News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

another disc brake help needed topic

Started by poppa, March 09, 2008, 06:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

I plan on upgrading to disc(power)brakes.I have power drums now.Do I need to change anything with the booster or master cylinder? What is all inside the booster and can I take it apart to clean and paint?
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

Ghoste

I would at least change to a disc master cylinder.  They have a little more capacity to ensure enough fluid is there to move the disc pistons.

Chatt69chgr

I don't know if "correctness" is important to you but I think the disc brake cars used the Bendix dual diaphram booster and the drum cars used the Midland Ross booster.  They are different in appearance.  You can't get the Bendix and if you did have it, you would need to send it off to be rebuilt as it has bend tabs to take it apart.  I think the Midland Ross has a band clamp that allows you to take it apart.  I have no idea where you could get a rebuild kit for it.  Prior Brake Systems in Texas rebuilds boosters.  They used to do all the rebuild work for NAPA.  I had my Bendix booster rebuild by them for $86.50 a couple of years ago.  Of course, you might not need to rebuild yours.  If yours was shot, you can buy these new.  I do not know if there would be a problem using a drum booster on a disc appliication.  If nobody here knows, you might call Pirate Jacks in Asheville, NC and ask them.  They have been real helpful to me in the past.

poppa

Thanks,I'll have to keep that in mind...
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.