News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

ATTN: Closet Ford guys! Need stereo help...

Started by Mopar440+6, March 13, 2008, 10:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar440+6

Heres the deal. Very close friend just finished his 1970 Mach1 351 4spd car (pix below). I've spent many hours helping him work on this car and I've put the stereos in most of his daily drivers. Anyway, I was talking to him today and it seems that the 6x9s in the rear deck just aren't cutting it and I've been given the task of figuring out how to be able to hear music over 3" exhaust. :METAL:

He would like to keep the car as original as possible (i.e.- nothing we can't undo or hide). The car is wired for front speakers we just have to figure out what speakers will fit and where to put them. He is dead set against cutting the vinyl door panels but he is fine with cutting the carpet on the bottom of the doors. I have no idea where to start with this thing but I've seen some pretty stealthy stereo installations on here so I know you guys can help... :2thumbs:

Thanks in advance and, as required, pics...

"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

2Gunz

First thing the best thing you can do to help the car audio is to put sound deadner in the car.

It truly is the most cost effective way to enhance the cars audio.

I dare say I have one of the best audio systems out of most of the cars here.

2 x 10 L7 Kicker solo Barics

2 x 6x9 Alpines in the back deck

2 x Polk Audio 4x6's in the doors

4 Channel Amp for the Mids and Highs

2 Channel 2000 Watt Class-D amp for the Subs

A 4 farad Cap to smooth the voltage

An Optima battery.

a 120+ Amp Alternator

Its is Loud as hell. And its also clean..........

But.... It still doesnt cut it when Im in the Go pedel, and many times just cruising.

I have yet to install a Sound deadner, and the reality Ive come to is I should have started with that.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/   will give you some ideas.

Put in sound deadner.

Then spend your money on AMAZING door speakers and an Excellent amp for the Door speakers and

the rear speakers.

I will post more when I get more time.

68 CHARGER R/T

i'd work on the front stage.i would hunt down another pair of kick panels and try and get a pair of components (mid and twetter) mounted in there if 6 1/2 is to large i'd try 5 1/4 get a good amp like a kicker or rockford fosgate 4 channel to power it and the 6x9's or if you want to and a sub i would get a multi channel amp like a 5 or 6 channel . 

2Gunz

If your looking for loud, just go buy whatever the best buy guys tell you.

If your looking for good, you need to ask a few questions to yourself (or your friend).

Which is more important, the look or the sound?

If its look.... is that look... bling bling I got a huge honkin stereo, or is it stealth.

Realistically how much money do you have to spend?

What kind of music do you listen to mostly?

You into normal Bass or stop your heart bass?

Here is a post of my showing my door speaking install.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,21757.30.html

Mopar440+6

He wants a stereo loud enough to be able to cut through the engine sound when he's cruising. But me being me (I'm a little bit of an audiophile) I won't let him put a POS set of speakers in the car. So we're looking for good and with a quality system, loud is pretty much there anyway.

-The look is not important at all. He doesn't want to be able to see the speakers in the first place. Sound quality is all we're worried about.

-The money is there, no question about that... :whistling:

-He mostly listens to classic rock.

-He has already stated that he wants normal bass. No subs, no amps.

What Im trying to figure out is how to put speakers in the doors (no room for a kick panel install) without destroying the original doors/doorpanels. We're going to have to cut the doors, no way around that. However we want to leave it looking as stock as possible while creating a decent front stage. The doors on this car are relatively narrow (compared to any of my Mopars) so I don't have a whole lot of mounting depth to work with. Im trying to find a website that actually lists the mounting depth of the speakers but no such luck yet. The way 2Gunz installed his door speaks gives me some ideas but I'm still lookin...
"If you cant fix it with a wrench, get a hammer. If that doesn't work, get a bigger hammer!"

Ryan

just a fyi, but any good set of speakers are going to require an amp, and will sound terrible without one. Most good speakers are about 100 watts RMS, and most headunits put out about 12 watts rms maybe 20 per channel. If you hook a good speaker up to that power source it will be terribly underpowered and will sound like they are blown. So plan on an amp for the speakers. Just because you have an amp doesnt mean that you are going to have insane bass, it is just going to make everything clearer, louder, and crisp.

Anyways I would definatly hook an amp up to the rear 6x9's and as far as the fronts go...... dont those cars take an under dash speaker similar to a old mopar? if they do I would make a braket to mount two smaller speakers like some high end 4 inchers in its place. And power that all with a 4 channel amp that puts out around 100 watts rms per channel.

good luck
69 charger r/t Triple Black
   572 HEMI, Passion 5 speed, 4.10 Dana under construction

2014 viper TA