News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

So can you get a 275/60/15 tire and wheel in the trunk?

Started by Daytona R/T SE, March 16, 2008, 11:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona R/T SE

So, can you get a 275/60/15 on an 8 inch rim into the trunk of a C500/Daytona ? I mean past the taillight cover and into position and wing-nutted down on the spare tire mount?  :shruggy:

daytonalo

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: daytonalo on March 16, 2008, 11:21:33 PM
You work fast , I'm still working on my car !!

Just trying to plan ahead,  Cupcake   ;)

Now, seriously - back to the question at hand...

Howie

I never thought about that. It is a tight squeeze :yesnod:. I remember that from when I had a 69 c500.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I know I could barely get a 235/60/15 to sit under the ledge & bolt down in my trunk....it would physically "fit" into the trunk opening with no problem on my R/T though...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

TomP

I think his point is that a Daytona / C500 has a smaller trunk lid.
'70 Charger R/T Clone - FE5/V1W 451/727/Dana/4 wheel disc brakes/AC (Under Restification)
'70 Challenger - FM3/V1W 440/727/8.75/4 wheel disc brakes (Under Restification)
'74 Duster - FM3/V1W 225/904/7.25 Disc/Drum
'93 RAM D250 - 5.9L/A518/9.25 (Old Sacto Cop Truck)
'94 BMW 740iL

Yes, I'm a Dodge Boy.  Verstehen?

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 16, 2008, 11:16:34 PM
So, can you get a 275/60/15 on an 8 inch rim into the trunk of a C500/Daytona ? I mean past the taillight cover and into position and wing-nutted down on the spare tire mount?  :shruggy:
if its just the spare  why do you need it to be that big ?  Hopefully you will never have to use it and if you do have to not for long .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on March 17, 2008, 07:14:00 AM
I know I could barely get a 235/60/15 to sit under the ledge & bolt down in my trunk....it would physically "fit" into the trunk opening with no problem on my R/T though...

Thr trunk is the same size, it's just that smaller trunk opening on the 500/daytonas that creates the problem.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

471_Magnum

275-60-15 barely fits in standard Charger trunk opening. Certainly won't fit under the package tray as previously stated.

Quote from: moparstuart on March 17, 2008, 09:24:52 AM
if its just the spare why do you need it to be that big ? Hopefully you will never have to use it and if you do have to not for long .

Umm... it's the flat you pull off you have to worry about.

You could always put a spare tire mount on the wing upright like an old Jeep CJ!

"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

moparstuart

Quote from: 471_Magnum on March 17, 2008, 12:09:53 PM
275-60-15 barely fits in standard Charger trunk opening. Certainly won't fit under the package tray as previously stated.

if its just the spare why do you need it to be that big ? Hopefully you will never have to use it and if you do have to not for long .

Umm... it's the flat you pull off you have to worry about.

You could always put a spare tire mount on the wing upright like an old Jeep CJ!

swing away spare on the wing   :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

hemi68charger

I have put 255/60/15's in my C500 and it's a royal pain... 275's,,, you'll be  :rant:

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hotrod98

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 17, 2008, 01:44:37 PM
I have put 255/60/15's in my C500 and it's a royal pain... 275's,,, you'll be  :rant:

I always listen to the guy that has been there and done that. :2thumbs:

Charles Addams

69_500

I don't think a 275 would fit. I could be wrong, but I had a hard time putting a 245/60 in the truck opening. Only did that one, now the spare is a 235/60 which doesn't go in a whole heck of a lot easier, but I don't intend on taking it in and out very often.

Daytona R/T SE

if its just the spare  why do you need it to be that big ?  Hopefully you will never have to use it and if you do have to not for long .

I really don't want to leave a shiney, new magnum 500 along side the highway just 'cause she got a nail in her  ;)

Daytona R/T SE

The voice of experience-That's what I needed :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 17, 2008, 02:48:31 PM

I always listen to the guy that has been there and done that. :2thumbs:

:2thumbs:

Daytona R/T SE

I've got a pair of 275's on the back of my 72 Charger. I think once I get the Daytona down off the jackstands, I'll go jack up the 72, pull a wheel, put the old beat-up plastic taillight cover on the Daytona, and try to physically ram the 275 in there...

I'm thinking maybe a hinged tilt-down taillight panel... :hack: :whistling:

hemigeno

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 17, 2008, 05:29:37 PM
I've got a pair of 275's on the back of my 72 Charger. I think once I get the Daytona down off the jackstands, I'll go jack up the 72, pull a wheel, put the old beat-up plastic taillight cover on the Daytona, and try to physically ram the 275 in there...

Or just keep the whole Vega hatchback theme going and put the hinges on TOP of the window plug   :scratchchin:  You'd be about the only Aero Dodge owner that could actually use their trunk!   :2thumbs:

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hemigeno on March 17, 2008, 05:51:31 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 17, 2008, 05:29:37 PM

Or just keep the whole Vega hatchback theme going and put the hinges on TOP of the window plug   :scratchchin:

Now you're thinkin'   ;)

hotrod98

While installing Howie's veg plug, I actually wondered how hard it would be to build a frame and have the whole thing lift up like a liftgate.
Two drinks later and I had forgootten the whole idea altogether.  ::)

Charles Addams

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 17, 2008, 05:16:16 PM

I really don't want to leave a shiney, new magnum 500 along side the highway just 'cause she got a nail in her  ;)
once its flat it will fit be :smilielol: :smilielol:tter

hemi68charger

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 17, 2008, 05:18:41 PM

The voice of experience-That's what I needed :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

Glad to help.. If you have any friend's with one, I would try it so you can see for yourself.......... The trunk is VERY inadequate.. But, I don't think MaMopar cared at the time.......

Troy
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

pettybird

i think we've got a 275 in the marty robbins car...  it has 275's all around.  i'll go check today.

Rolling_Thunder

why not just deflate it to get it in then reinflate it once it is mounted ?     :rofl:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

hemi68charger

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on March 19, 2008, 01:21:09 PM
why not just deflate it to get it in then reinflate it once it is mounted ?     :rofl:

Ahh,, the ole' building a ship in the bottle trick.............
Troy

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 17, 2008, 05:16:16 PM

Why don't you just put it in the passenger seat if need be?  Carry a tarp in the trunk if you're worried about getting the interior dirty.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

daytonalo

Install roof rack , I can see it now , one of one , Daytona roof rack sunroof  :icon_smile_big:

hemi68charger

Why not shorten a factory luggage rack, mount it to the deck lid and then strap the tire to it...........  Just a thought........... And NO, I'm not going to try it on Dana......... 

Troy
Troy

Daytona R/T SE

Why don't you just put it in the passenger seat if need be?  Carry a tarp in the trunk if you're worried about getting the interior dirty.

BRILLIANT! Then I could put the wife and anybody else riding with me in the trunk, or strap them across the hood like a dead dear!

moparstuart

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 19, 2008, 11:04:28 PM

BRILLIANT! Then I could put the wife and anybody else riding with me in the trunk, or strap them across the hood like a dead dear!
I like the dead deer idea ,  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

69_500

I've often wondered if you could use a luggage rack from an E body on the shortened deck lid of the 500's and Daytona's. I don't think it would fit though, might be too wide.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on March 20, 2008, 05:25:42 PM
I've often wondered if you could use a luggage rack from an E body on the shortened deck lid of the 500's and Daytona's. I don't think it would fit though, might be too wide.
wings and luggage racks  dont mix

pettybird

a 275/60 on a cop car rim fits in the trunk.  marty's currently holding one.

i bought a tire at PE at the charlotte WW meet and i'm not sure if there was an attendee who DIDN'T suggest that i crack open the wing and use it for a tire rack...

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: pettybird on March 22, 2008, 05:04:33 PM

i bought a tire at PE at the charlotte WW meet and i'm not sure if there was an attendee who DIDN'T suggest that i crack open the wing and use it for a tire rack...

Thanks for the info...How about posting a bunch of pics of that Marty Robbins car with the 275's all the way around  :coolgleamA:

daytonalo

Fitz73Chrgr

Wow. ok...
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

daytonalo

moparstuart

i'm sure someone did seeing as you had a full  car and was still stuffing the big tire in it

Highbanked Hauler

275-60 on cop car wheels is definitely doable as that is what I used to have.  275-60 on a 10" wide stock car wheel  ain't happening. You might put one in that is flat but inflated, no way.Been there done that.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

moparstuart

daytonalo

WTF ???????????????????????????? :icon_smile_big:

pettybird

HA thanks Troy!  Pics to add to the collection!

Larry, Mike Svec built a '69 charger for his wife.  She wanted it pink, so he found a CLEAN NC body, and painted it pink everywhere.  Like, rotisserie everywhere.  About the time the paint was done, she lost interest in it...Mike was stuck with a pink charger.  One of his buddies showed him the 1:43 scale car of the Marty Robbins-driven Daytona.  Turns out Mike had a number of Daytona pieces collected over the years, and the idea was put into motion.  The car was truly in its element flanked by Glen Peters' 43 'bird and Dan Gaddis' Issac Daytona at meets.

OK Stewart JUST BECAUSE we abandoned our cooler in the hotel parking lot so that I could bring home the second NASCAR wheel, and tire, and fender section, and 40 lugnuts, and, and, and doesn't mean i bought too much in Charlotte   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on March 26, 2008, 11:20:53 AM
HA thanks Troy!  Pics to add to the collection!

Larry, Mike Svec built a '69 charger for his wife.  She wanted it pink, so he found a CLEAN NC body, and painted it pink everywhere.  Like, rotisserie everywhere.  About the time the paint was done, she lost interest in it...Mike was stuck with a pink charger.  One of his buddies showed him the 1:43 scale car of the Marty Robbins-driven Daytona.  Turns out Mike had a number of Daytona pieces collected over the years, and the idea was put into motion.  The car was truly in its element flanked by Glen Peters' 43 'bird and Dan Gaddis' Issac Daytona at meets.

OK Stewart JUST BECAUSE we abandoned our cooler in the hotel parking lot so that I could bring home the second NASCAR wheel, and tire, and fender section, and 40 lugnuts, and, and, and doesn't mean i bought too much in Charlotte   :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
I would have done the same brother ! 

66chargerkid

moparstuart

Quote from: 66chargerkid on April 02, 2008, 02:49:24 PM
except leaving a cooler he woulda left a kid
  yes and your the biggest so guess you would get left , maybe doug would have taken you home with him ?

PocketThunder

:rofl:   :rofl:   :rofl:   i just saw this.   :smilielol:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on April 02, 2008, 03:04:30 PM
yes and your the biggest so guess you would get left , maybe doug would have taken you home with him ?

and leave my tire and wheels there?  YEAH RIGHT.

besides, then he'd be bugging US to drive OUR cars instead of bugging YOU to drive YOURS.

moparstuart

Quote from: pettybird on April 02, 2008, 09:52:30 PM

besides, then he'd be bugging US to drive OUR cars instead of bugging YOU to drive YOURS.
yeah I know him driving your cars is a much better plan !

pettybird

Quote from: moparstuart on April 03, 2008, 10:17:54 AM
Quote from: pettybird on April 02, 2008, 09:52:30 PM

yeah I know him driving your cars is a much better plan ! **

**YMMV

Magnumcharger

"Marty began driving late model stock cars in 1965 and continued until the month before his death. The following is a list of some of the races he competed in and how he finished."

June 5, 1965
Late model modified race 1962 Plymouth

July 20, 1966
Nashville, TN 1964 Ford #53
Started 17th, finished 25th

1968 Paul Revere 250
Daytona Beach, FL Only completed three laps due to a blown fuse.

Briston, TN Didn't finish due to blown engine.

August 17, 1968 Skyland 200
Weaverville Speedway 1966 Dodge

October 12, 1968
Charlotte, NC 250 mile Grand Touring Race

October 13, 1968 National 500
Charlotte, NC 1967 Dodge Charger
Started 22nd, finished 12th

July 3, 1970 Paul Revere 250
Daytona Beach, FL (Grand Marshall)

July 4, 1970 Firecracker 400
Daytona Beach, FL (Grand Marshall)

October 11, 1970 National 500
Charlotte, NC 1969 Dodge #42
Started 33rd, finished 32nd

May 7, 1971 Grand American 100 Lap Race
Nashville, TN drove Camaro

May 22,1971
Nashville Speedway 1967 Dodge Charger

May 30, 1971 World 600
Charlotte, NC 1969 Dodge #42, owned by Bobby Allison
Started 19th, finished 15th

June 19, 1971 Union 76 200
Nashville Speedway

July 4, 1971 Firecracker 400
Daytona Beach, FL Dodge Charger (wreck)

August 1, 1971 Dixie 500
Atlanta, GA 1969 Dodge #42
Started 17th, finished 13th

September 6, 1971 Southern 500
Darlington, SC 1969 Dodge #42
Started 18th, finished 7th
(named "Rookie of the Race")

October 10, 1971 National 500
Charlotte, NC 1969 Dodge #42
Started 15th, finished 37th

December 12, 1971 Texas 500
1971 Dodge #42 owned by Bobby Allison
Started 20th, finished 25th

March 5, 1972 Miller High Life 500
Ontario, CA 1972 Dodge #42
Started 22nd, finished 8th
(named "Sportsman of the Race")

May 7, 1972 Winston 500
Talladega, AL 1972 Dodge #42
Started 9, Finished 18th but disqualified himself for running the last 100 miles without carburetor restrictor plates. Marty also refused to accept the "Rookie of the Race" award, the money for an 18th place finish, or the Grand National Driver points. Marty was given $745 for a 50th place finish, and fined $250 by NASCAR. Lee Roy Yarbrough was given the "Rookie of the Year" award.

June 25, 1972 Lone Star 500
Byan, TX 1972 Dodge #42
Started 10th, finished 40th

September 4, 1972 Southern 500
1971 Dodge #42
Started 21st, finished 9th

October 22, 1972 American 500
1972 Dodge #42
Started 34th, finished 26th

February 18, 1973 Daytona 500
Daytona Beach, FL 1972 Dodge #42
Started 37th, finished 34th

June 10, 1973 Alamo 500
1973 Dodge Charger #42
Started 10th, finished 29th

July 4, 1973 Firecracker 400
1973 Dodge Charger #42
Started 36th, finished 8th

August 12, 1973 Talladega 500
1973 Dodge Charger #42
Started 10th, finished 36th

August 25, 1973 Nashville 420

Septembe 1973 Mid-America Stock Car Racing Assn. 300
1-70 Speedway, Kansas City, MO

May 4, 1974 Winston 500
1973 Dodge Charger #42
Started 15th, finished 15th

June 16, 1974 Motorstate 400
1974 Dodge #42
Started 22, finished 5th

July 20, 1974
Nashville Speedway, "Marty Robbins Appreciation Night"

August 11, 1974 Talladega 500
1973 Dodge #42
Started 16th, finished 9th

October 6, 1974 National 500
Charlotte, NC 1974 Dodge #42
Started 42nd, finished 42nd
Trying to avoid hitting stalled cars, Marty hit the wall at 160 mph. Marty's injuries resulted in 37 stitches on his face, two broken ribs and broken tailbone.

February 16, 1975 Daytona 500
1974 Dodge #42
Started 28th, finished 39th (wreck)

May 5, 1975 Winston 500
1974 Dodge #42
Started 17, finished 31
After a wreck that resulted in a ruptured gas tank and a fire, Marty said he was going to retire from racing.

February 1976 Daytona 500
(Commentator for radio broadcast)

May 30, 1976 Indianapolis 500
(Marty drove the pace car)

October 15-17, 1976 World Cup 400
1-70 Speedway, Odessa, MO
Drove Freddy Fryar's Chevy Nova

June 9, 1977 CAM 2 Motor Oil 400
Michigan 1974 Dodge #42
Started 33rd, finished 13th

August 7, 1977 Talladega 500
1974 Dodge #42
Started 28th, finished 38th
(engine froze during a pit stop)

October 16, 1977 First Marty Robbins World Open 500
Nashville, TN Freddy Fryar qualified Marty's car for him.

August 6, 1978 Talladega 500
1978 Dodge Magnum #42
Started 38, finished 18th

June 17, 1979 Gabriel 400
1978 Dodge Magnum #42
Started 29th, finished 35th

July 4, 1979 Firecracker 400
Daytona Beach, FL
Marty began using the numbers "6" or "36" at this point, as he allowed Kyle Petty to use #42.

August 5, 1979 Talladega 500
1979 Dodge Magnum #36
Started 40th, finished 32nd

August 19, 1979 Champion Spark Plug 400
1978 Dodge Magnum #6
Started 33rd, finished 37th

May 4, 1980 Winston 500
1978 Dodge Magnum #6
Started 36th, finished 33rd

August 23, 1980Missouri 100
Completed 92 laps, won $280

July 4, 1980 Firecracker 400
1978 Dodge Magnum #79
Started 31st, finished 30th

August 3, 1980 Talladega 500
1978 Dodge Magnum #6
Started 37th, finished 13th

October 5, 1980 National 500
Charlotte, NC Chevrolet #6
Started 30th, finished 32nd

August 2, 1981 ARCA Race
1978 Dodge Magnum, finished 35th

July 4, 1982 Firecracker 400
Daytona Beach, FL Buick Regal #22
Started 31st, finished 37th

November 7, 1982 Atlanta Journal 500
Hampton, GA Buick Regal #22
Started 36th, finished 33rd
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

pettybird

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

moparstuart

pettybird