News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what type and color paint for exhaust manifolds

Started by rav440, March 08, 2008, 04:39:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rav440

just wondered what you guys think is the best paint and way to paint exhaust manifolds . im leaning towards getting the EASTWOOD powder coat hot coat system the $100.00 type .
but ive also been thinking about these two types of brush on paint & colors .

GRAY

STAINLESS STEEL

thanks RANDY  :cheers:
1973 PLYMOUTH road runner GTX

bill440rt

Spend the extra dough & get them Jet-Hot coated. Looks much better & lasts waaaaay longer!!
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

rav440

Quote from: bill440rt on March 08, 2008, 08:54:12 PM
Spend the extra dough & get them Jet-Hot coated. Looks much better & lasts waaaaay longer!!
:Twocents:

what is JET HOT COAT ?  :shruggy:

8WHEELER

I jet coated mine, the first time 5yrs ago, within one year they rusted. Had them redone, less than a year
later rusting again.......... I will not do it a third time  :rotz:, my other cars manifolds have the Eastwood
high temp paint on them, did it 6yrs ago, the still look great today............

This is what my jet coated manifolds look like after one year, and then done again, but other people
seem to have better luck   :shruggy:

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

rav440

:o

8WHEELER , did you use the EASTWOOD brush on or powder coat ? what color ? grey or stainless steel ? could you post a photo ?

bill440rt

Jet Hot:

http://www.jet-hot.com/

I had mine beadblasted BEFORE sending them off, they go thru another cleaning process at Jet Hot.
They've been on my '68 8yrs now or so, no problems. They've been on my '70 over 10 years, however that car doesn't see as much miles.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

rav440

:2thumbs: nice   :cheers: the ones on the purple car look great , looks like they were ground down smooth before they were coated  :shruggy:

:cheers:

8WHEELER

Quote from: rav440 on March 09, 2008, 07:42:01 AM
:o

8WHEELER , did you use the EASTWOOD brush on or powder coat ? what color ? grey or stainless steel ? could you post a photo ?

By the way, the two sets of manifolds I had Jet Hot Coated, were bead blasted before taking them in, that is a no brainier.

The manifolds on my wife's car are the ones I put the Eastwood paint on. The color is a little darker than jet hot, but
I myself  :shruggy:  have had better luck with it. This is a picture of her 68 RT Charger manifold, about 5yrs after doing
the Eastwood paint, it does not get out anywhere near as much as my other cars, so it still looks a little shiny....

I used a 1 inch brush on the two sets I have used Eastwood paint on, it is pretty shiny for a while, but it will tone
done after many heat cycles.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

bill440rt

I've also heard of other people using other products on their manifolds with great success. Whatever works for ya! That's what makes this 'site so good, different ideas & opinions! :2thumbs:  :cheers:

The manifolds on my '68 were initially done in the Eastwood stuff as well. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against it. It's a good product, & works great if you don't have a big budget. But I found I had to touch it up every 2-3 years or so to get that "fresh" look back again. The Jet Hot has held up very well for me, sorry to hear about your bad experience Dan. There are other companies out there that also do ceramic coatings like Jet Hot.

rav440, no, the manifolds were not ground smooth. The car is just fairly low mileage & the engine compartment was in great shape when I first bought it back in the late '80's. There was no heavy pitting on the manifolds, they were in GREAT shape.

Best of luck with whatever product you choose.

rav440

thanks guys  :cheers: just for the info factor what does JET HOT cost ? i went to thier site but i didnt see any price list and i didnt have time to fill out the form .

thanks again RANDY  :cheers:

bill440rt

Quote from: rav440 on March 10, 2008, 06:33:25 PM
thanks guys  :cheers: just for the info factor what does JET HOT cost ? i went to thier site but i didnt see any price list and i didnt have time to fill out the form .

thanks again RANDY  :cheers:

Best thing to do is simply call them, really. I had the ones done on my '68 back in the late '90's or so, I'm SURE the pricing structure has changed by now. I can GUARANTEE it will be more expensive than the Eastwood stuff!!  :D
Good luck!

1969chargerrtse

20 yeras ago I painted the eastwood on my 396 Camaro and don't remember any issues, so I did the Charger the same way using the Cast Iron color.  Problem is I don't have an engine to mount them to yet.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I Jet-Hot coated mine as well....twice.   First time it lasted 3 years & 2 months.....rust just started peaking through when looking hard enough for it.  Jet-Hot offers a free recoat if rust comes through within 3 years.  Anything after that its half price.
They were nice enough to grant me the free recoat.
So far this is the 4th year after that recoat & its holding up.  It really depends on where/how your car is stored.  My garage is unheated outside in the elements.  When the temp changes here (cold to hot) sometimes in the AM my car is literally dripping wet with moisture.... :rotz:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

I have had good luck with the VHT Nu-Cast Exhaust manifold spray paint.  When my engine was running extremely hot, the only thing that happened to them was that they turned a bronze tint in some areas.  Aside from that, they look perfect.  Of course, I have not had a chance to check them out over the winter with being busy with my daughter and looking for a house.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto