News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stupid comments about your car

Started by 69bronzeT5, March 18, 2008, 01:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dstryr

Quote from: J-440 on June 06, 2014, 09:10:25 PM
I had a 67 triple black Coronet R/T with a slightly modded 440 that ran a 12.8.  Fully restored and only had 20,000 miles on it and driven on weekends. The black paint was like glass and it was a sleeper.  I decided to sell it and had a For Sale sign on the windshield.  A 20 year old kid and his girlfriend asked me what I wanted for it and I said "15".  Well, after a long conversation about the mods, he asked if I would take 1500 in cash.  I looked at him for a second kind of insulted, but then started laughing as I thought...well they're only 20.  I then explained to him about the $8000 paint and bodywork and he proceeded to quote me the price of the car in Kelley Blue Book.  I pretty much told him nicely that his little $1500 was not going to cut it. :icon_smile_big:

True story, friend of a neighbor kid asked if my 69 Judge was for sale somewhere around summer of '03 or '04. Told him no, asked again and I said "IF?  14.   Him: Hundred?  Me: add a zero,  Him: head down and walked to the neighbor's house.  Kid was probably 16 or 17, same deal.  We were all young once. ;)
dstryr, since 1986.

Bill of Rights
Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Not available in all states. Some restrictions apply.

Mike DC

We were all young once, but we weren't all stupid or insulting or delusional.

There is no excuse to look at a nice shiny restored car and offer a price that wouldn't buy the wheels & tires. 

RECHRGD

Not a stupid comment by any means, but related to young people.  Today I pull up to a stop light next to a carload of 20 somethings.  I can hear the chatter going on about what kind of car that is and then one guy sees the Charger script.  He goes, wow, it's a Charger!  He then politely asked me what year Charger that is.  I told him it was a '68.  He them compliments me on what a beautiful car it is.  Every face in the car had big smiles on their faces.  There is hope for the youngsters yet......
13.53 @ 105.32

MaximRecoil

Quote from: dstryr on June 08, 2014, 04:28:21 PM
True story, friend of a neighbor kid asked if my 69 Judge was for sale somewhere around summer of '03 or '04. Told him no, asked again and I said "IF?  14.   Him: Hundred?  Me: add a zero,  Him: head down and walked to the neighbor's house.  Kid was probably 16 or 17, same deal.  We were all young once. ;)

Why didn't you just say "fourteen thousand" in the first place? I'd like to know why the trend of abbreviating asking prices ever caught on in the first place, but it seems like everyone does it. It doesn't save any meaningful amount of time or effort, and it opens the door for an awkward and potentially insulting followup question.

When I was a kid, 18 or so (would have been about 1993), I needed a vehicle and I saw someone working on something in the interior of a mid-70s brown Camaro with a "For Sale" sign on it. I asked him how much, and he said "three". I thought to myself, "$300 seems really low, and he's dreaming if he thinks this plain-jane '76 turd-brown Camaro, complete with 'some rust', ratty interior, faded paint, tattered and torn tan vinyl top, a tired 305 that uses 'some oil', and an automatic transmission, is worth anywhere near $3,000." $1,200 before dickering was more like it, so I said, "Three what?" He acted all insulted and said, "Thousand," and grumbled something about "three hundred". I said, "Thanks," and left.  

Cooter

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on June 08, 2014, 06:33:10 PM

We were all young once, but we weren't all stupid or insulting or delusional.

There is no excuse to look at a nice shiny restored car and offer a price that wouldn't buy the wheels & tires. 

:2thumbs:
I knew what "15" meant when asking bout price even way back in 1989 as a teenager. Stupid is as stupid does.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69white hat

In Canada, especially Alberta, these cars are really rare. Mine was actually the first one I ever saw in person outside a car show. So when a friend of my friend asked me how much I'd sell it for, I just finished telling him I'd never sell it  ::),  I said "60" just off the cuff. He scoffed and said " If it was really really mint and all numbers matching, maybe. But I really don't think so." I told him if he ever finds a charger like that for that kind of money to call me. I would immediately buy it. He started laughing and that was the end of the conversation.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Cooter on June 09, 2014, 02:40:19 AM
I knew what "15" meant when asking bout price even way back in 1989 as a teenager. Stupid is as stupid does.

I wonder if the following scenario has ever happened:

Buyer: How much?
Seller: Fifteen.
Buyer: Sold (hands the seller $15,000).
Seller: Nice doing business with you (was expecting $1,500, but isn't going to complain).

As far as I'm concerned, I would never give a total stranger the benefit of the doubt that they are informed enough to know what the car is worth, so if they don't state the whole price, I would always ask them to. The junkyard owner sold LEE1 to Travis Bell and Gary Schneider for $400. What if the junkyard owner had just said "four"? Given its history, it was easily worth $4,000 ... in fact, it sold in the same wrecked junkyard condition for $20,000 on eBay. So some guys would have handed over $4,000, none the wiser to the fact that they paid 10 times the asking price all because they wanted to appear as if they were "in the know" enough to be "down" with the price-abbreviation lingo.

Baldwinvette77

Was this thing drag raced?

me: I dont know what the hell this thing did in the past

guy: what do you mean you don't know, Look at the bars inside

me:.... i put those in

guy: you put those in?

me..yeah.

Guy: you didnt weld them in did you?

me.... .... nah

Indygenerallee

QuoteWas this thing drag raced?

me: I dont know what the hell this thing did in the past

guy: what do you mean you don't know, Look at the bars inside

me:.... i put those in

guy: you put those in?

me..yeah.

Guy: you didnt weld them in did you?

me.... .... nah

:lol: :smilielol: :rofl:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: RECHRGD on June 08, 2014, 06:49:23 PM
Not a stupid comment by any means, but related to young people.  Today I pull up to a stop light next to a carload of 20 somethings.  I can hear the chatter going on about what kind of car that is and then one guy sees the Charger script.  He goes, wow, it's a Charger!  He then politely asked me what year Charger that is.  I told him it was a '68.  He them compliments me on what a beautiful car it is.  Every face in the car had big smiles on their faces.  There is hope for the youngsters yet......

A car load of 20 people. Really  :scratchchin:

jaak

Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 09, 2014, 11:12:54 PM
Not a stupid comment by any means, but related to young people.  Today I pull up to a stop light next to a carload of 20 somethings.  I can hear the chatter going on about what kind of car that is and then one guy sees the Charger script.  He goes, wow, it's a Charger!  He then politely asked me what year Charger that is.  I told him it was a '68.  He them compliments me on what a beautiful car it is.  Every face in the car had big smiles on their faces.  There is hope for the youngsters yet......

A car load of 20 people. Really  :scratchchin:

20 year olds, not 20 people

Jason

VegasCharger

Quote from: jaak on June 09, 2014, 11:16:51 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on June 09, 2014, 11:12:54 PM
Not a stupid comment by any means, but related to young people.  Today I pull up to a stop light next to a carload of 20 somethings.  I can hear the chatter going on about what kind of car that is and then one guy sees the Charger script.  He goes, wow, it's a Charger!  He then politely asked me what year Charger that is.  I told him it was a '68.  He them compliments me on what a beautiful car it is.  Every face in the car had big smiles on their faces.  There is hope for the youngsters yet......

A car load of 20 people. Really  :scratchchin:

20 year olds, not 20 people

Jason

I knew what you meant when you wrote 20 somethings  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

HeavyFuel

Quote from: myk on June 08, 2014, 06:48:13 AM

A lot of times I tell people at cruises or shows that the car belongs to whatever friend is riding shotgun, just so they'll leave me alone lol...

:lol:

My brother likes to talk alot, especially about cars, and he knows quite a bit.   So, whenever we go anywhere together with our cars (he's got a Prowler), I usually just stand back and  :icon_smile_big:

comet_666

Just Friday I was unloading the car at my house and a neighbor was walking by and kept making the Dixie horn noise....actually surprised he knew what it was seeing as it's not orange.

Kern Dog

Last Friday I exited the Freeway and a guy smiled and started telling me how he liked the sound of the car. Three intersections of stopping and talking....
I did a 1/2 throttle takeoff and left him in a fog. Probably what he wanted.   :2thumbs:

Matthan

I had a charger a few years ago that was a 1969 with a 318 in it and my neighbor asked me if I wanted to sell it so I told him sure 15 cash..........I went inside the house and a few minutes later my door bell rang and it was my neighbor .....he pointed at me and said I will give you 13 right now! And he also told me that he had already called his wife.......I told him no thanks and then he asked me why I could not go down $200.00 bucks.......I laughed and said he was way off and I it was $15,000 cash.

Cooter

Quote from: Matthan on June 12, 2014, 09:36:02 AM
I had a charger a few years ago that was a 1969 with a 318 in it and my neighbor asked me if I wanted to sell it so I told him sure 15 cash..........I went inside the house and a few minutes later my door bell rang and it was my neighbor .....he pointed at me and said I will give you 13 right now! And he also told me that he had already called his wife.......I told him no thanks and then he asked me why I could not go down $200.00 bucks.......I laughed and said he was way off and I it was $15,000 cash.

Which gets back to what Mike said, only a complete moron would ASSume you meant $1500.00....
Now, it seems they at least ask which it is.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

69CoronetRT

Them: WOW! What a great car! How much do you want for it?
Me: $xx,000.
Them: Your NUTS!
Me: That could be but I'll still own the car and you won't.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

comet_666

"My buddy had one of those with the 440 hemi engine in there"
"His was a hemi tri power with 4 on the floor"

Him - I saw someone with a 69 Charger today and I took a pic of it
Me - That is actually a Duster 340, see it says right there
Him - No it's not, it's a 69 Charger
Me - Don't you think I would know what a 69 Charger looks like seeing as I own one.

c00nhunterjoe

Headed to a huge cruise tomorrow. I will take notes on any absurb comments or questions and post my fin dings....

tfdub

I had my 71 Challenger shaker hood convertible at a local car show last week and I was asked by a couple of people if my car really came with that hood. When I told them yes and showed them a copy of the original window sticker and the hood is a $94 option, they were amazed it was so cheap - I only made $375 a month then. Of course when I'm driving it, I hear " Nice Charger!" from people.  When my Charger is all done and back on the road, I'm sure I'll hear " Nice Challenger!"

Ghoste

Which will still be better than "nice GTO".

bill440rt

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Baldwinvette77

Today a guy walked up to my car and immediately started saying, "oh you did this wrong, you didnt weld that properly, this door has a dent in it, this thing is gonna fall apart, You wont be able to get insurance with tack welds (seriously the F**K?  :lol: ) , Thats not cut properly, you didnt fishmouth the bars right, this isnt safe, its a good thing i have a short attention span otherwise this post would have been 1000 words long  :lol:

OH and the best part, "get a lincoln welder"

Me: i have a lincoln welder

Guy: OH, But whats that bottle for, is it an acetylene welder?

me:... no thats an argon bottle

guy: oh i dont like argon, stick and brazing is better.

i felt like i was being trolled  :smilielol:

ionracer24

Quote from: Mick70RR on March 18, 2008, 01:45:35 PM
I was warming the engine on the car park at work yesterday when a guy from the place I work came over and said " I see you still havn't sorted that idle problem out have you". Comp XS290S.

If i had a nickle......... :slap:
Real race cars have three pedals......