News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A/C Heater Box Restoration

Started by gasoline_24, February 26, 2008, 10:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gasoline_24

I have completely disassembled my heater box and repainted.  I purchased the kit from Detroit Muscle to refurbish.  I am now reassembling and am unsure on how to go about gluing the white styrafoam pieces on to the front of the box.  Has anyone done this?  If so what did you use?  I have tried several diffent spray adhesives, but the melt the styrafoam.  3M makes a styrafoam adhesive.  Is this the only product to use?  Will it withstand this sort of application?

Chatt69chgr

Might want to call the guy at Detroit Muscle Technologies and just ask him.  And when you find out, please post what he says since I have the same kit and will tackling this job before too long.  Thanks.

gasoline_24

I ended up going with Gorilla glue.  It worked great.  I got my heater box all back together today.  I am still waiting for the motor to be rebuilt and then I am all finished with it.  Next I am going to tear into the windows regulators and power window motors.

Chatt69chgr

http://detroitmuscletechnologies.com/pdfs/66-70%20B%20Body%20Non%20AC%20Heater%20Box%20Resto%20Rev1.1.pdf

I pulled the above link straight off the Detroit Muscle Technologies website.  It's a pdf file for rebuilding a non-ac b-boby heater box and discusses glues as well as recommended paints.

gasoline_24

I saw that and called the guy I bought the kit from and was told that they did not know what to glue the styrafoam on with.  I chose the Gorilla glue as it was readily available and knew it would stick to both surfaces.  I would recommend it to everyone.

Chatt69chgr

Thanks for the update gasoline_24.  This sounds like a good question for the 3M adhesives tech rep.  If I can figure out how to contact them, I wil do so.  It's getting now that all these companies are getting rid of their customer service and tech people to save money.  Getting harder and harder to find tech information.

rudyjrusa

Quote from: gasoline_24 on March 01, 2008, 09:26:03 PM
I ended up going with Gorilla glue.  It worked great.  I got my heater box all back together today.  I am still waiting for the motor to be rebuilt and then I am all finished with it.  Next I am going to tear into the windows regulators and power window motors.

were did you go to get the blower motor rebuilt??  i am having a hard time trying to find a new one for a 74 charger with A/C.

4aThrill

I am all most done putting my A/C box back together, things that you'll need that are listed with the kit but are not in the kit.
1 - 3M adhesive spray I got the 77 super Adhesive
2 - 3M Black Strip Caulk

They sale both of these items at any local Napa or hardware store

make sure that you read everything then go back go over it  afew more times again. 

One other thing to note if you had to buy a new heater core from the auto parts store it may be different, my bracket on the tubes were wrong had to break the solder to make it work, and then were the foam attaches to the heater core the bracket on there was backwards. all simple fixes.

:cheers:

gasoline_24

I sent it to this guy:  http://www.julesdaddio.com  I have not received them back yet so I cannot say what his services are like.  I have heard good things about him though.

4aThrill

gasoline_24,

Holly smokes dude kinda outta my budget for that deal rather go through the heater box myself plus it's really simple to take it apart paint it and put it together with new hardware saving a ton a money doing it yourself and more knowledge to ya anyways.   :cheers:

gasoline_24

I did the heater box myself.  The motor is what I sent in.  It is around $150 for a complete rebuild.

Back N Black

Is the heater motor different on a A/C and non-A/C ?

gasoline_24

As far as I know it is.  The motor on an A/C unit sticks through the firewall into the engine compartment on the passenger side.  I believe it is a different motor all together.

4aThrill

on the 71's the A/C blower motor is attached to the firewall then runs inside the box  :cheers:

gasoline_24

Goldfinger71

Hey Gasoline'

Don't worry about Jules!He does great work! :yesnod:He did my wiper and heater motor a few years ago here is pick of my engine,you can see the wiper motor a little.Heater motor is out due to a friend and I taking the the heater box out for a rebuild. :coolgleamA:   Jules is also a fellow board member over at Moparts. :yesnod:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

rudyjrusa

Quote from: gasoline_24 on March 09, 2008, 11:22:01 PM
I did the heater box myself.  The motor is what I sent in.  It is around $150 for a complete rebuild.

does the person have a web address??

gasoline_24

Goldfinger71

Rudy'
Here ya go!

http://www.julesdaddio.com     :icon_smile_cool:
1971 Charger R/T   GY9 Dark Gold Metallic, V1Y Gold Top, GY4 Light Gold Interior- A/C, Rimblow, PW, Front Disc, AM-FM, Tach, Light Package, Slotted Tips, Trailer Tow Package(MIA)and a few other odds and ends...including a luggage rack!

rudyjrusa