News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440source Staelth Heads finally arrived

Started by Musicman, March 15, 2008, 02:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Musicman

Well, my new Stealth heads finally arrived from 440Source, and I don't mind telling you, they sure are pretty. Quality looks really good... all the valves are dead level, and the bowls and seats were cleaned up at the factory so there isn't much of anything to do there either. Of course, I put the ROL gasket on the heads and checked that out. Looks good... comes right to the very edge in a couple of spots, but who cares. The diameter of the cylinder is much smaller than the diameter of the combustion chamber, so the fact that the gasket is sitting on the edge of the chamber is absolutely meaningless. At any rate... I know folks are curious, so I will do a series of post here... this one just to show off the new heads. Next will be some side-by-side shots with an old pair of 452's, and then another set of side-by-side shots with an old pair of closed chamber heads.

Enjoy  :2thumbs:

Mike

Musicman

More Shots...

Musicman

Here are some side-by-sides with an old set of 452's... sorry about the dirt and grime  :D

Musicman

More shots...

Musicman

Yup, even more...

Musicman

Ok, now it's time for the new Stealth heads along side a set of old Mopar closed chamber heads...
That's all for today folks... I'm tired, and I need a  :cheers:

mally69

Great pics  :yesnod:    On my heads, the rol's gasket didn't come that close to the edge of the combustion chamber for some reason,  but yours should work just fine. I set the dial pins in the heads and put 4 heads bolts through random  holes to make sure my gaskets were lined up the way they would be when being bolted down.  Good work, you will be in for a great surprise when you stomp the pedal for the first time :icon_smile_big:  Thanks for sharing the pics  :cheers: ;)

Musicman

Quote from: mally69 on March 15, 2008, 11:20:09 PM
On my heads, the rol's gasket didn't come that close to the edge of the combustion chamber for some reason,  but yours should work just fine.

I haven't CC'd the heads yet, but as with all castings, there is always going to be some degree of deviation +/-... As I said, the actual cylinder bore is smaller than the chamber diameter, so it doesn't amount to a hill of beans anyway.
As far as lining up the gasket on the head, I did the same thing you did, a few bolts and a couple of dowel pins.  :2thumbs:

Thanks for the comments Mally69  :cheers:  I was beginning to feel that I had wasted my time taking all these comparison shots... when no one was interested.

Mike

Mike DC

Thanks for the comparo.

Just for reference, what did we end up with for a ballpark price on those new heads (assembled as they sit in the pics)?

Musicman

Price was $899 a pair, fully assembled  :2thumbs:

69chargerR/T

Quote from: Musicman on March 16, 2008, 09:14:02 AM
Quote from: mally69 on March 15, 2008, 11:20:09 PM
On my heads, the rol's gasket didn't come that close to the edge of the combustion chamber for some reason,  but yours should work just fine.

I haven't CC'd the heads yet, but as with all castings, there is always going to be some degree of deviation +/-... As I said, the actual cylinder bore is smaller than the chamber diameter, so it doesn't amount to a hill of beans anyway.
As far as lining up the gasket on the head, I did the same thing you did, a few bolts and a couple of dowel pins.  :2thumbs:

Thanks for the comments Mally69  :cheers:  I was beginning to feel that I had wasted my time taking all these comparison shots... when no one was interested.

Mike

Musicman, I'm interested, and I'm sure a lot of other guys are your post has 81 views :2thumbs: I checked out your photos and find it very informative and I'm sure other guys do too :2thumbs: I hope everyone that gets these heads keep us posted on how they are and what they think about them :2thumbs: So please keep us posted on your install of the heads :2thumbs: Alan

Musicman

Thanks Alan

Unfortunately, I won't be bolting them down for several weeks. I still have to pick up my rotating assembly and have the block machined before that can happen. I picked up the heads early because the price was right. You never know what the price will be tomorrow... especially in todays marketplace.

Mike

mally69

Nope you didn't waste your time taking pics, you did  great with your pics :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

2harleyriders

Thanks.  I will be getting mine soon.     :popcrn:
Thats how I roll.

RAC95054

Quote from: Musicman on March 16, 2008, 10:35:45 AM
Thanks Alan

Unfortunately, I won't be bolting them down for several weeks. I still have to pick up my rotating assembly and have the block machined before that can happen. I picked up the heads early because the price was right. You never know what the price will be tomorrow... especially in todays marketplace.

Mike

Any update on the engine assembly?  I saw a set of the heads at Spring Fling last weekend, and they do look really sharp.  I'll probably be getting a set myself real soon.

Play: Work that you enjoy doing for nothing.   -Evan Esar

dadstoy66

Congrats on getting your heads.  :cheers:  I also picked up a pair the price will not stay at $899 for much longer.

gordo1968charger

have the edelbrock heads met there match with the stealth heads? :popcrn:
68 charger+4 kids=2 jobs

Doc

Where are these heads made ? .... what is the comb chamber CC's ?

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Doc on July 03, 2008, 12:30:36 AM
Where are these heads made ? .... what is the comb chamber CC's ?

believe they are machined in China - don't quote me on that though....      84CC chambers
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

JerseyJoe

May be a dumb question but I'm about to install mine,
   Do I need dowels to locate them properly or will the head bolts take care of that?
              Joe

firefighter3931

Quote from: JerseyJoe on August 18, 2008, 08:42:40 AM
May be a dumb question but I'm about to install mine,
   Do I need dowels to locate them properly or will the head bolts take care of that?
              Joe

Nope, not a dumb question  ;)

Use the dowls.....they are there for a reason.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

JerseyJoe

Quote from: firefighter3931 on August 18, 2008, 02:35:46 PM

Nope, not a dumb question  ;)

Use the dowls.....they are there for a reason.  :yesnod:

Ron

Thanks, Ron..... Now.... where the heck are the ones I had?   :pullinghair:

RD

be sure to check each lock/retainer on each valve... had a friend just this weekend who is running these have a lock fail on him, throw the retainer and bend the valve.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Musicman

:iagree:  Yes, as with any new fully assembled head (regardless of manufacture)... check everything before installing them. The 7 degree locks and keepers on the Stealths are okay for most applications, but you do want to make certain that they are installed correctly. 10 degree locks and keepers make a nice upgrade and provide greater piece of mind. I would also reccomend a good quality valve job as well, but that's up to you.

jackel440

Quote from: Musicman on August 19, 2008, 08:01:44 AM
:iagree:  Yes, as with any new fully assembled head (regardless of manufacture)... check everything before installing them. The 7 degree locks and keepers on the Stealths are okay for most applications, but you do want to make certain that they are installed correctly. 10 degree locks and keepers make a nice upgrade and provide greater piece of mind. I would also reccomend a good quality valve job as well, but that's up to you.
awesome pics TY.
You said something about a valve job?Did you go back and rework the valves and seats on these new heads?I would love to get some of these in the future I think they would be great. :2thumbs: