News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power Brake Boosters

Started by BlueSS454, March 13, 2008, 11:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSS454

I need to get a new power booster for the 69 Charger, the one on there has a vacuum leak and I know it's not the right one for the application.  I have what I believe is a drum brake booster, 2 halves are banded together with a big band clamp.  I have a Bendix 11515 Master Cylinder which lists for a 71-75 Charger as well as 70-74 E bodies and a bunch of other cars.  Should I get the booster for a 71-75 B Body/70-74 E body?  It's Cardone part number 54-73705.  I did convert the car to disc brakes using the 11.75" rotors.
Tom Rightler

Chatt69chgr

I would suggest you call the guys at Pirate Jacks in Asheville, NC and ask them.  They sell repop boosters and are real knowledgeable.  The correct booster for your car is a Bendix dual diaphram which is no longer available.  MBM (who is the wholesale arm of Pirate Jack) has had it in their catalog for two or three years but so far no booster.  But I think other boosters will perform just fine.  You just need to ask them which one of the ones they sell would they recommend.  Now, if you wanted to be kind of crafty, you could get their recommendation and then see if that booster is available from one of the reman places.  Be careful with Cardone.  What is pictured from them in their literature is not necessarily what you will get.  They have been combining part numbers for a year or so.  The correct master for your car is a good example.  Order the one with the lines coming out the engine side as shown in their picture and you may end up with one of five Master cyl's.  But you are in luck with the Master cyl.  It is available from NAPA in a new repop from China and looks almost exactly like the original Bendix unit----with the lines coming out the engine side.  I think Chrysler changed the booster in 1970 and went with a Midland Ross booster for the disc/drum brake setup in a B-body.  See what was used for that.  The Midland Ross unit is available---might not be correct----but would get the job done until someone repops the correct one.

chargerboy69

Sorry to highjack the thread. So will one of these boosters or master cylinder combo's work? Now, I did put in my cars details 383 2 barrel with power drum brakes. I was just curious if these were any good. I do not care if it is original or not. I just want to be able to stop.

http://www.autozone.com/N,14400143//shopping/partTypeResultSet.htm
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

BlueSS454

This is the setup on the car now.  It's not "correct", I'm not really concerned with that, I just want it functional.  The disc brake setup is off a 78 Dodge Magnum.  The booster is just one I had laying around in the pile of parts I got when I bought the car.  The master cylinder is for a 71-5 B body/70-74 E body, new Bendix Unit I got from the parts store.

This is the original booster/master cylinder on my cousin's Cuda.  THe part number I found on Autozone's website shows a pic of this one.  I just need to know if this one will work on a 69 Charger as far as functionality and bolting up to the original pedal linkage.

Tom Rightler

Chatt69chgr

Chargerboy69-----------looks like the Autozone booster part number 54-73501 would work fine for your application.

BlueSS454---------------The flat looking booster in your second picture is the correct one for 3rd gen Chargers and looks like it's also correct for several years of the E-bodys.  I don't think you would have any trouble attaching the master you have to this booster since your master appears to be for the same years applications as the booster.  As far as the booster physically being able to attach to the firewall and to the pedal mechanism the plain answer is I don't know.  My guess is that it would fit.  They only cost $78 (plus core charge of $30).  You could buy one and see.  I would guess that from a functional standpoint, the booster would also work fine.  Chrysler liked to use the same parts and engineering in as many different application as they could.  And this booster and master is performing the exact same function as the Bendix one did.  Chrysler probably got a better deal from Midland Ross on this stuff and switched over to them on 70 and up vehicles.  The rest of the brake system is the same.  I just don't see any reason right off that this wouldn't work.

chargerboy69

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on March 14, 2008, 10:36:13 PM
Chargerboy69-----------looks like the Autozone booster part number 54-73501 would work fine for your application.

Great. Thank you so much for your help.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford