News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stupid comments about your car

Started by 69bronzeT5, March 18, 2008, 01:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UH60L

Quote from: 68Charger4me on March 18, 2008, 04:00:39 PM
"All it needs is the flag on top, and an 01" :flame:  If I had a dollar every time I hear that one...

Do you own a '68 or '69 charger?  Is it Orange?  Did you expect people to forget, when the show is still on tv in reruns in many parts of the world?

If I had a dollar for every anti-general lee comment I read on here, I could finish restoring my car.   :coolgleamA:

Kern Dog

I love the General. I always have. having stated that......
NOT every 69 Charger needs to be turned into a GL clone! The factory made them in all sorts of colors!
I think that the people that make General Lee comments are only doing so because its the first thing that comes to mind. They see the Charger and feel compelled to comment on what is certainly the most recognizable TV car ever.

Ghoste

The GL comments are definitely are turn off for me as well.  I can understand that if you like the show, you would take those comments as a compliment but if you were had a dollar for every anti GL comment on this board and it gave you enough money to restore your car it would probably also indicate the number of people who would find "turn that thing into a GL" comments as unwelcome.

64dartgt

My Cousin who is a huge NASCAR fan..."Are you going to paint it orange?"  my response..."You should know better...the most famous color combo for a 1973 is Petty Blue and STP Red!"  :nana:

"On February 18, 1973, in a driver's duel, Petty, in a newly built 1973 Dodge Charger (a body style he would use exclusively until the end of 1977) outlasted Baker (now with the K&K Insurance Dodge race team) to win his fourth Daytona 500 after Baker's engine gave out with six laps left. One year later, Petty won the Daytona "450" (shortened 20 laps {50 mi/80 km} due to the energy crisis) for the fifth time en route to his fifth Winston Cup Championship." [wikipedia]

Stretch

"What year Torino is that?"

Or my personal favorite...

"Nice Challanger! I had one just like it only mine was black and it had a 426 Hemi 6pack! It had a pistol shift 4 speed with a 3800 RPM stall converter and a 9 inch in it!"

~rolls eyes~ So what your saying is it's just like mine. Only more rare? ~walks away smilling and nodding~
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

UH60L

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on August 08, 2011, 12:47:03 AM
I love the General. I always have. having stated that......
NOT every 69 Charger needs to be turned into a GL clone! The factory made them in all sorts of colors!
I think that the people that make General Lee comments are only doing so because its the first thing that comes to mind. They see the Charger and feel compelled to comment on what is certainly the most recognizable TV car ever.

The point I was trying to make is, like you said, it's the first thing that comes to mind.  It isn't necessarily a "stupid comment" for them to make, especially if the car they are making it about is a '68 or '69 charger.  I give them credit for knwoing that it's the correct year and car.

I understand that some people may not like to hear that all the time, but that doen't make them "stupid comments".  It just means you own a car model and year that is very popular all over the world.......just not for the reasons you may want it to be......

I wonder how often Torino owners get starsky comments?

markrt68

I got asked the other day, " what is that , a Cadillac,? " :o

mpdlawdog

"A guy told me he had a 67 RT just like mine"....mine is a silver 68.....I just said really and drove away
"Life is Tough...It's even tougher when you are stupid"  -John Wayne-

mauve66

yeah i can see that, 67 coronet r/t and 69 charger look about the same, not a separate identity like a 1st gen.......................... :D :D
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

70sixpkrt

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

TheGhost

My personal favorite was when I owned my 67 Barracuda. I was working at a KFC at the time. Some new guy walks in, and immediately asks "Who owns the GTO?" I told him it was a Barracuda, and it was mine. He replied "You bought a FORD?"

The kid drove a V6 gen 4 Camaro.

True story.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

bill440rt

A dear friend of mine years ago used to have a Superbird. Some lady walks by us at a car show & asks, "What is this, a Pontiac??"   Meanwhile it has the big a$$ PLYMOUTH decals on the quarters.  ::)   I still laugh to this day.

RIP, Pete.  :angel:

These days, I get "Do you know you have the wrong gas cap on there?" about my '69. I usually respond with, "Really?? You've got to be shitting me!"  ::) :smilielol:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

CrAzYMoPaRGuY

My buddy bought a 1958 Fury in Montana. He had it shipped to the border.
When he picked the car up he had it switched to B.C. registration, and he brought it home.
Turns out the girl at the border thought PONTIAC made Furys. Sooooo..... his BC registration had "1958 Pontiac Fury" on it.
Took him ONE YEAR to get it corrected properly....

charger01

I had a guy come look at a car I had for sale and the charger was sitting outside.  He commented "Nice Judge"............what?  You would think if he knew what a Judge was , he would know it no way resembles a charger. :slap:

hatersaurusrex

After explaining to my coworker that not only is the '68 my dream car since childhood but that my brother would be doing all the work so it's a family affair... his response: "So, are you gonna flip it?"

Yeah, cause that's what people with no soul do.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

jaak

I pulled up at a gas station near my house the other day...Ford guy in a Rustang pumpin' gas, hollers at me across the parking lot "Nice Challenger!"

At least he acknowledged it was a Mopar.

Jason

TUFCAT

I got a stupid comment today.  A twenty something kid said he was "huge mopar nut" ...then asked what year my car was. :shruggy: So I tell him its a 1967.....

He said his Uncle has one like mine, but with rare "factory ordered" fender skirts. :confused:

He was a nice enough kid so I cut him some slack. ;)

ChgrSteve67

Just when you think there is a glimmer of hope for the young crowd they open their mouth trying to prove how smart they are and you just want to pull out your sharpie and write fail on their forehead.

71ChallengeHer

I stopped to get gas in the Challenger , friday nite.  There is some Deliverance looking guy getting gas in a Neon. He is like "I'm a Mopar guy. I drove the whole way to Michigan to get this Neon. "  So he is checking out my car. And looks inside . Oh you only have 150 mph speedp. I have a 160.  ::)  I'm trying to ignore him. So he says I'm gonna open your hood and look at your motor. So I said don't touch my car. And he was woo woo the lady says don't touch her car. So I'm taking my gas cap off and getting ready to fill it up. Turn around and this douche bag is leaning on my car. So I said get off my car. Woo woo the lady said get off your car. So what part of don't touch my car didn't you understand         :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

A383Wing

Jackie...you should have told him that the lug nuts on your car require more torque than his little Neon could ever put out...

every time we take one of the 66 Chargers to a show, someone always comes up and says they had one once...

Bryan

71ChallengeHer

Quote from: A383Wing on May 20, 2012, 09:37:54 PM
Jackie...you should have told him that the lug nuts on your car require more torque than his little Neon could ever put out...

every time we take one of the 66 Chargers to a show, someone always comes up and says they had one once...

Bryan

I actually considered knocking the rest of his teeth out with the tire iron.   :D

ChgrSteve67

His Neon couldn't do 160 mph even if you pushed it out of a airplane at 20k feet.

I got on my co-workers ass about closing my Chargers door with his ass Friday.
People generally don't have respect for other peoples property.
You were smart not letting him touch your car.

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Dino

You know I've had plenty stupid comments in the last few weeks but it was no big deal.  They were all innocent comments and I don't mind that at all.  Not everyone's a car nut.  If they have positive comments about the car and they're grinning ear to ear then I couldn't care less what they think it is.

I get the GL comment quite a bit but again if it's innocent and well meant so what?  Heck I will tell them myself it's the same car when they can't figure out where they know it from.  It's the douchebags that think GL or nothing that tick me off.  It's nobody's business what I do with my car.  It's all in the way people act.  Jackie I wouldn't have blamed you for knocking out his last teeth.  I probably would have doused him and started looking for a match!  I'm gonna open your hood...what nerve!   :RantExplode:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

XS29L9B2

nice mustang hors that is starsky and hutch car's
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona