News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Valve Covers

Started by Blade, October 23, 2007, 09:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade

Does anyone have a pic of an original '68 440?  I need shots of the driver side and passenger valve covers as I am trying to get my car looking as original as is possible.

Thanks!!

Blade

RD

i sold a set of 68 valve covers to moparhound, you might want to pm him to see if he can shoot you some pics
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Just 6T9 CHGR

Drivers side is the same 68-69.  Should have NO tabs with just the provision for the breather (see pic)

68 pass side has a bracket in the center of it for the heater hoses (69 does not) and a provision for the PCV valve as well as 4 tabs

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Blade

Excellent!!  That is exactly what I needed!!!  Thanks!!

440fan

What gaskets do you recommend and how do you install? Just remove covers and install or do you need a sealer?

Blade

I went to my local dodge dealership and picked up a new set of rubber valve cover gaskets ($40.00?), unbolted the valve covers, cleaned off the old gasket, made sure the channel around the valve covers were straight (sometimes their a little bent around the mounting points because of overtightening; just take a small hammer, a block of wood and straighten), lay the new gasket in the clean channel, and replace valve cover being careful not to overtighten.

Blade

6T9...

Would these be considered correct for '68.  The passenger side seems to be like yours with the exception of what looks like an ignition wire routing provision for two wires....

Just 6T9 CHGR

Those pics are not of my car....I swiped them off ebay  :whistling:

The drivers side is incorrect because it has a wire tab (fairly easy to remove if need be)

The pass side actually should have the tab that the drivers side has on it...not sure about that extra bracket either.....they look like C body covers to me....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Rolling_Thunder

C-body....     

not correct for your needs
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

gtx6970

Quote from: Blade on October 24, 2007, 09:32:39 AM
6T9...

Would these be considered correct for '68.  The passenger side seems to be like yours with the exception of what looks like an ignition wire routing provision for two wires....

those are 67-68 C-body valve covers

also - the pic above , the heater hose bracket that the hoses go thru should NOT be engine color - thought you might want to know

Just 6T9 CHGR

Bill is correct as usual :iagree:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

Could someone please post a picture of the correct passenger valve cover for a 69 charger with 440.  What I am particularly interested in is the clips spot welded on the cover.  There appears to be 4.  Two in the surface next to the intake manifold that you bend over to retain wiring and two that are "L" shaped pieces that I think you put a ignition wire or ignition wire loom into.  From what I can make out from some of the pictures on here, one of the "L" shaped pieces is about 1/3 of the way from the front bolt attachment hole toward the back bolt attachment hole.  And the other "L" shaped piece is on the back portion of the valve cover but on the "inside" flat area (more toward the intake).  I'am OK on the drivers side.  Just need pictures of the passenger side.

The reason I am asking is that my 440 engine came out of a 69 C body and I think these covers are the same as for the B body with the exception of the clip positions.  As hard as the doggone covers are to find, I am planning on trying to reposition the clips to the proper "B" body locations.  Not real sure how I am going to get them off if necessary since I think they are spot welded on.  But the covers I have are perfect except for this issue.

I apologize if this info was on the site somewhere and I missed it as I did try the search feature first.  Thanks. 

Just 6T9 CHGR

Hopefully this pic helps....its small but all I can find of my "naked" cover

I do have to take mine off in the coming month to do a repaint & gasket job....maybe then I can get a better pic.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

That view gives me the data I need. 

The 69 C-body 440 valve covers appear to be the same as the B-body's with the exception of the clips.  The drivers side has two of the "L" shaped ignition clip holders where the B-body one doesn't have any.  In addition, neither the B-body or C-body drivers side cover has the bend over wire tab retainers.  As far as the passenger side goes, both the B and the C-body have the same three bend over wire retainers.  The middle bend over retainer appears to be mounted slightly higher on the C-body cover--not a big deal.  There are two "L" shaped ignition clip holders on the C-body passenger valve cover just like on the B-body.  The only difference is, on the C-body, the one to the rear of the front bolt is positioned just a little lower than the B-body one is--not a real big deal.  In addition, the rear "L" shaped clip holder is mounted slightly lower in the same location as the B-body, but, is flipped around.   

These clips holders and wire tab retainers are all spot welded on.  If I have to, I will grind off the "L" shaped clips on the drivers side.  May do the same to the one on the back of the passenger side and braze on one flipped the correct direction from a junkyard cover.  I figure you can get these off but you might destroy the doner cover doing it.  If they won't come off, I'll make one out of sheet steel and braze it on.  I'll post pictures when I get these done.  This will be a good spring project.

Many thanks to Just 6T9 CHGR for this invaluable assistance.

Chatt69chgr

I think somebody just bought themselves a nice set of 69 C-body valve covers off EBAY.  They were advertised for a 68-69 383-440 and said they came off a 69 B-body 440 Magnum.  They are exactly like the ones that came off my 69 440 I got out of a New Yorker with the exception that it appears that the middle twist over wire retainer is missing on the passenger side.  These went on 3-11-2008 for around $167.  I saw this auction about 15 minutes before it closed and they were something like 60-70 dollars.  I quit watching it since I really wasn't interested.  Interesting, huh!

68mmcharger

What color should the heater hose bracket be?

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: Chatt69chgr on March 13, 2008, 10:05:09 PM
I think somebody just bought themselves a nice set of 69 C-body valve covers off EBAY.  They were advertised for a 68-69 383-440 and said they came off a 69 B-body 440 Magnum.  They are exactly like the ones that came off my 69 440 I got out of a New Yorker with the exception that it appears that the middle twist over wire retainer is missing on the passenger side.  These went on 3-11-2008 for around $167.  I saw this auction about 15 minutes before it closed and they were something like 60-70 dollars.  I quit watching it since I really wasn't interested.  Interesting, huh!
The last time I was bidding on a set of valve covers for a 69 440 on ebay they went over 400.00!  I took a pair of 68's ( got for free ) cut off the wrong tabs and that will work for now.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.