stopped for gas at the store 2 blocks from home,a state trooper walks over to my car while im in paying,looks at the vin,and approaches me on the way out-"is this your car"i say "yes",he replies"is it a 340 six barrel,cause your vin says it is"i tell him,"no sir,tis is a 72 charger,and that engine was only in 71 cuda and challenger"  he says,"you should learn more about what you have",how can you argue with him,he is a cop and a dick head! :yesnod:

69bronzeT5

Quote from: andy74 on April 15, 2008, 12:17:03 PM
last night i stopped for gas at the store 2 blocks from home,a state trooper walks over to my car while im in paying,looks at the vin,and approaches me on the way out-"is this your car"i say "yes",he replies"is it a 340 six barrel,cause your vin says it is

Gotta love it when people are staring at your vin...
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

andy74

Quote from: 69bronzeT5 on April 15, 2008, 12:25:40 PM
Quote from: andy74 on April 15, 2008, 12:17:03 PM
last night i stopped for gas at the store 2 blocks from home,a state trooper walks over to my car while im in paying,looks at the vin,and approaches me on the way out-"is this your car"i say "yes",he replies"is it a 340 six barrel,cause your vin says it is

Gotta love it when people are staring at your vin...
in new york cody its right on your registration,fixed on the drivers corner of the windshield,next to the state inspection sticker-i usually leave my garage door opener over my vin tag,but anyone and their brother can read it,i agree it sucks but thats the price we pay for living in this shit hole of a state

Troy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 22, 2008, 07:14:19 PM
What is C-spripes ?  Hey if you give me your e-mail. I will send you a picture of my 73 Ramcharger.  I tried to post them here, but this dumb set up we have tells me the file is too large.. I never have a problem posting pictures except here in our web-site. Moderators...Are you listening ??
Hmmm, this "dumb set up" is free but I'll make you a deal. You volunteer to pay the hosting/bandwidth charges and I'll let you post pictures in any size you want. Sound fair? The current bill is $150 per month but the additional storage and bandwidth will likely bump that to a bit over $200. I take cash.

Thanks,
Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

andy74

is that sarcasm Troy? i had no idea what a website costs to run,but i am a computer retard too,so that would make sense!i think you are doing a awesome job! :cheers:

shameless ass kissing award to me!

Troy

In my experience, most web sites are cheaper but they also don't have the traffic that we do. This one has a dedicated server so that's why it seems expensive. Of course, it doesn't crash or crawl to a halt like the old site did either.

For what it's worth, I'm installing software to automatically resize pictures when they are uploaded. It's not the same as keeping the giant pictures that some people are so fond of but it will allow computer illiterates to post any picture they want. It's a decent compromise since few people really understand how to edit/resize pictures for the web.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

69bronzeT5

Time to bust this bad boy out :lol:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

andy74

Quote from: Troy on April 15, 2008, 02:08:41 PM
In my experience, most web sites are cheaper but they also don't have the traffic that we do. This one has a dedicated server so that's why it seems expensive. Of course, it doesn't crash or crawl to a halt like the old site did either.

For what it's worth, I'm installing software to automatically resize pictures when they are uploaded. It's not the same as keeping the giant pictures that some people are so fond of but it will allow computer illiterates to post any picture they want. It's a decent compromise since few people really understand how to edit/resize pictures for the web.

Troy

does the amount of traffic and or users effect the pricing structure?and i remember the old site how it would slow to a crawl at times,and go away sometimes too,does that have to do with band with or dedicated server? sorry to hi jack but this is very interesting to me

TK73

Dumb one on me:
Previous owner had pulled a bunch of stuff from under the hood and was setting the car up for drag racing, I wanted to do the same.  I had the car a year or two and was parked outside a Mopar show.  One of the clubs "numbers guys" looks at the fender tag and says "it's an a/c car" (like I cared) and I'm like "really?" and he says "yeah, look at the dash" (a/c controls)...   :-\

An acquaintance of some people I knew kept telling me about his '71 Charger he had at home for 9-10 years, finally decided to go see it.  Turns out it was a '72 (unless they changed ALL the marker lights and VIN-yeah).  Never had the heart to tell him...

So far I've gotten:
"Challenger" 2 times
"Mach 1" once
and a number of "what is it?"

1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

myk

"Hey man, what's that got?  318?  360? 396?, awesome Roadrunner man!"
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Kevin68N71

How many of you guys have longer hair now, or did "back in the day" (I hate that expression, almost as much a freaking "old school" but nevermind) and someone would look you up and down and say one of three dumbazz things:

1) Wanna score some dope man?

2) Know where I can score some dope man?

3) Wanna buy some great speakers I got in the back of this van?

But you ONLY get these if you have longer hair, AND drive an older muscle car.

Never understood that one.