News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stupid comments about your car

Started by 69bronzeT5, March 18, 2008, 01:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

Here lately, it's gotten better, but it used to be people would talk about how they are big Mopar fans, I'm had one, and how it would fly, etc. Then, looking right at a 440, ask if it was a 318. :slap:
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

c00nhunterjoe

Top 3 are

Does it have the horn (bright red horns and air compressor clearly visible)
Where's daisy (she has the nova parked next to me lol)
Can i slide across the hood (can i punch you in the face?)

Ghoste

The number three one would really get to me.

challenger70

'68 383 A833 QQ1 Charger
'70  440 727 FY1 Challenger

Cooter

I usually say something like "you got enough money, I'll hold your camera/phone and take a video"...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

J-440

I had a 67 triple black Coronet R/T with a slightly modded 440 that ran a 12.8.  Fully restored and only had 20,000 miles on it and driven on weekends. The black paint was like glass and it was a sleeper.  I decided to sell it and had a For Sale sign on the windshield.  A 20 year old kid and his girlfriend asked me what I wanted for it and I said "15".  Well, after a long conversation about the mods, he asked if I would take 1500 in cash.  I looked at him for a second kind of insulted, but then started laughing as I thought...well they're only 20.  I then explained to him about the $8000 paint and bodywork and he proceeded to quote me the price of the car in Kelley Blue Book.  I pretty much told him nicely that his little $1500 was not going to cut it. :icon_smile_big:
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

Cooter

Funny, being Friday, I decided to drive General Lee. Of course the mgr. Decided he'd attempt to tell me about how much the cars are worth, how much mine vs the ot ghost er is worth, etc.

I tell him about my Dart and that it's for sale. Ok, this well known flipper comes in t hth e shop and I'm in the middle of an engine job on a box truck/van. Proceeds to ask me what 'Chargers' I have for sale as the mgr. Up front said I did. I tell him no, it's a dart. He immediately asks if he can buy the orange car.

Ok, I say anything's for sale I guess. Not two days ago, he's telling us how he just went to an auction looking to buy a backhoe for $17k he had taken with him, but it sold for $34k to a guy outta New York.

He says "so would $10k be an insult. CASH"...as if I'd take a check/money order/ finance agreement/etc???
I say kinda....

Um, did he just assume I didn't remember two days ago talking bout $17k??? Or the fact that he's just a flipper looking to make money???
I tell him what it would take an he immediately begins to tell the mgr. How I'm asking top dollar and he can't make any money. WTF??

VegasCharger

Wicked72

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on May 30, 2014, 11:14:16 PM
A few days ago a guy asked "what years the charger" i said... "69.. i suppose, but its a really a 68"

TODAY he came up to me and said "hey i told a few friends about the satellite youre building"   :smilielol:

I had a neighbor that would come by and even after being told it was a charger he keeps asking when ill get my satellite up and running..... i told him Direct TV installed it a few years ago, its working fine thanks.
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

myk

Baldwinvette77

Today i got my first "gonna paint it orange with an 01?" comment  :2thumbs:

Was from a young couple maybe about 25

TPR

My neighbor once called me Clint Eastwood. I didn't get it at first, but I guess he thinks it's a Gran Torino.  :rotz:
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

MaximRecoil

A woman asked me today if my car ('69) is a GTO. A friend of mine that I went to school with constantly calls it a Challenger. I've heard it called simply "Dukes car" dozens of times (or as the old timers here in Maine say: "Dukesh cah").

HANDM

Curiously, I have yet to get any sort of GL comments, just a lot of "is that your charger?" which is stupid in a way as they can clearly see me getting out of it.......lol

1974dodgecharger

If I ever get to meet any other members on this board from now on Im gonna ask a stupid questions from this thread.  :icon_smile_big:

myk

Quote from: HANDM on June 07, 2014, 11:48:29 PM
Curiously, I have yet to get any sort of GL comments, just a lot of "is that your charger?" which is stupid in a way as they can clearly see me getting out of it.......lol

A lot of times I tell people at cruises or shows that the car belongs to whatever friend is riding shotgun, just so they'll leave me alone lol...

TPR

Quote from: myk on June 08, 2014, 06:48:13 AM
Quote from: HANDM on June 07, 2014, 11:48:29 PM

A lot of times I tell people at cruises or shows that the car belongs to whatever friend is riding shotgun, just so they'll leave me alone lol...

Ha. I do a similar thing when people have to come to my house and them seeing the Charger in the garage is unavoidable.
I tell them that it belongs to a friend and I'm storing it for a short time, that way I can answer all their questions with 'I don't really know'.
Perhaps I should invest in a car cover.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

HANDM

Often times I'll say it's my sons car (he's 14) as he is always riding shotgun. People don't quite know what to say to that......

Thing of it is, when we drive the Cuda, I don't get any "is that your Cuda" usually it's an enthusiastic F! Yeah! or something similar :)

gonzoe

Kern Dog

Come on, guys! Driving one of these high profile beautiful cars must be akin to being a good looking woman walking around in public. People get flustered and accidently say stupid things. I know that sometimes I have blurted out stuff I didn't mean to say when I went up to talk to a woman. These cars can be intimidating to some people. Sometimes they get so excited, they lose their minds!

HANDM

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on June 08, 2014, 12:57:23 PM
Come on, guys! Driving one of these high profile beautiful cars must be akin to being a good looking woman walking around in public. People get flustered and accidently say stupid things. I know that sometimes I have blurted out stuff I didn't mean to say when I went up to talk to a woman. These cars can be intimidating to some people. Sometimes they get so excited, they lose their minds!

Best analogy yet!

:2thumbs:

Ghoste

All true, but also true is that sometimes the person is stupid.

jaak

Quote from: NJRBros on June 04, 2014, 03:09:01 PM

I really hate it when people act like they know more about your own car...

At the local Bojangles, every Saturday night they have a cruise in. I stopped by and hung out about an hour a couple of weeks ago. I was actually having a good conversation with a guy around my father's age (in his 60s), he was a Chevy guy, but he was telling me about a 68 Super Bee he once owned. Well I popped open the hood, because he wanted to see the engine. Another fellow comes up then says "Nice car. Whats it got in it, a 318 or 383?" I reply "440".
Well he starts snooping around under the hood, I can't recall exactly what he said, but he was basically trying to prove I had a 383, not a 440. Before I could say anything, the Chevy guy walked up to the engine, pointed at the ID pad, and said "If it was a 383, that wouldn't be right there....its a 440." I just thought is was funny some jack ass was trying to prove me wrong on MY car, and he got schooled by a Chevy guy.

I don't claim to know everything mechanical, don't claim to everything about Mopars or even Chargers. But at one time or another, I have removed/replaced every nut, bolt and screw on my R/T. I think I know that car better than anyone else does.

Jason

Baldwinvette77

Whenever i tell people i have 413 out of a motorhome, everyone likes to say, "oh that motors a legend in drag racing"

i usually say.. "no, this is a low compression, single carb gashog, not the motor youre thinking of"

one guy said "nah, let me tell you something about that motor, long before your time that motor was.. Blah blah blah....  :sleep:

Ghoste

Yeah, same block, bore and stroke but thats about it huh?