News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WTF! Getting a ticket for RUNNING OUT OF GAS??

Started by C_stripes, March 15, 2008, 01:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C_stripes

So this is the crazyest thing I have heard or seen in a long time. So My friend was driving home from work and ran out of gas in his camaro. He ran to my house as I was only about a mile from were he ran out of fuel. From there we went to work which is another mile. We grabbed a gas can and went to the 7-11 and put some fuel in it. All in all. The car sat next to the road for less than half an hour. We pull up to the car and there is a cop waiting and a tow truck pulling up. All this in less than a half hour. The tow truck driver was way cool and said since he has a gas can there and that is all that was wrong hes fine with letting it go. The Cop didn't like that. He proceeds to lecture us about how once he calls the car in it is now in the states custody and blah blah blah. Then he asks for Chases(My friends) License and reg. Well I leave now. Once I get home. Chase calls me and tells me the cop wrote him out a ticket for un-emergency stop, Running out of fuel.  Its going to cost $80 if he doesn't fight it in court. How desperate are these cops for money to pay for their chargers that they need to write tickets for running out of fuel?  This is total bull sh*t!   Anyway.  Just thought you would like to hear why Logan PD Sux the big one.        Jeremy
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

Charger1973

Dude I thought cops were supposed to protect and serve not screw over and rob people...  Thats some BS if you ask me.

terrible one

Haha oh god how about a 2:00 AM scene from the parking lot at work last night now that I think about it!

Bubba and I saw a cop followed by a Ford Ranger pull into the car wash complex across the street. The cop tucked into a bay and turned his lights off. Then a girl steps out of the truck and goes over there, seeing us two looking on the way. The cop then gets out of his car, turns his flash light on and is shining it in our direction. He then talks to the girl, and they drive off, with her leaving and him following. Now what do you think was going on here?  :scratchchin:

Charger1973

Yeah me and a buddy busted a cop doin his thing one time, we were like 12 and there was a creek that ran through the trees at his place.  Well there was a driveway on the other side of the creek that leads down into the trees, pretty well hidden, but it was still on their property.  So we were screwing around in the trees and we saw a car so we snuck up on it, usually it was just punk kids and we would get his dad to run them off.  Well this time it wasnt kids, it was a county sherriff car and he was in the back seat on top of some girl.  We threw a couple small rocks at the car windows and he was out of there in a hurry.   :rofl:   Oh man I wish that would happen again now...

69_500

What irritates me around here, is when I see cops flip on their lights, at a stop light late at night to just roll through it, then go up 1 block and pull into a grocey store parking lot. Get out, and go get some groceries.

Had a cop get upset with me when I was in my truck making a delivery one day at work. Pulled over on the side of the road, had flashers on, in the loading/unloading zone in front of a building. Cop pulls up behind my truck while I"m stacking stuff on my dolly. Turns lights on, gets out, and proceeds to tel me I can't park the truck there to do a delivery. I shake my head, then turn and point to the sign that says in about 6" high letters LOADING/UNLOADING Zone only. Point back to the stack of items on the dolly, then go inside the building. Cop follows me in to the freight elevator and tells me I need to move the truck or i'll be ticketed. I ask what on earth make him think that he can write a ticket for doing exactly what is posted? He says,"Leave the truck there and I'll have it towed and ticketed". Just pushed the button, rode the elevator up to do deliveries, came down to a ticket on the truck. $150 fine. I pulled out my nice digital camera (always carry it with me). Took a nice shot of the truck where it was, making note to have it at an angle in the photo to show the CLEAR sign saying loading/unloading zone. Then took a picture of the ticket with my watch in the photo as well, showing time I was taking the pictures and proceeded to mail in my ticket with a notice that I'll be going to court over this one.
Come the day of the court, I drive over to the court house, pull in to park. No signs anywhere in front of the building stating its any kind of reserved parking or anything. I am getting out of my car, when a cop pulls up behind me and says "You will need to move that car". I said, "Why?"
"The parking lot fills up very fast on court days, and you can't park in that area. You'll need to pull around to the back side of the building to make room for people who have court dates." he says.
I looked at him, and said I was going to court for a ticket, and there is nothing posted saying its a reserved spot so I'm leaving the car there. Guy goes on to say if I leave the car there I'll get a parking ticket for parking in a reserved space. So I go inside the court house, talk to the people at the front desk. They go outside with me to my car, and upon getting to it see the cop standing at my drivers door writing me a ticket. They told me to go on inside to court and that they would handle it. Aparently he was a cop that was on probation for doing a lot of things that weren't in the best interest of the police station, and was supposed to be going in on that day to turn in his badge, and was apparently too lazy to park on the back side of the building and walk around, so he was going to try to throw some weight around with his badge and get me to move so that he could park in the closer lot.

All in all it was a pretty funny span of 4 weeks. Oh the first parking ticket was thrown out by the judge when my time came up for the whole case.

Bandit72

this happened to me one time...ran out of gas in my buddys truck (big pos 81 chevy) anyway, i was 2 blocks from school and had to go in for detention, so i just walked and figured i'd come get the truck in an hour...well in that hour, the truck was towed and i had a ticket waiting at my house...i was PISSED...i had afew words with the cop and my buddys insurance paid for the tow..i didn't end up paying anything but man i was i gonna give the judge afew words...
Daddy ran whiskey in a big black dodge
bought it at an auction at the masons lodge,
Johnson County Sherriff painted on the side,
just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside,
well him and my uncle tore that engine down,
I still remember that rumblin' sound.....

TruckDriver

Quote from: Charger1973 on March 15, 2008, 01:51:48 PM
Dude I thought cops were supposed to protect and serve not screw over and rob people...  Thats some BS if you ask me.
:iagree:

He would be smart to fight that ticket.
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

69bronzeT5

Quote from: 69_500 on March 15, 2008, 02:18:15 PM
What irritates me around here, is when I see cops flip on their lights, at a stop light late at night to just roll through it, then go up 1 block and pull into a grocey store parking lot. Get out, and go get some groceries.

How bout this...I've seen a few stupid cops here. One time, lots of traffic, this cop flips his lights on, proceeds to get everybody out of his way, goes through the red light (that was causing the traffic jam) and then once he gets to the other side of the intersection, turns his lights off and drives slow :flame:.

Yeah Jeremy, that is just pure BS :rotz:
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Silver R/T

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722

69bronzeT5

bull

dkn1997

Quote from: Silver R/T on March 15, 2008, 06:48:32 PM
I never liked cops, theyre all crooks

I think you just lowered the collective IQ of this website by at least 10 points by writing that dumb-ass comment.  Good job.  :rotz:
RECHRGED

hemihead

There are some Cops on this site that may disagree with you  :lol:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

moparjohn

The many get blamed for the few, but still why do cops have to be that way (ticket for parking in loading zone).   If you don't have anything against them, you will when something like this happens.  Lets have a crackdown on slow drivers in the fast lane, make as much  money as they can and keep traffic moving.   When the're at it lets ticket people who can't mke turns on and off streets without crossing the doulble line, most intersections are at 90 degrees not 45!!! 
Happiness is having a hole in your roof!

69bronzeT5

ereru7

i would of towed your shit... just my 2 :Twocents:. you shouldnt be causing problems.

HITMAN 149

thanks guys for sticking up!!!
i'm not even gonna lowere myself down to a certain colors screen name & start this debate OR pissing match on this wonderfull forum. (cause we all kn ow what's gonna happen then!!)
i'll let anyone here that knows me or that i've dealt with, either stick up for me (which they alreday have!!  :D) as they know the type of person  i am!!!!
and YES unfortunaltley a few bad apples do spoil the WHOLE TREE!!!!
well on that note... i have to go to work..... ummm lets see, and since it's sat nite.. deal with a bunch of drunk obnoxious a$$ holes, ummm gun toting drug dealers, (ahhh yea when was the last time, you went to work and had to deal w/ that on a reg basis?!?!?!?), drunk drivers, crack heads, domestic vilolence...(which is the #2 reason how cops get hurt/killed).. (traffic accidents are #1!!!)
so i'll just next time you or a loved one is getting hurt, robbed or whatever you would normally call the cops for..... try calling a gas station attendant or a wal mart manager, or a crack head .... and seeeeee who the hell shows up & protects your family!!!!!! and ohhhh yea another thing... when there's a fire also (not knockin any firemen!!!) but cause we are out on patrol all night... WE are usually the first one's there, getting the people out, till they get there!!!
have a good night, be carefull & stay outta trouble!!!
:cheers:
-JOHN
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/

69bronzeT5

Quote from: ereru7 on March 15, 2008, 09:01:21 PM
i would of towed your shit... just my 2 :Twocents:. you shouldnt be causing problems.

I assume you mean the car that ran out of gas? :scratchchin:

4cruzin

Wow that would of sucked to get a ticket for running out of gas . . .   I have to respect the cops for what they have to do with the world as it is but come on . . . help the person out of gas . . not screw him. 
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

Badbob

it should have been $100 for driving a camaro

Badbob

Uh, sorry, make that $250 for leaving junk along the roadside

C_stripes

I wasn't knocking on all the cops. More the Logan city police department. They spend way to much money and have to ticket everyone for anything. I know there are good,  GREAT cops out there. I respect them. I just think that some should be a little cooler.  My friend ran out of gas. The car was sitting OFF the side of the road for less than a half hour. We went and got gas. Put it in the car and were being cool to the cop. We gave him NO reason to be a dick. So he issues a $80 ticket.  All that showes is he wants to push his power around. Has he never been out of gas??     As for the guy that said he would have towed it.  Ya.  We were causing lots of problems. The car was blocking 30 lanes of traffic and holding up an airport. So I guess they should have towed it for causing problems :2thumbs:thats my  :Twocents:.  When your down on your luck and out of gas on the side of the road.  I hope you remember that your causing problems and you need to be towed.     Hitman and any other officers on this site.  I did not mean to start anything.  I appriceate what you do.  Thanks too all of you. But there are some things that they should just help out on.  Its like the service that boots cars around here.  There was a truck that stalled in the drive way here the other day so the kid ran back to his apartment . When he got back to his truck 15 minuets later.  They had allready booted it.  $75 will get the boots off.   Since when was it not polite to offer service anymore?  I guess now its kick them wile their down.   I don't know.
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

jlb1pi

The Law Enforcement profession is no different than any other profession, or for that matter the rest of the world...
There's:
-good cops and there's bad cops
-honest cops and corrupt cops
-intelligent cops and literally dumb/stupid cops
-fair cops and unfair cops
-kind cops and brutal cops
-caring cops and don't-give-a-f*&% cops
-brave cops and coward cops
-conscientious cops and slip-shod cops
-cool cops and badge-heavy cops
-rookie cops and experienced cops

Now does that sound any different than any other profession, or job, or boss in the
rest of the world? (Except maybe instead of "badge-heavy", substitute "power-tripping" or "authority-abusing").
No different at all, because Cops are FROM the rest of the world, before they became cops...
so there naturally are good ones and there are bad ones.

Cops aren't perfect...far from it...69 500: you had the right idea with the camera and the sign...
If one thinks that a reasonable person would believe the cop was in the wrong...he probably was !!
State your best case in court, and if the cop WAS in the wrong, there's a good chance you'll
beat it....if the judge is any kind of reasonable man himself.

Just don't make the mistake of lumping ALL cops into one category!! Because they are just as different from each other as
the rest of the people in the world are different from each other, and you can't stereotype them!

Oh, and,
There are active cops like HITMAN 149, still puttin' it out on the line every shift--thank God for that--
and there are retired ones like JLB1PI, who has the same God to thank for getting me through to the end...in one piece, more or less!

And we are (were) both NUTS!!....why else would we break speed limits, blow red lights, swerve around
vehicles who won't pull over so that:....
We can be the first one to the scene where there's "A Man With A Gun!" :o

HITMAN 149: Be safe Brother...my thoughts and prayers are with you! :2thumbs:

C_STRIPES: Running out of gas IS an Emergency Stop in California...I'm willing to bet
the same holds true for your state/city and that once you find the statute that defines it, you will
have all you need to get the ticket dismissed. (Look in the Glossary of Terms in
your state's Vehicle Code...the BIG book, not the little driver's book you get at the Motor Vehicle Department).

Just don't assume that the judge is going to automatically know what defines an Emergency stop versus
a Non-Emergency stop...that's why I say do your homework before the court appearance!!

My Four Cents,
Jer.

P.S. Give me a few days to downsize my sig pics...I just now figured out how to post them !!
....Old Dog learning New Tricks !
THANKS.

Mike DC

QuoteState your best in court, and if they cop WAS in the wrong . . . there's a good chance you'll beat it.

I'd like to believe that.  My life experience tells be otherwise. 

I find that unless there's some specific proof of why you had no right to be written the ticket in the first place (like if you can prove that you weren't even in the same county at the time of the incident, for example), then you will lose in court.  If you've been issued a ticket, and there is any legal reason for the ticket to be justified, then you're gonna lose.  (By "justified" I mean the law was written to technically allow it.  No common-sense objections need apply.)

And then you will be charged the original penalty fine as if you never tried to fight the charge. 

This might not be any big deal on paper.  But in the real world it means that since you didn't fix the ticket with a lawyer and tried to fight it, then your insurance situation will effectively penalize you with the extra license points.  Which generally hurts a lot worse than the extra $2-300 "fixing" fees that you pay out to a combination of the lawyer and the court. 

I have nothing against the individual officers out there.  I swear I don't. 

But the system is absolutely not set up to give you a fair hearing to challenge your charge.  It's set up to penalize you for not rolling over & paying quietly each time.

HITMAN 149

from jeremy (c-stripes).."As for the guy that said he would have towed it.  Ya.  We were causing lots of problems. The car was blocking 30 lanes of traffic and holding up an airport. So I guess they should have towed it for causing problems :2thumbs:thats my  .  When your down on your luck and out of gas on the side of the road.  I hope you remember that your causing problems and you need to be towed. "  LMFAO!!! you are 100% right lol!!!  i believe what goes around.. comes around!!!  :angel: yes i agree that was a douche move... giving your buddy a ticket for being unfortunate enough to run outta gas!!! yes i would have tried to help him!! that's just friggin ridiculous that he got a ticket!!! wish i could help ya fight it!!! i'd deff go to court!!! trust me.. the cops that write ridiculous tickets like that, look like assholes when they go to court, trust me the JUDGE remembers their honesty & credibility, for future cases!!!!  it's ok jeremy i didn't get the feeling you were knocking all cops!!!  :2thumbs:

and just to be clear... all those douchbebag cops, that  ALL you guys don't like... WE don't like those guys either!!!!! but we have to work with em!!!

THANKS BROTHER!!!  :2thumbs: A BIGGGGGGG :cheers: to you JLB1PI YOU made it!!! hope you enjoy it for a LONGGGGG time!!!  :2thumbs: i got 15-1/2 more to go!!! lol  seems like an eternity... but i tell ya the first  9 1/2 flew by!!!!
100% percent true, just like in every profession ... there are nice guys & there are bad guys....etc..etc..etc, but we just seem to get lumped in with all the bad guys!!!  i guess all we can do is try & make the best out of it!!! etc thanks

mike dc....
bro trust me i know it seems like the system is against the honest working guy, whose not a kazzzzzillionaire!! lol, i've been to court on cases where the same gun toting crack head, whose been locked up 4 dozen times gets off with a dopey lil fine!!!  :flame: yea makes ya pissssed!!!!  but like i told jeremy... if you go & fight a realllly stupid ticket that the retard cop wrote because he's a jerk, most of the time you'll get off!!!!! and it does piss off the judges & the prosecutors, when the cops write tickets for the wrong things, and when it's for a ridiculous reason!!!
i guess it also depends on what area you live in too, i can see more rural area's being a lil harsher (unfortunatly) on the public & maybe being a lil unfair/bias in the courts cause the courts & the local police are closely related. which sucks if you can't get a fair shake!!! the system does suck... for both sides!!!!!  :flame:

and yes we most likely get away with speeding when we get pulled over by another cop...it's sorta a perk of the job... just like if your brother or cousin worked at target, you'd prob get a discount too, or have them buy it for you w/ their discount... and if you were a cop, would you give another cop a ticket???? i highly doubt it!!!! unless you wanna start a war between the departments!!! lol

and yes as in my previous post (before i went to work), LAST NIGHT WAS BUSY AS HELLLLLL,and we were short handed...only 4 guys working the street last night, on a busy (nice night) sat bar night!!!!
we went from call to call, from one end of town to the other end of town allllll night long!!! all i'll say is ...some kid should be thanking he's still got his teeth in his mouth after last night!!!!  :flame:

and just out of curiosity ::).... anybody know what MR SILVER R/T does for a living?!?!?!?  :scratchchin:

my sincere apologies to all, who have ever dealt with a douchebag cop!!! SORRY!!! we aren't all like that.... some of us actually do help people!!! LOL!!! :icon_smile_big:
i'm not patting myself on the back or looking for an ego trip, but just to share.. and maybe restore a lil faith in the law enforcement profession. there was a BIG fire in the town i work.. (which is basically 1 square mile of New York City, but right across the hudson river on the New Jersey side)  a huge apartment bldg went on fire, my partner & i were only 2 blocks away when the call came in (people usually call us first for everything) so as we pull up you can see alot of black smoke from a window on the 4th floor, and a guy pointing out his window to us, so of course we run upstairs & knock on doors to get people up (it's 1:30am also). so we get up to the 4th fl, and the smoke is really comming from under & all around the apartment door, since i don't know if there is anybody in there, i kick the door down & get pummelled with the thick black smoke & i can feel the heat of the flames, well i tried to get in, but the smoke was too much!!! it's amazing how it just consumes your lungs!!! anyways i tried 3 times but couldn't get in the apartment, my boss finally ordered me away, dragging me down the other side of hallway!! (couch..couch choke choke!! LOL, mmmm nice black stuff comes out for a week!!!), anyways 2 other of my guys were able to save an elderly handicapped lady who was overweight & would've NEVER been able to get out on her own!!! we went to find them , cause they were calling for help on the radio as her apt was filling up w/ smoke & flames, but the front glass door to that entrance was locked... so i ended up breaking, the glass door to get in!! hey..gotta do what ya gotta do!!! they all got out ok!!! the fire dept arrived & ended up putting out the fire, but it destroyed like 2 floors & the roof!!! it was a BIG fire!!! 4 of us went to the hosp for smoke inhalation. well a bunch of us midnight guys are getting put in for a bunch of awards!!! which is nice that we are getting something positive about the police dept!!!!!
ok.... time for bed!!! i'm beat!!!
later....
:cheers:
-JOHN
68 Charger R/T, SOLD =/ sniffle sniffle
01 BMW 740i SPORT  
01 Hot Rod Harley Dresser, SOLD =/ =/