News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

For my 3rd gen brethren...KWS's 1972 Charger!

Started by Ponch ®, March 17, 2008, 10:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

73chgrSE

what exactly is this infamous "window plug thing"? just the glass? doesn't that roll down? it did on my other 73, don't know about 72s though.

bordin34

If you look here you can see it. The quarter glass is the same size but there is a fiberglass or plastic plug that makes the rear part of the window not visible. I personally like how the plug looks on his.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

KWS

Quote from: MoParMetal on March 22, 2008, 04:27:36 PM
hey KWS those are the billet chrysler rallyes correct?

Not sure what you mean. If you're asking of the car originally came with ralleys, the answer is I don't know... I haven't taken the time to research the original details of the car. I know it was a 400 block car with a non-original block. Nothing about the car was original when we got it really, except a few things. The car had been set up for drag racing, nothing serious, just looked like someone's weekend racer.

Quote from: bordin34 on March 22, 2008, 07:26:39 PM
Sinister looking Charger. It looks like it need something though, to accent it maybe wheel lip mouldings.  :2thumbs:

Thanks! The idea behind the car was to have as little chrome or anything polished as possible. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's really what helps make this car looks so sinister. I just wanted a few little items to break it up a little bit... that's all.

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 22, 2008, 07:33:47 PM
KWS, loose that se window plug. It will look better !!

I like the plug. I like what it does to the look of the car.

Charger1973

Quote from: 73chgrSE on March 22, 2008, 08:18:48 PM
what exactly is this infamous "window plug thing"? just the glass? doesn't that roll down? it did on my other 73, don't know about 72s though.

Same concept as the 73-74 SE vs Hardtop.  Your car also has a "plug" that you could remove to reveal the original roofline. 

MoParMetal

Quote from: KWS on March 22, 2008, 08:27:06 PM

Not sure what you mean. If you're asking of the car originally came with ralleys, the answer is I don't know... I haven't taken the time to research the original details of the car. I know it was a 400 block car with a non-original block. Nothing about the car was original when we got it really, except a few things. The car had been set up for drag racing, nothing serious, just looked like someone's weekend racer.

sorry if i confused you. i just wanted to know what wheels you have on the 72. they look like the billet chrysler rally wheels that Wheel Vintiques sell. i cant really tell.
looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

KWS

Quote from: MoParMetal on March 22, 2008, 10:09:21 PM
Quote from: KWS on March 22, 2008, 08:27:06 PM

sorry if i confused you. i just wanted to know what wheels you have on the 72. they look like the billet chrysler rally wheels that Wheel Vintiques sell. i cant really tell.

Oh! sorry, maybe i read your post wrong. These are the Foose Challenger wheels without the rivets.

pettyfan43

Hey Kenny, I'm a huge fan and I LOVE your taste in cars!!!!!

That 72 is a KILLER car.

pettyfan43

Quote from: KWS on March 22, 2008, 12:10:39 PM
Quote from: RD on March 21, 2008, 10:21:10 PM
Kenny,

Car looks awesome, I love the big rims, the rake, and the fact that you dared to be different by using the 72 SE (the most underrated SE IMO).

Glad to see you venture into the 3rd gen realm with a real knockout.  And that goes from one 72 owner to the next.

RD

Thanks a lot! The rake is going to change a bit... :'( The front end has to come up a bit for clearance, but it will still look mean! I'm also mocking up a chin spoiler on it today to see if I like it on there or not.
[
quote author=Ghoste link=topic=41473.msg458934#msg458934 date=1206162133]
So when are you gonna do a fastback Kenny?  (may as well cover the first three generations)

Hmmm... maybe I will.

Quote from: T16 on March 22, 2008, 04:30:44 AM
Wow.. Me like alot  :2thumbs:

Meanest 72SE i´ve ever seen :drool5:

Thanks!

Quote from: 1968 Charger B5 on March 22, 2008, 11:47:41 AM
any interior shots...?

I'll post some as soon as we get it done 100%

Hey Kenny, there is a pretty decent 66 not far at all from me, I can send you some pics if you want me to.
I 'll give you the guys contact info as well.

pettyfan43

Quote from: KWS on March 21, 2008, 10:30:53 AM
Quote from: BROCK on March 21, 2008, 12:19:55 AM
I'll take a pic tomorrow Kenny.  Off the top of my head, though;  I believe that upper side glass weatherstrip
is the same for all 71 & 72 Chargers - just like Nacho said.  It is afterall the same quarter glass.

Pic tomorrow....

Let me know what you find out, I have the one's for a regular 71-72... my guys didn't try them because they say on the package "will not fit SE's" Every web site I can find that sells the weatherstripping says the same thing.

Thanks!

The S/E weatherstrip deal is just lfor the 73-74s with the louvered side windows. Those ARE actually being repopped now. But your car uses the standard weatherstrip.

Moparman01

Hey Kenny, long time fan here ever since then first time i heard "Last Goodbye", love that song!! You're a killer guitarst man, bein a guitar player myslef you're one of my heros!! Just wanted to say you're cars look awesome, all of them!! Any chance maybe we'll get to see ya in Carlisle for the Chrylser Nationals one of these years?? Rock on man, can't wait to see what you have in mind next!   

ACUDANUT

Kenny I love your 72.  I grew up with a 72 Rallye and always loved the look.  When I went in search of another, I Ran across a 72 SE that was stripped of everything.  I just removed the plug for my own taste and my long lost love of that old car I had.  Keep up the great work.  BTW I love your updated General lee. I heard you had some Hemi engine problems ???  What was up with that ?

KWS

Quote from: ACUDANUT on March 23, 2008, 08:42:40 PM
Kenny I love your 72.  I grew up with a 72 Rallye and always loved the look.  When I went in search of another, I Ran across a 72 SE that was stripped of everything.  I just removed the plug for my own taste and my long lost love of that old car I had.  Keep up the great work.  BTW I love your updated General lee. I heard you had some Hemi engine problems ???  What was up with that ?

No, I never had any HEMI engine problems. This is actually the first vintage Mopar that I've built with a HEMI, and it's a new gen HEMI at that. The Xtreme Lee has a stroked 400 block. It was stroked to 500" which resulted in 585hp and 600tq. That car is on it's 3rd engine. The first one got burnt up. I was told it was do to improper tuning to the fuel injection system. The second engine was identical and had a problem with the cam but we swapped to a carb to eliminate any potential problems with EFI. The third engine so far is doing fine and still has a carb on it.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Charger1973 on March 22, 2008, 08:27:07 PM

Same concept as the 73-74 SE vs Hardtop.  Your car also has a "plug" that you could remove to reveal the original roofline. 

So could take my louvered 74 SE and convert it to a regular window (like the one in your sig)? Is it more work than it's worth?  cuz truth be told, I don't really like my louvered windows.

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

Ghoste

Kenny, I would think your schedule wouldn't allow a whole lot of time to enjoy these cars?  Do you plan to hit any of the bigger shows with them outside of SEMA?

Charger74

Quote from: Ponch ® on March 24, 2008, 10:55:24 AM

So could take my louvered 74 SE and convert it to a regular window (like the one in your sig)? Is it more work than it's worth?  cuz truth be told, I don't really like my louvered windows.

Yes you can Ponch, but the biggest problem is getting everything you will need to remove the plug and set it up for the regular window.  Hardest part will be the trim pieces.

Ponch ®

Quote from: Charger74 on March 24, 2008, 11:14:55 AM
Quote from: Ponch ® on March 24, 2008, 10:55:24 AM

Yes you can Ponch, but the biggest problem is getting everything you will need to remove the plug and set it up for the regular window.  Hardest part will be the trim pieces.

hmmm....i'll add that to my list of things to do to it at some point, but i guess it'll be far down the line. Right now my priority is to get it running (which we almost did on Saturday, but we suspect a faulty fuel pump is holding it up).

Anyway..thread hijack over (for now).  :D
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Brock Samson

Kenny:
Just a thought, but maybe you could start a new post or add a bunch'a of pictures of your cars including the Duster... we never really got good shots of that one,.. and I'm sure you have a bunch of pics of your rides you could post because i bet most folks here would like to see them.. Your third Gen...  it gotta name?.. it deserves a decent photo shoot... it's much harder to make out being all dechromed and all...
and,..  on a side note I'd sure be interested in an off topic post about your guitar gear,.. what you use on the road, your favorite axes and the like, cause there are a large number of members of this board who play, both as a hobby and semi-pro... I've been out of the scean for nearly nine years myself, but i just got two upcomming gigs... BTW: what do you think of Diesel Amps?..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zEXsa-2fv8k  last goodbye... Kenny Wayne Shepard...

Charger1973

Yeah Ponch you can take your car back to the original roofline, its not really hard, you just need to hunt down a few parts from a hardtop.  Anyway you can do a search (I know its been discussed before) or start a new thread when you get ready and im sure we can help you figure out what you need to change it over.

Nacho-RT74

the hardest part is the body job to elarge the drip rail, and then make a good U cut on jam after cut the B pillar to be ablew to roll down the window. Then get a complete setup froma donor. I would sell the SE and get the right deal
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

mikesbbody

ponch, dont know if the 73/74 is the same deal as the 72's but for the 72's as mentioned you need a extension for the drip rail which you weld on. (could get this from a donor car) then you need the longer piece of stainless trim, of course you need a interior sail panel. I know with the 72's that pug comes out I know a guy that did it. You have to way it up if its worthwhile hijack over  :lol:

KWS

Or you could do like I did and get rid of the drip rail completely!

autodynamics

say no to drip rails.......cut em off........!!

BROCK

=============================================
Let your music be in transit to the world

MoParMetal

looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

Ponch ®

Quote from: KWS on March 24, 2008, 09:30:57 PM
Or you could do like I did and get rid of the drip rail completely!

dumb question...but are the drip rails the trim around the window? If so, i can live without them.

I don't know...if I can ever get my car to look the way I want it (at which point I will claim the title of baddest 3rd gen ever from you - just a heads up  :D), the louvers will give it a certain evil look. Good thing I have a looong time to try to make up my mind about it.

My Charger,  $15K or so from now:

Thanks to ds for the badass photoshop!