News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dyno Carnage

Started by firefighter3931, March 08, 2008, 09:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter3931

A member on another board had his 20k engine on the pump and it didn't go so well.  :P I really feel for the guy....that had to suck, real bad !  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Anyway, the link below is a vid of the carnage....beware if you have kids around as there are several F-Bombs dropped which is understandable under the circumstances.  :RantExplode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Kh-A08FAc

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

hutch

What was it that caused the driver side to blow out like that? Rod?
In the words of Colonel Sanders,,,   "I'm too drunk,,, to taste this chicken"

Rolling_Thunder

:popcrn:   maybe a head gasket ?   I would think a rod would look a little more spectacular...       that does suck hard...    but shit happens...   you can always build another one
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

MoParMetal

looking for another one
xbox gamertag: mprmtl

Blown70

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on March 08, 2008, 11:21:20 AM
:popcrn:   maybe a head gasket ?   I would think a rod would look a little more spectacular...       that does suck hard...    but shit happens...   you can always build another one

I have seen rods pop a hole and not much more than than even less....just a bit o' smoke and a motor not running.  I remember looking straight through a 400 chevy  She let go bad but again was just a puff of smoke and oil trail as it took out the pan when the crank broke.... :rotz:

Rob R

OUCH..!!  probably an alum rod engine...didn't have that sound of billet rods smacking into cast...we call that leakin rods...

very sorry to see that...

Steve P.

That is only the second time I have seen a motor blow on the stand.  The first was caused by a head gasket pushing water into the cylinder. Water does not compress and the motor found that out quickly. That one took 2 rods and pistons, the crank, a cap and of course the block. 

Not that this is ever a good thing, but I would rather have this happen on the stand than in the car. I left a small block Chevy rod in the pavement along I-90 just East of the Weedsport exit.  High speed, hot headers and a window in your block is a scary thing. Not being able to see a thing and spinning around in the wet median with no idea if your heading into on comming high speed cars. Well, let's just say I learned a big lesson that day.

I feel for the owner and builder of that motor. That truly sucks.
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Challenger340

Definately NOT a good day,  I feel for the guy !

IMO, Kind of underlines the need, when having a "Performance Engine" built somewhere, to have it delivered Done, Finished, and DYNO'd

That way, these type of "mishaps", are NOT your, The Customers problem, rather, the BUILDER has a BIG problem !

On another Note;
Very good reason when buying "crate engines", to take them to a reputable Dyno Shop for initial start up, break-in, and "test".
It's the only way at all you will have any claim for warranty whatsoever, in the event of something like this. Most Crate Engine "warranties" aren't worth the paper they are written on, even the gm ZZ572, if you just install, and wreck something.

Looks to me like a massive Internal failure, Connecting Rod or thereabouts, and took out the side of the Block. Waaay too much coolant in "one swoosh" to be a Head Gasket.

Apologies for the rant

Bob out.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

471_Magnum

I'd like to hear the story behind this one.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

bull

Ouch! Did it window the block? Looked like it to me. :brickwall:

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 09, 2008, 01:42:20 PM
Definately NOT a good day,  I feel for the guy !

IMO, Kind of underlines the need, when having a "Performance Engine" built somewhere, to have it delivered Done, Finished, and DYNO'd

I just had a 528 Indy Crate hemi in the shop that was dynoed and it had PLENTY of problems

mally69

If any one gets the scoop on what happend to that engine  post it up, man I just hope this kind of thing never happens to me. Very sorry to hear that happend to him. :eyes: ::) ::)

68_charger

Challenger340

So I gather from reading the thread on Moparts, that the guy assembled the Engine himself ?

Very sad, my Heart "Bleeds" for the guy ! These things are too damn expensive nowadays.

That said,
In the Engine Machining Business,  It's up to the guy ASSEMBLING the Engine, to insure that EVERYTHING is satisfactory, and, to his/her liking. CHECK and DOUBLE CHECK.

As for the "story" behind this event, I'm guessing it'll end up with a bunch of Finger Pointing. On Moparts he's already alluding to "had 3/4 journal re-chromed", or, "repairing" from a prior "oopsie".
And,
"everything was checked"

Obviously he forgot the Engine DIAPER,
geez !
That thing just plain SHAT Itself !

firefighter3931

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 10, 2008, 01:26:09 AM

As for the "story" behind this event, I'm guessing it'll end up with a bunch of Finger Pointing. On Moparts he's already alluding to "had 3/4 journal re-chromed", or, "repairing" from a prior "oopsie".
And,
"everything was checked"

That's my take on it Bob....welded up crank that failed.  :P

On a build like that it seems foolish to bandaid parts together to save a few bucks. Of course hindsight is 20/20 but there's a lesson to be learned from all this.  :-\

With the kind of power this 572 would be making there's no way I would ever consider using a repaired crank....the downside is too brutal  :Twocents:

A real shame !  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Runner

lots of strokers have been biult through the years with welded up cranks  including early fuel motors.  so i wonder, if it was done right and lets say it wasnt a budget crank, he might have been trying to save more than a few bucks. at least by my standard. 

but i guess  in the end it cost him plenty. sad to see thats for sure

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

Rolling_Thunder

thats what you get for trying to string out alot of HP with out shelling out the $$$

max

That's my take on it Bob....welded up crank that failed.  :P

On a build like that it seems foolish to bandaid parts together to save a few bucks. Of course hindsight is 20/20 but there's a lesson to be learned from all this.  :-\

With the kind of power this 572 would be making there's no way I would ever consider using a repaired crank....the downside is too brutal  :Twocents:

A real shame !  :icon_smile_blackeye:

Ron

i read into the samething about the repaired crank and as you stated in a big dollar engine such as that, a bandaid is the last thing i would have put in it.

don't get me wrong i feel really bad for the fellow, but that is no place to cut corners and his measurements from what i read were never given out on that crank journal.

Challenger340

In the "Old Days", to repair MY OWN stuff, I've burned in a bunch of Stainless into a Stock Offset ground Forged Crank. Repaired a bunch of Cracks along the rolled Filet.

It was the only thing, we could collectively, put our heads together as a "good enough match".

We just ground it, porosity and all, back to size and it ran. Finished a season, probably 100 runs !
But we weren't making anywhere near that kind of power, probably only 550 or so.

These Days, I don't think anybody in their right mind, would chance repairing an Aftermarket Crank, their own, or a Customers, given the relatively "cheap" prices these things can be had for.

IMO, he was trying to cheap out, and got stung. "That's Racing" I guess.

Bob out.