News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to get more hp?

Started by Tarzan, March 17, 2008, 04:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarzan

How can I get more horsepowers in my 69 charger? 440 block and 727 tranny.

Blown70

Put a NOS kit on it.... you want simple and quick?

Blown70

Quote from: Tarzan on March 17, 2008, 05:02:28 PM
Other ways???? :)

Well I just gave you simple and quick.  I am sure you can do a lot.  Depends on what you want to do.  Best is to look at flow.  Meaning gases out and in.  Meaning headders, then mufflers, then intake and carb.

Then you can get into heads, cam, crank, etc.

What do you want to do?

charger2fast4u

i would upgrade to 2.5'' or 3'' with x pipe. TTI makes a great exhaust.  if your looking for more horsepower i wouldn't go with flowmaster's they rob you of horsepower they restrict flow i'd go with dynomax mufflers.

ryan053

post everything you know about the whole drive train.  Its hard to just blindly give suggestions.

mikesbbody

firefighter3931

Quote from: mikesbbody on March 18, 2008, 09:32:39 PM
ron, where are you?

I'm here....but like Ryan said ; we need more detailsto make a proper recommendation.  :scratchchin:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Power is made with cylinder head flow so you need to upgrade there if you want more power.....simple as that. A set of Edelbrock RPM 84 cc closed chamber heads would work perfect with your 10.25:1 compression. The cam in yours is an unknown at this point so it would be helpful if you could supply some specs or a part number  :yesnod: The intake manifold is fine but you need a better carburator....a holley or proform 750 double pumper would be my choice. The exhaust system needs to be upgraded to 2.5in pipes and a good muffler...stay away from Flowmaster because they are quite restrictive.

What is the stall speed of your converter ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

firefighter3931

Quote from: Tarzan on March 19, 2008, 07:55:16 AM

So I need to get new heads and maybe a new carburator then.

The heads and carb for sure....and possibly a better cam.  ;)

Use a strait thru muffler and 2.5in pipes. Dynomax "ultraflows" or a Magnaflow muffler is what i would use.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Tarzan

What kind of parts/brands should I buy to make some more HP???

I`ve got the Edelbrock 750 cfm carb (1407), and the Holley street dominator intake, 3" exhaust system,headers.

( 727 tranny, 8 3/4, 3:54)

What more can I do WITHOUT stroking the engine???

Heads?
Cam?

But which parts?

I got this from a friend of mine, see page 3.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/ccrp_0611_performance_engine_combinations/index.html

Blakcharger440

Quote from: charger2fast4u on March 18, 2008, 05:12:13 PM
i would upgrade to 2.5'' or 3'' with x pipe. TTI makes a great exhaust.  if your looking for more horsepower i wouldn't go with flowmaster's they rob you of horsepower they restrict flow i'd go with dynomax mufflers.

Since where and when was this scientifically tested? I am not a flowmaster salesman or anything like that, but I doubt that you would see any big differences between the dynomaxes or flowmasters.  :shruggy:
Just make sure the pipe routing has the least amount of bends and kinks as possible.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Blakcharger440 on May 12, 2008, 03:27:49 PM
Since where and when was this scientifically tested? I am not a flowmaster salesman or anything like that, but I doubt that you would see any big differences between the dynomaxes or flowmasters.  :shruggy:

You haven't been to the track much have you ?  ;) Most cars that run Flowbastards pick up significantly when dropping them....the same can't be said of a true flo-thru muffler. I've seen it personally numerous times. My buddy with the Blown 440 goes 3 tenths faster without those junk mufflers. Another member here went 7 tenths faster after dropping them.

And the kicker ; i guy i know runs 10.50's on open headers and just as fast with a 3in x-pipe, ultraflows and tailpipes. His car actually 60 fts better with the full exhaust system on vs the open headers. This is a 630hp stroker build that runs on pump gas BTW.  :2thumbs:

Hey, run them if you want but there's NO denying that they will cost you some power....period !

Ron

Blakcharger440

Quote from: firefighter3931 on May 12, 2008, 06:05:47 PM
Quote from: Blakcharger440 on May 12, 2008, 03:27:49 PM

You haven't been to the track much have you ?  ;) Most cars that run Flowbastards pick up significantly when dropping them....the same can't be said of a true flo-thru muffler. I've seen it personally numerous times. My buddy with the Blown 440 goes 3 tenths faster without those junk mufflers. Another member here went 7 tenths faster after dropping them.

And the kicker ; i guy i know runs 10.50's on open headers and just as fast with a 3in x-pipe, ultraflows and tailpipes. His car actually 60 fts better with the full exhaust system on vs the open headers. This is a 630hp stroker build that runs on pump gas BTW.  :2thumbs:

Hey, run them if you want but there's NO denying that they will cost you some power....period !

Ron

I think any muffler will cost some power at the strip whether they are dynomax or flowmaster as the open system would  be better at his power level than either muffler. I was just saying I dont think you would see a dramatic difference. Nothing personal for or against dynomax,ultraflows or flowmasters.

Mike DC

Probably the best bang-for-the-buck would be to get some aftermarket aluminum cylinder heads.  (Eddy, Indy, the new Stealth ones, etc)

The 383 and the 440 motors came from the factory with the same cylinder heads.  And everybody knows the 383s were awesome motors for their size.  They made damn near as much power as the 440s did despite having 57 fewer inches to work with.  The reason is because the proportions between the cubic inches and the size of the heads were better on the smaller-inch 383.

So, by sticking bigger heads on a mild 440, you're basically pushing it closer to the 383's great displacement/head size ratio.  Decent power gains and essentially no side effects.  (At least, no side effects until the heads get WAY bigger, anyway.)

firefighter3931

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 13, 2008, 05:43:35 AM

Probably the best bang-for-the-buck would be to get some aftermarket aluminum cylinder heads.  (Eddy, Indy, the new Stealth ones, etc)

The 383 and the 440 motors came from the factory with the same cylinder heads.  And everybody knows the 383s were awesome motors for their size.  They made damn near as much power as the 440s did despite having 57 fewer inches to work with.  The reason is because the proportions between the cubic inches and the size of the heads were better on the smaller-inch 383.

So, by sticking bigger heads on a mild 440, you're basically pushing it closer to the 383's great displacement/head size ratio.  Decent power gains and essentially no side effects.  (At least, no side effects until the heads get WAY bigger, anyway.)

:iagree: A set of good flowing heads and the right cam will really wake your motor up  :2thumbs:

Here's Vegas Mike's 440 build complete with dyno numbers :

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,6000.0.html

Ron

Tarzan

So this is the cam I should buy? The same as vegas did?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA%2D21%2D232%2D4&autoview=sku

Seems like some of you guys like Eddy heads, but we dont have that here in Norway?

Is there anything else that you can recommend?

One bad thing about Norway, is that you can not get that much good help and advice as you can in the states.
(Thats why im asking lots of questions)

I want to reach 450-500 hp.

Do I need to change the edelbrock 750 cfm (1407) and the Holley street dominator intake or do they fit the engine good?

terrible one

I don't think you should get 3" exhaust. 2.5" would be a better bet.

Challenger340

Yes Tarzan, that is a good camshaft.

If not using EDDY's, then at least use big Valves, 2.14/1.81, and do a bowl port.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Tarzan

Can I get the EDDY`S at summit???

Do you have any other good brands that I could check out? As I said earlier, here in Norway its not that much help to get as in the states, so im glad for
all the help I can get.

Blown70

Quote from: Tarzan on May 14, 2008, 10:18:31 AM
Can I get the EDDY`S at summit???

Do you have any other good brands that I could check out? As I said earlier, here in Norway its not that much help to get as in the states, so im glad for
all the help I can get.

Pretty sure you can.

Tarzan

I can`t seem to find the heads on summit. Are you sure that they have them?

What parts do you guys recommend to get around 450-500 hp.

And will the edebrock 750 cfm (1407) carb and my holley street dominator intake work or should I get something else?

Blown70

firefighter3931

Tarzan, the xs282s is a solid cam so you will need adjustable rockers to use it. It is a great cam for a hot street 440 with good flowing heads like the edelbrock rpm's. If you go with the edelbrocks use the closed chamber 84cc heads...not the 88cc open chamber.

I would be looking at a better carb as well. The Proform 750cfm would be my choice.  :2thumbs:

Ron

Tarzan

Is it very hard to install the heads? I have never done it before.

Would you buy EDDY heads or does the edelbrock work as good as EDDY?

Then there the cam, I have a MOPAR "PURPLE CAM" but thats all I know. What kind of cam should I get?

Blown70

Eddy is short for EDELBROCK..... :2thumbs: