News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do I have a Car that really doesn't exist?

Started by Leonidas Rex, March 18, 2008, 11:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonidas Rex

My father and I were at a swap meet in last month and spied a 68 Plymouth Satellite in gray primer so we approached the owner. We looked at the car fairly well and come to find the body was very solid with new floor pans, a straight body ready for paint and what looked to be the original drive train. The guy wanted to sell quick and left us with the impression that he would deal. The turn-off about the car was that it was a small block and the trunk pans needed to be replaced. My dad figured it would be a good investment, something he could easily sell and get a little over what he paid for it. We did not check the VIN because we didn't really think seriously about it until after we left.

My father did end up buying it a week later for about $500 less than asking price. Upon reciept of the title, my father noticed that the VIN said this:

RH23P80XXXXXX

This is what has us confused. The VIN decoded as follows:

Plymouth Belvidere/Satellite
High
2 Door Hardtop
340 275HP 1-4BBL 8 cyl
Unknown (Assembly Plant)
XXXXXX (Sequence Number)

The "P" DESIGNATES A 340 ENGINE. This car has a 340 4 BBL engine in it but 340s were not available as an option in B Bodies in 1968 NOR WERE THEY STANDARD. According to the Plymouth Manual, it was not available in a B Body in 1968. The 340 was only available in 1968 valiants and barracudas. The VIN and title show the same numbers.

Can anyone shed any light on exactly what we may have here. How can a title and VIN show an "unknown" assembly plant?

My father is looking to sell this car but does not know how to price it. Any help would be appreciated.

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Orange_Crush

Take another look at your VIN.  a really GOOD look.  I'm willing to be that you are looking at an F and not a P.  You could not get a 340 in a B-body in...heck...I don't think you could EVER get a 340 in a B body.  The 318 (F) was the only LA engine you could get in a B-Body in 68. 

340s were only used in A bodies until 1970.
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

The70RT

You could get a 340 in a B body after 70. Brock Sampson has a 71 Road Runner all original with one in it.
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Leonidas Rex

The title and the VIN say "P". I will ask him to check the fender tag.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Leonidas Rex

I will do so as soon as he can get them to me. My father is not too computer saavy. At worst, I may have to do it when I get to his house this weekend for Easter.

Thank you for the responses.

Orange_Crush

Quote from: The70RT on March 18, 2008, 01:07:37 PM
You could get a 340 in a B body after 70. Brock Sampson has a 71 Road Runner all original with one in it.

Sorry, forgot about '71.  I was focusing on '68 to '70.  I should've said "you couldn't get a 340 in any of the B-bodies THAT MATTER ;D :nana:"
I ain't got time for pain, the only pain I got time for is the pain i put on fools how don't know what time it is.

Death1970Proof

Quote from: The70RT on March 18, 2008, 01:07:37 PM

Correct!! A bodies were available with the 340 from 1968 -1973 . B bodies got the 340 from 71-73 , E bodies from 1970-1973  :cheers:
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

Brock Samson

Yes, from what I've read the 340 into into the Bs was to combat raising Insurance rates on the big blocks,.. but not intill, 71...
  I'd be willing to bet you got an F cause sometimes those numbers were not punched too hard and aren't all that distinct...

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Orange_Crush on March 18, 2008, 01:03:38 PM
Take another look at your VIN.  a really GOOD look.  I'm willing to be that you are looking at an F and not a P.  You could not get a 340 in a B-body in...heck...I don't think you could EVER get a 340 in a B body.  The 318 (F) was the only LA engine you could get in a B-Body in 68. 

340s were only used in A bodies until 1970.

I think (not home to check) you could still get the 273 in a 68 Plymouth B body too....
Also, the 340 was not available in the Valiant; Barracuda only.
I'll also bet it is a "G" plant car. (It could only be A, E or G)

What's the actual VIN on the car? If it says "P" it's a plant typo. The tag won't tell you the VIN but it would confirm the engine size.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

rav440

check the block to see if the vin Sequence Number is stamed on it either in the back top of the motor or above on the rail of the oil pan on the passenger side of the block
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

rav440

1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

charger_mike75

This is just my  :Twocents: but I have been a subscriber of mopar muscle for alot of years and have seen some odd stuff grace the pages of that mag. Cars equipped with options that they should not have been. One car comes to mind of a superbird that had the wrong paint code stamped on the fender tag and was painted as such, got too far down the assembly line before it was caught so they had to put extra paint in the trunk before it went to creative industries. Another was a 71 super bee that was a pilot car, that was slated to be destroyed but somehow slipped through the doors with oddball options it was red with blue interior, had the top hi-po engine for that year with column shift auto. There are others, this could be something of the same nature. With Chrysler back then there were some odd stuff that came out from time to time.  :yesnod:

Ghoste

I think I'd still need more proof than the vin before getting too excited with this one though.

bull

Either way, 340s rock! I rode in a '69 Charger with a beefed up transplant 340 and it was scary fast.

Charger_Fan

Hey, it's after Easter...I wonder what happened? :popcrn:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

charger_mike75

The70RT

<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bordin34

Or his mod-top daytona or six-pack 71 charger.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

cpthowdy1369

DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!

68 RT

Could be a factory mistake. Typed wrong letter on tag.