News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wow! 11 sec 318 charger

Started by ereru7, March 11, 2008, 03:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ereru7

OMG! met a guy at the strip this weekend who made a few passes in the 11's with a 69 charger. we met up with him in the pits, and wow, yes it was a 318. no aluminum heads!!! he had a stock looking set up. full interior car. i gave him props. he wouldnt give much build info though. :shruggy:

73chgrSE

daytonalo

Nitrous will make anything go fast !!!

Ghoste

And 318's look the same as 410 strokers.

chargerkid01

318s are bad ass motors boys! Dont knock them. they run forever. My charger came with a 318 and thats what is going back in it after its rebuilt of course. Now back to they run forever My first vehicle (1988 Dodge Ram 1/2 ton 4wd) Grandpa bought it new then handed it down to me when I got my license three years ago still has the original 318, original tranny, drive shafts, and rear ends has 338000 on it No shit that was not a typo!! See Grandpa drove it all over the state of ohio working road construction, then we used it on the farm, then I got ahold of it hehe. The only thing ever changed on it was the radiator, belts, oilpan, valve cover gaskets, and main seal for the tranny plus a new paint job 7 years ago me and my dad did that great learning experience for me. So those who have 318s think twice before getting rid of it they are a mean motor!!! oh and guess what we still have that old dodge and it is still running strong! My cousin is driving it now ( his chevy to a shit and he sold it )

ereru7

daytonalo

I owned many 318's before you were even a wet spot !!! Great engine for a 4 door , 440 or Hemi in anything else !!! Questions ???

Runner

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

chargerkid01

I doubt it would do 11s but it does pull a 285 massey ferguson like its a tonka toy!! they are good motors dont knock them oh and why would there be a 350 thats a chevy motor duh!!

Ghoste

Nobody's knocking them, we're just pointing out the fact that a small cube engine with small valves and ports has it's work cut out for it to move a two ton car down the 1/4 mile in 11 seconds.

73chgrSE

My friend growing up had an mid-high 11 sec Cuda with a built 360.

Challenger340

Nothing wrong with a 318, except it's a "wee-18".

It's a little bit tiny, to be putting out THAT kinda power !

Methinks, somebodies yanking somebodies Melon.

Quote from: Ghoste on March 12, 2008, 03:48:43 AM
And 318's look the same as 410 strokers.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

superduperbee

I ran low 12s with a 318 73 Road Runner, but I had W2 heads to make that kind of power.

Ghoste

Did you do the build?  If you did, it'd be interesting to know the mods you did to it for other folks wanting to run a 318.

ereru7

kinda ticks me off that there are disbeliever mopar guys in here. i have seen chevy 302 and 305's run 12's in impalas. but because its not the holy hemi or 440, it cant run that? i have seen some tuff 318's.  :angel:

Ghoste

Trust me, I have as much skepticism for 302 Impalas running 12's.  Although at least with the 302 there is performance hardware available to make them run.  Remember, the 302 was developed as a RACE engine for the TA program.  The 318 was intended as a passenger car mule.  Chevrolet put a lot of development into their smallblocks and whether we like them or not, the results speak for themselves.  The 318 can be made to run but it requires a lot of work, why not start with everything in your favor?
I'm not saying any of what you are telling me is wrong, I"m not saying that at all.  I am only saying that I'm skeptical without actually knowing what's really in the engine.  Racers tend to be a little "secretive" about some of their builds.

69Chrgr

Not real sure about the 318, but quite a few guys here don't want to admit that a stroker smallblock eats a lot of bigblocks here, no doubt. I have both, although my bigblock(Hemi) is work in progress. But my 408 smallblock would take about 80% of the bigblocks on this site, I would even love to prove it if some of them had the balls to meet me locally. I love bigblocks and smallblocks, both have their place. An A body stroker smallblock is a hard combo to beat. However, in my 69 Charger, it needs a bigblock to move all that mass. For some reason, smallblocks are a nasty word on this site however ::). It's the same in Chevy land too, smallblock vs. bigblock. I watch Pinks all the time, and the smallblock wins most of the time, regardless of make, Chevy, Ford, or Mopar. The only Mopar to win Pinks all out was a smallblock. :nana: I can't wait to actually compare the two, once both are complete to compare. It seems most older Mopar guys,(and I respect the hell out of them) don't know much about stroker smallblock Mopars because they've just recently become popular, therefore they compare them with all of the old stock 318's. I'm sure I'll get flamed after this post by someone.

Runner

Quote from: 69Chrgr on March 29, 2008, 12:58:43 PM
Not real sure about the 318, but quite a few guys here don't want to admit that a stroker smallblock eats a lot of bigblocks here, no doubt. I have both, although my bigblock(Hemi) is work in progress. But my 408 smallblock would take about 80% of the bigblocks on this site, I would even love to prove it if some of them had the balls to meet me locally. I love bigblocks and smallblocks, both have their place. An A body stroker smallblock is a hard combo to beat. However, in my 69 Charger, it needs a bigblock to move all that mass. For some reason, smallblocks are a nasty word on this site however ::). It's the same in Chevy land too, smallblock vs. bigblock. I watch Pinks all the time, and the smallblock wins most of the time, regardless of make, Chevy, Ford, or Mopar. The only Mopar to win Pinks all out was a smallblock. :nana: I can't wait to actually compare the two, once both are complete to compare. It seems most older Mopar guys,(and I respect the hell out of them) don't know much about stroker smallblock Mopars because they've just recently become popular, therefore they compare them with all of the old stock 318's. I'm sure I'll get flamed after this post by someone.

dollar for dollar, pound for pound same compitant engine biulder the big blocks win.  no doubt about it, small blocks can and do run well.    the reason they may not get much respect around here is becasue this is a charger sight with big heavy cars.   is your 408 in a b body, and how fast is it?   

69Chrgr

No, my 408 is in a 68 Cuda notchback. I just had a violent experience with it, as it snapped the welds on the spring perches, snapped the u-joint, shoved the snubber into the floor pan and broke in half, and damaged the driveshaft yesterday. I can tell you, a stroked smallblock is nothing to take lightly, as I myself learned yesterday. Yes, pound for pound, the bigblock wins, but the old mentality of stick a bigblock in everything, especially an A-body, is not always the best solution, especially for those that like to turn left and right every now and then. There seems to be some here who think if it ain't got a distributor in front and the engine doesn't weigh 650 pounds, it ain't no good! Again, not everyone, just some. Bigblocks(and I love them!) is not always the only way to go in every dam Mopar body made. Turning left and right without plowing is much less nerve racking.

69Chrgr

Oh yeah, I ran a traction limited 11.54@114 @ Texas Motorplex in Ennis Texas before the M/T ET 275/60's. Now my lawnmower is about the only thing I can run as the whole reard suspension/driveshaft has crapped the bed.  :icon_smile_dissapprove: I'm pretty bummed out now. :brickwall:

Runner

sorry about your problems,  id i agree small blocks definatly have thier place.    the small block mopar has made huge gains in the last 10-15 years.    ive been beat by lots of them.      it looks like you have a good running car.       did you hurt the body of the car?.      i love the a body cudas.

hemihead

318 is a great motor for transportation purposes . Never was intended for Hi - Po use . I know of 340 's  and 360 ' s that will put alot of the vaunted and worshipped big blocks on the trailer . Even in B - body cars . Don't ever underestimate the Small block .
Note : There was a 350 MOPAR engine and it was a BB .
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

C_stripes

:notworthy: :notworthy: 318's  :notworthy: :notworthy:

You do realize that there is not much HP difference from a 67-71 318 2 bbl and a 72-73 340 4 bbl??
I'm smarter than I act, But I don't act smarter than I am.

69Chrgr

Quote from: Runner on March 30, 2008, 01:38:22 PM
sorry about your problems,  id i agree small blocks definatly have thier place.    the small block mopar has made huge gains in the last 10-15 years.    ive been beat by lots of them.      it looks like you have a good running car.       did you hurt the body of the car?.      i love the a body cudas.
No, I got real lucky. I wasn't going but maybe 25 or 30 mph when it happened. But it was a real eye opener. Luckily, the body is o.k., but it could have been much worse. I have much more respect for the car than I did before. Is that your stable of cars in your avatar? After I finish the Charger, I am wanting to build a Road Runner. I noticed some dam nice ones in your pics. Do you have all of those right now?