News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

new brake swap kit from ECI

Started by HeavyFuel, March 04, 2008, 02:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeavyFuel

Engineered Components has a new kit out that uses the factory disk brake spindles.

For $600.00 you get new rotors, hubs, NEW calipers, bearings, dust covers, adapter brakets, etc....but can use the factory disk spindles.  Works for me.  I couldn't understand why it took so long for someone to come up with a simple solution for cars that had factory disks, but wanted to upgrade with more modern components.  I ordered mine today.

I'm crossing my fingers that the stock Magnum 500s will clear everything on the new set up, but I think they should, since the old caliper setup was a behemoth.

69chargerboy

Give us some feedback on how well the brakes fit. I'm curious!  :yesnod: ;D :popcrn: :icon_smile_cool: :2thumbs: :cheers:
My MoPar Family:

1968 Chrysler 300 
1968 Coronet 440 4-Dr                                                              
1968 Coronet 440                                       
1969 Charger                                       
1973 Charger SE 
1988 Dodge Custom 150 Pickup

HeavyFuel

It turns out that the kit's center hub is made bigger than the factory Magnums and steel wheels.  If you want to use this kit, you'll also need to plan on changing out your factory wheels to something aftermarket with a diameter of 2.775". 

So what I thought was a good deal to use the factory disk spindles and an upgraded disk kit, turns out to be a hose, because I can't use my original magnums, which are good. 

So I'll have to go with Torque Thrusts or something like that. Crap.

Or beg the company to take the kit back, pay for shipping again, and a 20% restock charge.  Double crap.

Musicman

I have the ECI kit on my car... No 14" Magnum 500's will not work... the inner diameter of the Magnum rim will not support an 11" rotor assembly... the caliper will hit. Many 14" rims do work, but the stock 500 is not one of them.... furthermore, they tell you on their site that the stock 500's will not work.
I have 15" Cragars on mine.
Personally, I found it to be a great kitĀ  :2thumbs: What I liked most about the kit was the fact that most of the parts are regular over the counter items, not custom made parts like most kits.

BrianShaughnessy

GM calipers,  custom brackets,  probably redrilled GM rotors.    Looks like a take off on Scarebird stuff.    Have fun.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Musicman

Yup... Mopar bearings, GM Calipers Hoses & Pads, 79-81 Rear Trans-Am Rotors drilled for both 4-3/4 & 4-1/2. It may not satisfy the "trend mongers", but at least I won't be searching for replacement parts in the future. The adapter is custom and extremely well machined, but the rest of the stuff can be picked up at any auto parts store. The only thing I did different with mine, was replace the stock wheel studs with 3" studs to accomodate a race style hub.

Oh Yeah... they work great by the way, ThanksĀ  :cheers:

tommymac

What else do you have to change,or add to the car,Propitional valve ect, do all bolts come with it?

Musicman

Quote from: tommymac on March 09, 2008, 03:19:43 PM
What else do you have to change,or add to the car,Proportioning valve ect, do all bolts come with it?

Actually, that's one more reason that I chose the ECI kit... you don't HAVE to buy everything from them if you don't want to. They offer you the basic kit, and give you the option to add on from there. For many people, buying the other associated components directly through them may save some money. In my particular case however, it was just as cheap or cheaper in some cases to buy the other required parts locally, or elsewhere on-line, so I just started with their basic kit. My car had an old Drum/Drum system which was nothing more than 4 drums, a power master and a hydraulic switch, so I needed everything except a power booster. I picked up a new Disc/Drum master at the local auto parts store for $20. I also got a Combination Valve (Metering vlv, Hyd Switch, Prop vlv.) locally, and I ordered a 10 psi Residual valve from an on-line distributor.
... and Yes, the ECI kit came with all the necessary hardware. Brake hoses are not part of the basic kit however, but they threw them in for free when I ordered my kit.
If your thinking about changing over, my advice to you would be to look around at what different companies have to offer. This particular market is getting bigger and better all the time, with more and more options becoming available each year. Some of them are just out & out crap too however, so look around and decide what is best for you. It doesn't hurt to ask for other peoples opinions about a particular product either as long as you remember that these are just opinions and not necessarily the facts. The ECI kit fit into my plan perfectly, but there are plenty of manufactures out there to choose from. The most important thing to do is to educate yourself concerning brakes systems and components before you order anything... and when you do decide to order, make sure you call the company first and discuss your plans with a real person. They may have some good information for you that you were not aware of... like, sorry but the original stock 14" Magnum 500's won't work.

HeavyFuel

The recent issue of Mopar Collectors Guide has the ad for ECI, with nothing mentioned about the stock Magnums not fitting.  My bad, I didn't ask, and the saleperson didn't offer the information. :shruggy:

Musicman, Good info, and I'm glad the kit is good, because I will probably keep it if I ever decide to go with an aftermarket wheel, which is a good bet, since it is becoming a major PITA to get the original calipers rebuilt.