News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Engine removal and installation estimate

Started by MedPhys, March 19, 2008, 03:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MedPhys

Ok, so I want to remove my engine and go through it since I am beginning the journey to a reliable nice looking 69 charger.  I don't have much space in my garage 2 car, but I have a new baby so I can't put one of the cars (baby vehicle) in the driveway.  Removing the engine and installing it is not beyond my scope, but I would have to purchase a lot of equipment and tools.  I'm trying to decide if the following quote is worth it to avoid bying tools and saving my time.  I've been quoted $800 - $1000 from and automotive shop that was recommended by a engine builder ( they only build motors) to remove and then reinstall.  Is this a good price, or too high?  We will assume I will take the car to them in running condition and is returned in running condition.  I will then have the car painted. motor checked out ( and cam swapped), but that's for a different post.  I have questions about what cam, and will post engine, rear-end and tranny specs later.

Thanks

rav440

$800.00-$1000.00 could buy alot of nice tools . sounds like alot to me to pull and install .

if it were me id invest the $$ into the tools and do it my self . actully thats what i did .

searh the craigslist.net you can find the lift , engine stand , & a good used compressor for under $500.00 and the buy a nice set of wrenchs & air tools and a tap system for the old fridge yopu find on CL call your buddys and goto town on the car .  :2thumbs:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

Rolling_Thunder

doesnt seem to be a horrible price. I know places out here charge more than that...       $100.00 per hour and it takes what ? 12 hours to remove and install an engine ?  so that is $1200.00   prices go up from there
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Finn

The only things I remember having to buy for the engine pull was a engine lift and engine stand, I got both on sale and I think the total came in under 250 bucks if I remember right??
If I didnt have to put the engine back in myself Id sell them to you cheap, the parents want my shit out of their yard lol...
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

MedPhys

Iv'e never actually pulled an engine before.  Only worked on them in or out of a vehicle.  Is it possible to pull the engine with my tti headers attached?  I remember it being awfully tight when they went on.  I think I tried 50 different times to get the steering column side header on with no luck, then all of a sudden it slipped into place with no problem.  Funny how that works sometimes.  It sounds like I should just do it myself.  I hate outsourcing because I just don't trust that it will be done right.  I've only been in Huntsville for 10 months, and don't have any leads on a reputable shop.  It's scary trying to pick a place out of a phone book.  Just because a place has a lot of nice parts on the shelf doesn't mean they can build a quality motor. 

Thanks for the help

Finn

I would doubt it. I stripped everything I could off of mine for weight reasons and room to manuver.
As far as picking an engine shop, ask around at car shows and/or a local well known hot rod builder's shop.
I lucked out and had a friend that is a mechanic who suggested jim grubbs motorsports. Turned out to be a great guy and his shop did an awesome job.

Good luck!
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

terrible one

Quote from: Finn on March 19, 2008, 09:19:36 PM
The only things I remember having to buy for the engine pull was a engine lift and engine stand, I got both on sale and I think the total came in under 250 bucks if I remember right??
If I didnt have to put the engine back in myself Id sell them to you cheap, the parents want my shit out of their yard lol...

I'm telling you! I don't have room for a lift so I rented for $36 for a day and bought a stand from the flea market for $45 = $81

gordo1968charger

i bought an engine crane for 150 quid,(new)but you can hire them cheap enough,engine stand cost me about 50 quid(new).
for a 1000 dollars i ll fly out and do it for ya!!
it really is that simple!
lots of very very good advice on this site!
if you get stuck
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

tecmopar

I've recently seen the folding engine cranes for under $200 and decent quality, stand for under $100, both at Advance and Autozone and you can always sell them when done. Or look into renting the crane. Now I've done this too many times, I just about always pull motor and trans together and as long as your not dealing with rusted bolts and such it only takes a few hours with a decent set of tools, theres not really that many bolts/nuts to remove. If memory serves me you can't pull it with the headers attached and those will take the most time to do. Think about it, there are only 8 bolts/nuts holding the motor and trans in place, 4 on the driveshaft, a few on the radiator and hoses and then all the little stuff and its ready to be yanked out. I guess because I've done it so many times it really is simple for me, good luck.

MedPhys

I really appreciate the advice.  I'm starting to get excited again about working on my car.  It's been a long time.  I'm going to do it myself.  As far as cranes go.  Do I need a 1 ton or 2 ton?  I'm concerned with the 1 ton only being able to lift 500 lbs when boom is fully extended.  I plan on removing the trans as well.  2 ton is only $50 more and well worth it for safety if I will be at the limit of the 1 ton crane.

pullrock

I recommend that you purchase a book that really helped me.  I had the aptitude but have never removed and installed an engine before.  This really helped a lot!  It even shows you how to tell what motor mount goes on what side of the engine.  (Make sure to mark them when you take them off)

Hot to rebuild Big-Block Mopar Engines.  By Don Taylor.
http://www.amazon.com/Big-block-mopar-engines-Don-Taylor/dp/1557881901

Good luck!

Eric

rav440

Quote from: MedPhys on March 20, 2008, 10:20:07 AM
I really appreciate the advice.  I'm starting to get excited again about working on my car.  It's been a long time.  I'm going to do it myself.  As far as cranes go.  Do I need a 1 ton or 2 ton?  I'm concerned with the 1 ton only being able to lift 500 lbs when boom is fully extended.  I plan on removing the trans as well.  2 ton is only $50 more and well worth it for safety if I will be at the limit of the 1 ton crane.

get a 2 ton . like i said do a searh on the craigslist.net i see them on all the time in pittsburgh for about half cost of new and they were barley used , so you should should be able to find them on there were you live .

good luck  :cheers:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX