News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stupid comments about your car

Started by 69bronzeT5, March 18, 2008, 01:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gschmidt211

The first time I had my '72 Charger Rallye out in public, a guy came up to me and told me that if he owned the car, he would fill in the impressions on the doors so that they are nice and smooth.  His rational was that it would make the car more aerodynamic and faster of course.

I had no idea how to respond to that.  To this day it is an ongoing joke with my friend who was there to witness the comment.

This was not some dude off of the street.  I got this comment a spring, Mopar only, swap meet.
1972 Charger Rallye
2014 Ram Outdoorsman 3.6L 4x2
1978 D100 Utiline Standard Cab

Cooter

Well, since you guys with "Regular" Chargers seem to be getting your fair share of "when are you gonna make a GL out of it" comments, I'll give you a few that are aimed at the General Lee I have....

1. While looking right at my '69 Charger, a guy tells his wife "Honey, the REAL GL didn't have door handles and it was a '69..This ones a '68"...

2. "Where's Daisy?" Reply: "She's in the trunk"...

3. "You climb through the windows?" Reply: "Not when there's a fully functional set of doors that open"...

4. "Hey! those doors are supposed to be welded shut like the REAL GL"..Reply: "Guess what? The REAL General Lees doors weren't "Welded" shut either".

5. "Can I slide across your hood?" Reply: If you've got enough money, I'll even let you jump it too!"...

6. "Do you run the special shocks to jump it?" Reply: "Why yes, I even have special concrete in the trunk for the landings as well"...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

djcarguy

old

,maybe but great read for newer guys,,,thanks???????????

stupid comments:::   like early HEMI'S ARE ALL POS    ABOUT A 392
                                 LIKE HAS TO BE RESTORED JUST LIKE THE FACTORY DID IT

Kern Dog

My Charger is a 70 model, Flame Red in color. I have heard the General Lee comments, which I dont mind. I love that car and am a huge fan of the show. I have also heard the "Fast and Furious" references too. That doesn't bother me either. Truthfully, I get positive comments and always appreciate them.
Yeah, the comments ...." Nice car, but hows the mileage?" can be annoying, but when I say..." Right now I'm getting around 11, but I can also turn a high 11 second quarter mile with deeper gears."
A common question is...."Is that a 440 SIX PACK"? It seems that every guy that asks that had one back when they were new. I guess they only made 3 or 4 cars with a 4 barrel carburetor. ALL the rest were Six Pack cars.

ChargerD100

my best comment was about a tattoo I have of my 70 Dodge D100 PICKUP.. with a big R/T logo behind it... I was at Taco Bell and I had a sleeveless shirt on, and the guy at the counter says thats a sweet Tattoo of a '67 GTO. I thought he was referring to my tattoo I have of the General Lee I point at it thats a Charger man, he says no yer other arm the GTO, I look at my arm, and say thats a truck, he says no it looks just like a '67 GTO  :o now my buddies make that comment everytime I wear a sleeveless shirt   :slap:

Not best pic of it but will do as a reference

Current Mopars: 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins, 1970 Dodge D100

My old Build Thread: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,82511.0.html

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on July 31, 2011, 02:52:03 AM
My Charger is a 70 model, Flame Red in color. I have heard the General Lee comments, which I dont mind. I love that car and am a huge fan of the show. I have also heard the "Fast and Furious" references too. That doesn't bother me either. Truthfully, I get positive comments and always appreciate them.
Yeah, the comments ...." Nice car, but hows the mileage?" can be annoying, but when I say..." Right now I'm getting around 11, but I can also turn a high 11 second quarter mile with deeper gears."
A common question is...."Is that a 440 SIX PACK"? It seems that every guy that asks that had one back when they were new. I guess they only made 3 or 4 cars with a 4 barrel carburetor. ALL the rest were Six Pack cars.
I got asked yesteday if it has a six pack?  For a 69 it's an easy answer.  That's a 70 option.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

b5blue

I get the are ya painting it orange and getting a Dixie horn all the time with my 70. My standard answer now is: No this is a General Grant car...He kicked Lee's ASS!   :lol:  (AND yes it's a SIX PACK 440 and no you can't look under the hood!)

BigBlackDodge

I always get the 'Does it have a 383?" for some reason? :shruggy:

BBD

Darkman

Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

MaximRecoil

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on July 31, 2011, 02:52:03 AMA common question is...."Is that a 440 SIX PACK"? It seems that every guy that asks that had one back when they were new. I guess they only made 3 or 4 cars with a 4 barrel carburetor. ALL the rest were Six Pack cars.

LOL. I ran into a guy recently that said he had one "just like" mine but his was a 440 Six Pack.

lee2

hey sorry this one isnt a mopar but I was pulled over last year and the cop was walking up to my window and he radioed my car as a Charger. Its a 77 firebird. it says pontiac on my rear spoiler. lol it made me laugh.
Welcome to Hazzard County. They do things different here.

Kern Dog

The "jerk" in me REALLY wants to correct and educate people, but I'm always polite.  I like the attention most of the time.

ChgrSteve67

yep
hear this all of the time.

"I had one just like that but mine was a HEMI"

Of course everyone owned 1 of the 117 1967 HEMI Chargers built

Khyron

"I had me one of dem 440 hemis back in da day" *chuckle*

reply: diiiiiiiiiiid ya?

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

resq302

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on August 01, 2011, 11:32:17 AM
yep
hear this all of the time.

"I had one just like that but mine was a HEMI"

Of course everyone owned 1 of the 117 1967 HEMI Chargers built

Didn't you know that I owned 118 of them through out the years?  All different VINS too!   :smilielol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Finn

I had a counselor from Wyotech (car school) look at my 70 challenger and proclaim his dad had a 69 just like it.

They didn't make challengers in 69, but I held my tongue.   ::)
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

charge69

Maybe, a good thing you did, Finn. 1970 Challeys did come out in Sept., 1969 or, maybe a little earlier. ;D He was close, anyway! ;)

I remember seeing these cars new and it was 1969.

Finn

:o
Dang, slapped with the knowledge paddle again!  :icon_smile_big:
They never really referred to them as 69 challengers though, did they?
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

resq302

Quote from: Finn on August 01, 2011, 06:49:44 PM
:o
Dang, slapped with the knowledge paddle again!  :icon_smile_big:
They never really referred to them as 69 challengers though, did they?

Yeh, I got beat to it but the production model year started around Aug. 1 st of the preceding year.  Our 70 chally vert has a sched. production date of Sept. 28, 1969 which according to the calendar is a SUNDAY!   :lol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

resq302

The best one is "I had one EXACTLY like that!"  Oh yeh, red with a black and white interior?  "No, mine was tan with a black top and black interior."  Oh, so you had a 69 Charger but kinda like mine!   :lol: :slap:
Brian

Cooter

Also in the Charger, being that "Christine" came with the Fury 150 MPH Speedo, I get the inevidable "WOW! Says 150 on the speedo...This thing will fly!"

"With only 10LBS on each tire at 100 MPH, I doubt seriously I'd ever get past 100 MPH"...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

CrAzYMoPaRGuY

No sympathy for ANY of you!
:nana:

Try driving a Jensen Interceptor!!!!!!!
You couldn't make up dumber stuff than I have heard!!

charge69

My brother claims he buried the spedometer on a 1968 Plymouth Sport Fury (150mph speedometer) originally bought by my Mother with a 383 2bbl in it but, he put a 1968 or 1969 440 4 bbl in it when he bought it. This was when she got a newer Plymouth in around 1972. It originally had 2.76 gears in the rear on that old Sport Fury and he did not change them. He also claimed the only thing that ever beat him on a 30mph-roll start was a 455 Grand Prix of around the late-60's vintage also.

He might have actually got that thing above 150mph but I am glad I wasn't in the car!! :o

Finn, you are right about MOPAR not making the Chally before the 1970 model year. Just pulling your chain a little. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Brock Samson

just for yuks there's a couple topics concerning jensen interceptors from the years gone by, you might wanna do a search just to see...

Quote from: CrAzYMoPaRGuY on August 01, 2011, 07:11:36 PM
No sympathy for ANY of you!
:nana:

Try driving a Jensen Interceptor!!!!!!!
You couldn't make up dumber stuff than I have heard!!

GTXtreme

i had some guy on friday walk past my car and say "it cant be fast it doesnt even have a cage in it"  meanwhile it has a 512 in it