News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wow! 11 sec 318 charger

Started by ereru7, March 11, 2008, 03:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Death1970Proof

I've seen some 318's that were just all out tough!! You can stroke them to a 390 to  :icon_smile_big:. Unlike a 340, people will just about give you a 318 block to get it out of the way. My '70 charger will have a small block and not to brag but Id say it'd put alot of much larger engines on the trailer. I like big and small blocks ,but never underestimate what any small block mopar can do. There are some sick fast ones out there :2thumbs:
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

Ghoste

Quote from: C_stripes on March 30, 2008, 03:01:43 PM
:notworthy: :notworthy: 318's  :notworthy: :notworthy:

You do realize that there is not much HP difference from a 67-71 318 2 bbl and a 72-73 340 4 bbl??

You do realize that 340 were grossly under-rated to begin with and that in your comparison the 318 is gross hp and the 340 is net?

hemihead

Quote from: Ghoste on March 31, 2008, 03:46:33 AM
Quote from: C_stripes on March 30, 2008, 03:01:43 PM
:notworthy: :notworthy: 318's  :notworthy: :notworthy:

You do realize that there is not much HP difference from a 67-71 318 2 bbl and a 72-73 340 4 bbl??

You do realize that 340 were grossly under-rated to begin with and that in your comparison the 318 is gross hp and the 340 is net?
They didn't call the 340 " Little Hemi " for nothing .  :2thumbs:
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

69Chrgr

Quote from: MorePwr on March 30, 2008, 10:36:26 PM
Quote from: 69Chrgr on March 30, 2008, 10:48:27 AM
No, my 408 is in a 68 Cuda notchback. I just had a violent experience with it, as it snapped the welds on the spring perches, snapped the u-joint, shoved the snubber into the floor pan and broke in half, and damaged the driveshaft yesterday. I can tell you, a stroked smallblock is nothing to take lightly, as I myself learned yesterday. Yes, pound for pound, the bigblock wins, but the old mentality of stick a bigblock in everything, especially an A-body, is not always the best solution, especially for those that like to turn left and right every now and then. There seems to be some here who think if it ain't got a distributor in front and the engine doesn't weigh 650 pounds, it ain't no good! Again, not everyone, just some. Bigblocks(and I love them!) is not always the only way to go in every dam Mopar body made. Turning left and right without plowing is much less nerve racking.

What's the matter hickboy, farm welds dint work too goot?   "Aint" isn't a word  smart guy  :2thumbs:
I thought you and I agreed not to speak? Maybe I should get your mother to weld them, as soon as she parks her gravel truck for the weekend maybe I can hire her.

69Chrgr

Fair enough. Then I'll hire her to make me a lasagna. And it better be good dammit.

Runner

Quote from: 69Chrgr on March 30, 2008, 04:26:41 PM
Quote from: Runner on March 30, 2008, 01:38:22 PM
sorry about your problems,  id i agree small blocks definatly have thier place.    the small block mopar has made huge gains in the last 10-15 years.    ive been beat by lots of them.      it looks like you have a good running car.       did you hurt the body of the car?.      i love the a body cudas.
No, I got real lucky. I wasn't going but maybe 25 or 30 mph when it happened. But it was a real eye opener. Luckily, the body is o.k., but it could have been much worse. I have much more respect for the car than I did before. Is that your stable of cars in your avatar? After I finish the Charger, I am wanting to build a Road Runner. I noticed some dam nice ones in your pics. Do you have all of those right now?

glad to hear your body diidnt get hurt, ive seen chevys break an axle at the track and do mean things to quarterfenders bwecasue of the c-clip axles.  if i owned a chevy id definatly have c-clip elimnators.

i do have all the cars in the sig right now.   im a little embarrassed to have them all to be honest.   every car except the 71 roadrunner was bought as a project,  thats the only way we couuld afford them. and even the 71 roadrunner work has been spread out over 24 years.  we, as a family pretty much just like our old cars so thats what we spend our money on.

71 roadrunner 452 e heads  11.35@119 mph owned sence 1984
72 panther pink satellite sebring plus 383 727
68 satellite 383 4 speed  13.80 @ 102 mph  my daily driver
69 superbee clone 440    daughters car
72 dodge dart swinger slant six

69Chrgr

Quote from: Runner on March 31, 2008, 04:16:35 PM
Quote from: 69Chrgr on March 30, 2008, 04:26:41 PM
Quote from: Runner on March 30, 2008, 01:38:22 PM
sorry about your problems,  id i agree small blocks definatly have thier place.    the small block mopar has made huge gains in the last 10-15 years.    ive been beat by lots of them.      it looks like you have a good running car.       did you hurt the body of the car?.      i love the a body cudas.
No, I got real lucky. I wasn't going but maybe 25 or 30 mph when it happened. But it was a real eye opener. Luckily, the body is o.k., but it could have been much worse. I have much more respect for the car than I did before. Is that your stable of cars in your avatar? After I finish the Charger, I am wanting to build a Road Runner. I noticed some dam nice ones in your pics. Do you have all of those right now?

glad to hear your body diidnt get hurt, ive seen chevys break an axle at the track and do mean things to quarterfenders bwecasue of the c-clip axles.  if i owned a chevy id definatly have c-clip elimnators.

i do have all the cars in the sig right now.   im a little embarrassed to have them all to be honest.   every car except the 71 roadrunner was bought as a project,  thats the only way we couuld afford them. and even the 71 roadrunner work has been spread out over 24 years.  we, as a family pretty much just like our old cars so thats what we spend our money on.

Then that's what I'd call family values. Awesome! That SuperBee is kick ass. Hell, all of them are. If you're ashamed of any of them, you can keep them in my shop so you don't have to worry about them. ;D Have you had any of them at the track?

chargerkid01

Don't anyone say a word but now I cant argue big block or small block anymore!! I love my 318s but guess what guys and gals I'm in the process of buying another charger and guess what it has a 440 in it.. I hope everything goes through it should be here within a cfew days.

Runner

the roadrunner gets raced 3-7 times a year.    best pass is a 11.35@118.46    with 4.57 gears   a switch to a more streetable 4.10 and the best so far is 11.37@119.92 mph.     the superbee clone is my daughters car and hasnt seen the track yet.... i really have no idea how fast of slow it is it does have a fresh 440 in it but coming up with the cash to race it is something she hasnt done,  closest track is 100 miles away..  the 68 satelllite has gone a best of 13.80@102 mph with my wife driving when it had the auto and a 2800ih converter  and 3.23 gears on bfg radial t/as, not fast but not horrible i guess for a car that gets driven everyday, when i left for work this morning it was snowing!  i have no idea what it runs now with the 4 speed, i dont know if its faster or slower but its fun to drive. the pink car is a bone stock 318 its pretty slow, but a fun cruiser. i dont ever really drive it, its my wifes thing.   the dart is kind of a car that my wife bought for 250 dollars with a blown up slant 6.  we bought a used slant 6 for 100 bucks and got it running.... nothing real speical there.

im not embarrassed of the cars, its kind of hard to explain but i guess im kinda embarrassed that i have 5 of them......   

Nacho-RT74

and ppl keeps despiting about THOSE LITTLE 318  ::) :rotz:
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

JimShine

You can see what a 318 can be built into here http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,283.0.html

The question I asked myself was "Is it worth doing?" For me its not. You start out with more HP and torque in a big block stock configuration. You can take either motor over and above if you are willing to throw money at them, but bottom line is the big block will always have more potential in the end. It just depends on how far you are willing to go.

Nacho-RT74

worths doing if:

-you are outside USA and is the only engine you have around

-rare matching number and want to keep factory engine

-wants to challenge with a "little" SB

-wants a "sleeper"

-show what is posible with a SB, getting practically same numbers than a mild BB

-lighter setup

-on nowdays save some gas on street and still get PERFORMANCE

etc...

same about /6 owners
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html

Runner

i buy some of your points but if you really care about the numbers matching motor then there are 2 ways to deal with the motor. the first is to biuld it stock and live with what it puts out and never push it, the second is to put it in the corner and biuld a bigger small block if your wanting alot of power.   

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Runner on April 05, 2008, 12:25:45 PM
  i buy some of your points but if you really care about the numbers matching motor then there are 2 ways to deal with the motor. the first is to biuld it stock and live with what it puts out and never push it, the second is to put it in the corner and biuld a bigger small block if your wanting alot of power.   

well you can still spice it up inside, use 302 heads and keep stock outside, so no one will know what you really have there... perfect sleeper :D

at the end is taste stuff ;)

Death1970Proof

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on April 05, 2008, 11:41:42 AM
worths doing if:

-you are outside USA and is the only engine you have around

-rare matching number and want to keep factory engine

-wants to challenge with a "little" SB

-wants a "sleeper"

-show what is posible with a SB, getting practically same numbers than a mild BB

-lighter setup

-on nowdays save some gas on street and still get PERFORMANCE

etc...

same about /6 owners

Right on!!

Never underestimate the 318

You can take an A body slap some 3.55's or 3.91's out back ,use a lunati voodoo 268 (494/513), with a mild converter,shaved 360 heads w/3 angle valve job, your choice of a good dual plane intake (weiand stealth or eddy rpm air gap) and carb, then bolt on a cheap set of headers with some MSD ignition and let me tell ya ....you will surprise more than one person with this..... :o

I like small blocks including 318's because unlike some mopar engines, 8 of 10 times people will let you have them FREE. Punch it out to a 390 and let em wonder  :icon_smile_big: . Same with a 408 , done right they are plum POTENT!!

My charger will be small block powered. Im in debate with using a 390 or 408. I like bb's to but with a small block I can have a car that runs cooler and handles better. Seems all the bb's we have had ran on the warm side. I can also use a 904 which takes alot less power to run than a 727.  :Twocents:
"Remember when I said this car was death proof? Well that wasnt' a lie-this car is 100%death proof- only to get the benefit of it honey you really need to be sitting in my seat"...

Ghoste

Interestingly, nearly all of these 318 builds involve stroking it out to the 400 inch area.   :icon_smile_wink:

RD

Quote from: Ghoste on April 08, 2008, 11:38:47 AM
Interestingly, nearly all of these 318 builds involve stroking it out to the 400 inch area.  :icon_smile_wink:

makes ya wonder why they dont just get a b block 400? :D
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

Nacho-RT74

maybe one or all the same reasons explained above :P ;)

Ghoste

My point was just being a little sarcastic Nacho.  I was noticing that almost everyone who posted about a powerful 318 had stroked it nearly a hundred cubes.  It isn't really a 318 anymore after that.

chargerkid01

thats no worse than people taking 440's and strking them right??? I guess then you don't have a 440 then do ya. Its all on people's preferance to what motor they want!!!

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Ghoste on April 25, 2008, 04:44:47 AM
My point was just being a little sarcastic Nacho.  I was noticing that almost everyone who posted about a powerful 318 had stroked it nearly a hundred cubes.  It isn't really a 318 anymore after that.

yeah I got it ;D... but as stated:

maybe one or all the same reasons explained above ;) :P

Ghoste

Quote from: chargerkid01 on April 25, 2008, 05:56:34 AM
thats no worse than people taking 440's and strking them right??? I guess then you don't have a 440 then do ya. Its all on people's preferance to what motor they want!!!

And people with 500+ cubes often try to pretend their motors are smaller too.  The point I am trying to make is that to propel a 3800 pound car down the track with 318 cubic inches takes a LOT of work and that most of the people who have responded with posts about powerful 318's have either stroked them to 400 cubes and/or put the engine into a much lighter body. 

AmadeusCharger500

I kept the 318 in my car for one of those reasons stated above. It is the original engine. I like the fact it is the original engine. I like the fact some old guy owned this car for its whole life and only put 40k miles on it, so I want to keep some of its originality. The engine is the soul of my car.
I also like the fact I might get decent gas mileage and still have a really cool car to drive to work sometimes(5 miles away). I know there are a lot of 1/4 mile guys here and their views are bent on that, and I had hopes of doing this one day too. But practicality allows for me driving my car to work and around town. I can still blow some cars off at the lights too!

I also did some of the mods stated above. 302 heads with a 3angle, edelbrock performer rpm intake, Lunati voodoo 262 cam(.475,.494), and set of hedman headers. I've been running it around town since the rebuild without reallly doing a good job tuning it and it still runs damn strong!
Finally got my head on straight and began timing and tuning the carb. Its easy to get lost in the fun of driving your "new" car.

chargerkid01

Exactly I never ever plan on running my charger down the track I have the original 318 and thats what is going in it!! now if I bought a non #s matching car it would definatley be a 383 or bigger is is the originality of the motor and my piont is a 318 is still potent as I said before I have an 88 ram with 337000 ORIGINAL miles on the ORIGINAL 318 still runs fine today and stills hauls the big farm tractor around and oh yeah its a half ton automatic 4x4.

RallyeMike

Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 05:50:34 AM
Quotehas 338000 on it No shit that was not a typo!!

Posted by: chargerkid01 Today at 01:51:28 PM
QuoteI have an 88 ram with 337000 ORIGINAL miles on the ORIGINAL 318

Too bad you can't get it out of reverse.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/