News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona survivor??

Started by Ghoste, March 16, 2008, 12:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Watching a video from a few years ago and I saw one of the Malcolms' Daytona's in the "Survivor" tent at the Mopar Nationals.  The car was red but it had black fender scoops.  Correct me if I'm wrong but all Daytona's had body color scoops?

pettybird

it was done forever ago.  you're right that they are body color.  survivor doesn't mean perfect...if you look at most of them there are all sorts of idiosyncrasies.

the fender scoops on one of our 'birds have been black since 1972--the paint flaked off and the kid (18 at the time) didn't have money to have the paint mixed.  he thought they would look OK black as the car had a black top, so there they are--krylon black from K mart.

hell the weird stuff like that has the best stories! 

Ghoste

No, I realize it they aren't perfect.  In fact, it is thier warts that make them so attractive (??) and Mopar survivors are a much better representation of the word than Bloomington Corvettes are (they can only have 1/2 the original parts and a repaint and still qualify) but I just wanted to be certain that the black scoops were an add-on in this instance.  Thanks pettybird.

nascarxx29

The black scoop daytona was the old Tim Sparrow car who got it from the original owner near Allentown PA.It also had faded on the 1/4s dodge from a old decal original owner installed.And a carb replacement carb with a electric choke when I saw it englishtown NJ.Its now Bob M car and looks good
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

69_500

Somewhere around here I have some video tape of the Malcoms car from back around 1982 or 1983. At that time the car was still wearing the black vinyl graphics on the side of the car advertising for the dealership.

Troy

Hemigeno's car and 3--Daytona's green survivor car also have black scoops - but their consensus seems to be that the dealer did that (I believe they were sold at the same dealership).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Ghoste

All three cars or just those two?

Troy

Quote from: Ghoste on March 17, 2008, 03:35:04 AM
All three cars or just those two?
The two I mentioned. I think they were the only two sold at that dealership (in Missouri?). I believe Malcolm's car was originally sold at their own dealership but I tend to forget so don't quote me on any of that. ;)

Troy

69_500

The Malcom car with the black scoops was not sold at their dealership. I think that the only Daytona they sold new at their dealership was the A4 silver car with red interior.

Troy

Quote from: 69_500 on March 17, 2008, 04:11:30 PM
The Malcom car with the black scoops was not sold at their dealership. I think that the only Daytona they sold new at their dealership was the A4 silver car with red interior.
Ah, I knew one of them was. So was I right about only two Daytonas from the other dealership?

Troy

69_500

Geno's and 3Daytona's cars were sold at the same dealership in MO yes. And they both have black scoops, as well as black chin spoilers.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on March 17, 2008, 04:28:33 PM
Geno's and 3Daytona's cars were sold at the same dealership in MO yes. And they both have black scoops, as well as black chin spoilers.
saint joe missouri just north of kansas city ( home of the pony express) 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemigeno

Jim's car (3--Daytona) and mine were indeed sold at St. Joseph Dodge, and they both had scoops that were painted black over the body color.  The Malcom's V2 car was listed as having shipped to PA -- I think that was the one with the black scoops, but I don't remember off the top of my head.  It really doesn't matter as their R4 "survivor" was shipped to OK anyway.

Pettybird/Doug's right, that was a very common & simple customizing touch that was done at the time - although it's a real headscratcher why anyone was worried about drawing yet more attention to their car...   :P

moparstuart

Quote from: hemigeno on March 17, 2008, 06:07:27 PM
Jim's car (3--Daytona) and mine were indeed sold at St. Joseph Dodge, and they both had scoops that were painted black over the body color.  The Malcom's V2 car was listed as having shipped to PA -- I think that was the one with the black scoops, but I don't remember off the top of my head.  It really doesn't matter as their R4 "survivor" was shipped to OK anyway.

Pettybird/Doug's right, that was a very common & simple customizing touch that was done at the time - although it's a real headscratcher why anyone was worried about drawing yet more attention to their car...   :P
maybe like doug stated alot of them may have commonly had paint peel problems? or  fade
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

nascarxx29

Wonder if they blacked them out to hide the scoops mounting bosses imperfections.Ive seen dimples and impression on the topsides of some scoops
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Ghoste

Maybe.  Personally I tend to think it was just done to look cool.